• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

1 Pass 2 Many

calisto

Confirmed in the game against Blackburn again I reckon there's some confusion in our attack. Passing when we're suppose to shoot (Pires and Hleb are Culprits) and giving the ball alot to Henry. Players respect him too much and forget he's not a playmaker. I suggest the playmakers should try and create space for him or find other strikers, like Fabregas linked up well with Adebayor. We should mix our quick passing with crossing the ball and finding the point man (that's what we bought Adebayor for). Gunners, stop passing to the state of confusion, Wake up!

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
Some players seem to be afraid of taking the responsibility to shoot for goal, like it wasn't me who missed the goal gov honest. I like RVP he at least will try from all angles, he does not seem so intimedated by Henry, perhaps they are afriad to shoot because of that factor,,? I wish to god they would stop trying to walk the ball into the net is does my head in, I find myself shouting for feck sake shoot. :x

gunnerGH

Established Member
I dont think this is always the problem though it is always pointed out on MOTD. There was one example of this in the bbrn game in which eboue shot over.

We just havent had as many opportunities this season.

I think it has to go to the wings....which are terrible

kel varnsen

Established Member
blablabla. this is the way we've always done it. if someone takes a shot prematurely, the chance is wasted. we've always tried to navigate us into good positions. that is why we used to create so many chances. by taking a shot whenver there is an opening, you will, most of the time, end the attack too soon and thus wasting a good chance.

changing this now, will only add to our problems.

Saville

yeah he is right though! van persie scored the winner from long rand against birmingham..ok scrapped in over Maik Taylor but still went it! he scored one against wigan from long range! come of the keeper but yet again still went it....its a risk you have to take and Van Persie isnt scared of taking risk's!

1970*Gooner

Established Member

SaViLlE_06 said:
yeah he is right though! van persie scored the winner from long rand against birmingham..ok scrapped in over Maik Taylor but still went it! he scored one against wigan from long range! come of the keeper but yet again still went it....its a risk you have to take and Van Persie isnt scared of taking risk's!
Thats why he will be a hit with the fans, no fear :lol:

1970*Gooner

Established Member

kel varnsen said:
blablabla. this is the way we've always done it. if someone takes a shot prematurely, the chance is wasted. we've always tried to navigate us into good positions. that is why we used to create so many chances. by taking a shot whenver there is an opening, you will, most of the time, end the attack too soon and thus wasting a good chance.

Yep I agree, there is a time to patient, but sometime I feel we are being over cautious, its no good passing it around the box if nobody is prepared to shoot. Yes I appreciate we must keep possession but we gorra shoot more.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
One thing that never gets a mention is the way teams play against us. The way teams play against us everytime we get the ball we're faced with two solid banks of players (4/5 or 5/4) who drop to the penalty box. That means any shot has got to get through 9 players. The number of times I've heard people shout 'shoot' when the guys got 4 or 5 defenders and a keeper between him and the goal. I mean there's deflections and there's bleedin pinball!

The only way round is to either dribble/pass through or to go round. Either Cole or Clichy will make a massive difference because they have the instinct to provide the width that not only gets round defences but also stretches the defence over the whole width to make the passes through viable.

Simple really.

Saville

lampard always takes longshot and he scores...van persie and henry both have the ability so why dont they use it

calisto

all I am saying is that once in a while we look for an alternative when the opposition's box is crowded, find the 6ft3 striker's head or shoot hoping for a deflection.

SaViLlE_06 said:
lampard always takes longshot and he scores...van persie and henry both have the ability so why dont they use it

Lampard has about 20 shots agame because he gets a licence to thrill with makelele and essien behind him......no wonder he scores alot of goals. we havent got a makelele or an essien to protect the back 4. (Nobody say gilberto does it please :evil:)

When we do "the so called passing it into the net" :lol: , everyone says great goal and what a move etc. However i do agree that sometime we do it too much sometimes, especially away from home. The only problem with shooting from distance is that diaby.fabregas,hleb,pires (besides against liverpool away) ljungberg and adebayor cant shoot from distance. Hopefully fabregas will add that to his game, maybe if they tried abit more then maybe they would get better, but i do think we should stick to the way we try to play, and try to put the chances we are creating away!

ebhenry

get into good positions and pull the trigger. and whats up with this exiled in newcastle chap. always feels like he's extremely smart or something, bashing peoples threads. this aint a logic or math class, it's for opinions and emotions.
i say aim and fire. blank wall defence or not. because either of the follwoing may happen. 1. you geta good rebound. 2. u get a good deflection that throws the keeper off guard. 3. the ball bounces off the keeper and some one taps in eg pires @ Sp**s and 4. if your shots are hot enough, you may notice that defenders will turn their backs to you, you can then "dummy" round them and pass or well...shooot again!!!!
howz zat!!!!

Gunner4life09

I agree completely, We do pass way more than we should - well during attack anyway. I can't even reember the last time we've scored a goal outside the penalty box.

There has been countless times i've yelled watching arsenal play when i would shout "shoot, shoot, shoot!!!" but they don't, They try to pass it around too many times to create a "great" goal. Don't get me wrong i love arsenal's style of play, its what sets us apart from so many teams BUT we need to shoot more, take more chances.

Some of you say if we shoot and miss this ends the attack but if we've failled a million times trying to pass it into the goal we atleast have to give shooting a try? I don't mean shoot for 30-40yards.

I think players are jsut afrid of Henry, if they miss he'll frown and give thema dirty look or something but as someone has said RVP doesnt "give a ****" he'll shoot from anywhere he wants to and he's been pretty successful. Players like Reyes and Helb should foloow suit. atleast try it.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Gunner4life09 said:
I agree completely, We do pass way more than we should - well during attack anyway. I can't even reember the last time we've scored a goal outside the penalty box.

There has been countless times i've yelled watching arsenal play when i would shout "shoot, shoot, shoot!!!" but they don't, They try to pass it around too many times to create a "great" goal. Don't get me wrong i love arsenal's style of play, its what sets us apart from so many teams BUT we need to shoot more, take more chances.

Some of you say if we shoot and miss this ends the attack but if we've failled a million times trying to pass it into the goal we atleast have to give shooting a try? I don't mean shoot for 30-40yards.

I think players are jsut afrid of Henry, if they miss he'll frown and give thema dirty look or something but as someone has said RVP doesnt "give a s**t" he'll shoot from anywhere he wants to and he's been pretty successful. Players like Reyes and Helb should foloow suit. atleast try it.
Too true, they might get to like it :lol:

longrufus

Established Member
kel varnsen said:

Wenger in disguise? :wink:

Its not one pass too many that has hindered our game, its the style of play. Without cole and lauren to a lesser extent we suffer from a severe lack of width in our play. 'exiledinnewcastle' already touched on this.
We have become too easy to defend against, our play is so predictable that managers now have a simple gameplan they stick to which will nullify us going foward and cause us problems defensivly.

I could give an opposing team pre match talk to any team about to face arsenal, and i know it would work if the players worked hard.
Get your challenges in, break the play up before it starts, as far up the pitch as possible, they dont hurt you on set plays, but be careful around the box.
When they get the ball. Firstly, drop deep, so they cannot exploit the room behind with their pace. Secondly, 2 narrow banks of four, pack the middle, they wont play it wide and cross it, so make them play through us.
Most importantly, deny them time and space, and pressure the ball.
When you get it, play it long, and run like hell.

As simple as it sounds, all we need to do is add variety to our play, teams know how we play and how to defend against it, we need to take the odd long shot, get the ball wide, whip crosses in, do the unexpected. Once this happens teams will no longer be able to 2nd guess us, games will open up slightly and wengerball will prevail.

longrufus

Established Member
ebhenry said:
get into good positions and pull the trigger. and whats up with this exiled in newcastle chap. always feels like he's extremely smart or something, bashing peoples threads. this aint a logic or math class, it's for opinions and emotions.
i say aim and fire. blank wall defence or not. because either of the follwoing may happen. 1. you geta good rebound. 2. u get a good deflection that throws the keeper off guard. 3. the ball bounces off the keeper and some one taps in eg pires @ **** and 4. if your shots are hot enough, you may notice that defenders will turn their backs to you, you can then "dummy" round them and pass or well...shooot again!!!!
howz zat!!!!

Awful idea, to base your gameplan around the luck of how the ball bounces? Yes, some players should maybe shoot more, but only when in good positions. The solution to our problems is not as simple as how you say... aim and fire

chachacallis

we need better wingers to cross and Stretch the opposition player across the field, thsi will provide us more space in the middle,allowing us to play better.

TheEconomist

Established Member
i think its a lack of confidence, i believe once we get a winning run of 2 or 3 games the shots will be flying in left right and centre.

Gurgen

Established Member
ebhenry said:
i say aim and fire. blank wall defence or not. because either of the follwoing may happen. 1. you geta good rebound. 2. u get a good deflection that throws the keeper off guard. 3. the ball bounces off the keeper and some one taps in eg pires @ **** and 4. if your shots are hot enough, you may notice that defenders will turn their backs to you, you can then "dummy" round them and pass or well...shooot again!!!!
howz zat!!!!

Or 9/10 times the shot will get blocked, saved or won't even hit the target! Hard isn't it, football!

:roll:

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom