• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

1/3 of the season over-1st Trimester report (EPL)

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
After watching highlights of all our Premier League matches -the following stood out:

1. We are still really vulnerable at set pieces-particulalry corners. We still don't do enough with offensive set pieces.

2. We have missed so many very good chances to score!

3. We have only scored 3 or more goals against teams with 10 men.

4. Injuries have still be an everpresent-However, they (fingers crossed) look like clearing up soon.

5. Rosicky had a great start to the season but needs a GOAL!

6. Nasri has been the main man so far this season. Chamakh has been a wonderful addition.

7. Our away form has been pretty darn good- a lovely surprise.

8. Our recent home form has been surprisingly lacklustre-not a lovely surprise.

9. Without playing great football we find oursleves nibbling at the champions heels in what appears to be the most open title race in recent years.

10. Most of our goals scored have come down our RHS and most goals conceded have come down our LHS.

11. Arshavin regardless of his stats has been generally disappointing even though he retains match winning potential.

12. We are still prone to making costly mistakes.

Grade B+

Our 2nd trimester begins with a NLD-what better way to kick off our push for glory than with a victory against the auld enemy!

Feanor

Established Member
Given our recent history, we're heading for a miscarriage...would love a premature birth...

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
LOL.............I tell you man, supporting this team feels like a pregnancy at times but the analogy was with a school term report....

Anzac

Established Member
IMO I don't see anything markedly different to recent seasons - some gains here & there with some same issues elsewhere = incrimental improvements & our CL form flatters to decieve.

IMO we're still not as good or solid as we were in the opening half of season 07/08, and we're not as dynamic in attack or midfield as we were at the opening of last season. Yet again AW has changed players, roles & patterns from 1 season to the next = constant state of flux which still indicates for me that even he doesn't feel he's got it right as yet.

Bottom line = improved but already we see that we're still reliant upon other contenders slipping up as much as ourselves.

Y va marquer

Established Member
"already we see that we're still reliant upon other contenders slipping up as much as ourselves."

Are we?

We're 2 points behind Chelsea and we've still to play them at home, would that not mean that we have control over our own destiny?

We can concentrate on our own games in the knowledge that if we put a run of wins together we do not have to rely on anybody slipping up.

The fact that Chelsea are are currently experiencing problems has work to our advantage but we are in this position because we bounced back from defeat to Newcastle and earned 2 hard fought away wins in the space of a week.

Anzac

Established Member
Y va marquer said:
"already we see that we're still reliant upon other contenders slipping up as much as ourselves."

Are we?

We're 2 points behind Chelsea and we've still to play them at home, would that not mean that we have control over our own destiny?

We can concentrate on our own games in the knowledge that if we put a run of wins together we do not have to rely on anybody slipping up.

The fact that Chelsea are are currently experiencing problems has work to our advantage but we are in this position because we bounced back from defeat to Newcastle and earned 2 hard fought away wins in the space of a week.

Had it not been for 2 recent 'shock' losses CFC could have been 8 points ahead of us. Likewise we're 1 point ahead of ManU because they keep drawing.

For me our position has more to do with our rival's struggles for form/consistancy compared to previous seasons, than our own improvements/consistancy - hence the comment made earlier. And yes I realise that this puts us in the mix for the title, but I think it is more realistic to expect CFC to buy to cover their long term injuries & for ManU to find some form, than for us to find form & consistancy post Feb.

Herbas

It's just the one way of thinking.
I think the other way (teams outside top4 are stronger now and make lives for Arsenal, Chelsea, MU more difficult and thus make them look worse) has also a very solid foundation.

Anzac

Established Member
Herbas said:
It's just the one way of thinking.
I think the other way (teams outside top4 are stronger now and make lives for Arsenal, Chelsea, MU more difficult and thus make them look worse) has also a very solid foundation.

Agreed.

The new breed of managers are playing football, keeping the ball on the ground & taking the game to the BIG boys, thus making squad strength more important than ever, which is where we've struggled whilst developing players.

Kain

Established Member
redanddread said:
After watching highlights of all our Premier League matches -the following stood out:

1. We are still really vulnerable at set pieces-particulalry corners. We still don't do enough with offensive set pieces.

We can be a bit slow to react it's still a concern when defending set pieces however it seems a league problem everyone’s having trouble with defending in such a physical league not just us.

This will come back to haunt us, we still however have the second highest goal tally in the league and I believe the highest goals scored in the champions league (which could possibly go on to be some record if we get 2 more goals?)

This was a concern for me at the start of the season when Chelsea were very much annihilating everything in their path, we currently have the gap closed to six goals but if anyone knows the value of goals difference in order to garner silverware it's us.

4. Injuries have still be an everpresent-However, they (fingers crossed) look like clearing up soon.

Injuries cannot continue to be an on-going excuse, If Wenger continues to carry on with injury prone players then the crux falls on him. If you however check the Everton away game not only did we field a seriously strong eleven but the bench had some fantastic talent squad depth as of now seems strong.

Not to concerned about Rosicky, he's a squad option as opposed to a must have first choice. He does however seem to have a steely character (If not body) which must help behind the scenes.

6. Nasri has been the main man so far this season. Chamakh has been a wonderful addition.

I couldn't agree more. It goes to show just how vital pre-season is for top flight football players, in which Nasri was robbed of last season with his broken leg incident. Theo and Nasri even Djourou who looked rather poor in pre-season have all benefited. I do wish Wenger would take a Ferguson approach when it comes to international football basically telling them to **** off. Changing league and being as productive as Chamakh has been a real pleasant surprise, his work rates good but his intelligence is under rated and far higher than I’d of hoped for (no youtube compilation can show that). Sagna has also been an absolute Titan.

7. Our away form has been pretty darn good- a lovely surprise.

8. Our recent home form has been surprisingly lacklustre-not a lovely surprise.

We've almost done a 180 degree turn on Away fixtures, our Away form has been fantastic, and to the point where you almost look forward to an Away game more so than a Home fixture. This could be key to winning the league. As important as having a home fortress is, going away in the league and consistently picking up the three points is a hard job, I fancy our chances much more of turning our Home form back round then say the other way around, having great Home form and needing to turn the Away from around. We do still however have a problem in Away Champions League fixtures.

9. Without playing great football we find oursleves nibbling at the champions heels in what appears to be the most open title race in recent years.

Great football is winning football. Everyone can beat anyone in this league, nothings set in stone and NOTHING should be taken for granted.

10. Most of our goals scored have come down our RHS and most goals conceded have come down our LHS.

Teams target our left flank; it's a weakness that needs to be rectified little point in dragging another topic into a Clichy-Gibbs debate. When we play Clichy-Arshavin down the left and have Wilshere as the left side of the midfield Duo teams fancy their chances a bit more of attacking that side when they have possession than say the right side with Sagna-Theo/Nasri and a brick-****house Song helping to guard them.

11. Arshavin regardless of his stats has been generally disappointing even though he retains match winning potential.

Just don't understand the consistent need to discredit Arshavin on this forum, he was never going to blow teams away with 14 km per game work rate, get it out of your heads already. He is however an absolute madman in the final third, that first goal against Everton was thanks to him getting across the pitch to the right, dragging the defence and putting it on a platter for Sagna to drive home.

12. We are still prone to making costly mistakes.

Everyone makes mistakes in football there is no perfect footballer no matter what some like to believe, you simply need to learn from your mistakes and do your utmost to prevent them from happening again which has been the bane of the latest generation of Wengers Arsenal.

mo50

Established Member
Anzac said:
Y va marquer said:

Are we?

Had it not been for 2 recent 'shock' losses CFC could have been 8 points ahead of us. Likewise we're 1 point ahead of ManU because they keep drawing.

There's no point talking about if's though, is there? Had we beaten the 2 newly promoted teams, and not let that goal in against Sunderland, we'd have been top of the league quite comfortably.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
My "First trimester report"

Positives

Our defensive ability as a unit. Ive been impressed with the 11 man defensive displays. Seeing Fabregas going for a slide tackle in the box against Everton on the weekend was fantastic to see.

Our goal keeping performances. Fabianski and Almunia before him gave us assured confident performances at the back, in relation to before. This has started to translate into our defensive partnerships in terms of belief and understanding.

Many players in form. The likes of Sagna, Song, Nasri, Clichy, Rosicky and to a lesser extent Wilshere and Walcott has kept us playing good positive football, even in the face of severe negativity from our opposition.

The adaptation of our new players. Koscielny, Squillaci, Chamakh and yes even Djourou coming into the setup and doing as well as they have has been.

Wenger's consideration of the Carling Cup. Yes, our team has more players to call on now, but one has to take the Carling Cup team against Sp**s into consideration for example. We see that he is giving it a shot on all fronts, and long may this continue.

A fairly good injury record, touch wood. We have had a relatively good injury return this season.

Shooting from outside the box.

Negatives

Disorganisation in defence. Yes I mentioned the group defensive displays we have shown is a positive, but it still doesnt hide how clueless we are at defending. Having Fabianski and Djourou competing for MOTM over the last couple games is proof that, as much as we have improved, we are still pretty weak in this area. It also tells me that as long as we are weak here, we are short for serious silverware.

Our low goal to chance ratio. Still a major concern for me. We create too many chances that end up as nothing in the end.

Dwelling on the ball and allowing teams to reform defensively.

Conclusion

Whereas it is still early to make final predictions for me, I will say that my thoughts would still lean to us finishing short this year. I think we have a good chance at the Carling Cup.

I would however say that we have grown from last year, but we are still behind 07-08 imo. The true test would be in March, the area where all aspects of the game are tested (physical and mental). An area we havent coped with since 03-04.

Grade: C

otfgoon

Established Member
Theoretically you could win 36 league games and draw 2 and you'd still be relying on your rival to slip up.

It's a blunt point.

And isnt this thread pretty much exactly the same as the 10 game thread except with a 'fun' school based theme?

qs

Established Member
redanddread said:
1. We are still really vulnerable at set pieces-particulalry corners.

I really don't think thats true.

No more than anyone else really. Every clubs fans think this.

We've won 4 games by 3 or more with no red cards for the opposition. Braga, Shaktar, Sp**s and Newcastle.

He's been ****e lately.

Really? I'd like to see stats to back that up.

qs

Established Member
Anzac said:

For me our position has more to do with our rival's struggles for form/consistancy compared to previous seasons, than our own improvements/consistancy - hence the comment made earlier. And yes I realise that this puts us in the mix for the title, but I think it is more realistic to expect CFC to buy to cover their long term injuries & for ManU to find some form, than for us to find form & consistancy post Feb.

We don't exist in a vacuum. We drop points against teams and so do our rivals, that has to do with the strength of the teams we all face. Thats how a league works.

As for United being more likely to find form than us I don't see why. I think if anything its more likely those draws will turn to losses, they've been very lucky so far.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
Well, we haven't scored as many as we have conceded. That means the other teams, on a average, score more than they concede.

Which means it is an area we can definitely improve in.

Edit: Even though this looked logical, in the face value, it isn't because a team might be decent in defending them but might be bad at scoring. Also, we've scored a few in Europe. Don't remember us scoring in the league apart from Chamakh's goal against Blackpool.

qs

Established Member
I hate when people say "its an area we can improve on" so it passing, doesn't mean we're bad at it.

I remember seeing stats a few weeks ago of the goals conceded from corners from teams and we were nowhere near the top. I'd suggest everyone in the league concedes goals from set pieces regularly enough, I don't think its a big problem for us. I think our defending from open play at home is more of a problem.

Top Bottom