• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

1.st time in Arsenal history without British-born player

Status
Not open for further replies.

pv_ice

which british born youngster going to Arsenal first team or first XI ?
D.Bently? Ryan Smith? Hoyte? Taylor? Ryan Garry?

sorry to say tat but i afraid none of them..

N how london supporter going to support their home town team tat filled without their hometown player?
i really miss the time when Arsenal had
Seaman
Dixon Keown Adams Winterburn

they also used to play with England National Team rite?

_scorpion_

Established Member
pv_ice said:
which british born youngster going to Arsenal first team or first XI ?
D.Bently? Ryan Smith? Hoyte? Taylor? Ryan Garry?

sorry to say tat but i afraid none of them..

N how london supporter going to support their home town team tat filled without their hometown player?
i really miss the time when Arsenal had
Seaman
Dixon Keown Adams Winterburn

they also used to play with England National Team rite?

Its funny how you ***** about forign players, yet your avatar is a foreign player..........i siad this at the start and ill say it again....nothing but a wind up thread!

We have a coach that can scout te world for talent, and your complaining?

Maybe we should never have signed Henry, Pires, Vieria...etc.

Talk about wanting your cake and eating it too! Get a life ffs!

almo

Those were the days!

We had players like Seaman, Dixon, Bould, Keown, Adams, Winterburn, Parlour, Davis, Merson, Smith, Wright, Campbell etc.

Not Bad were they!
:angel

_scorpion_

Established Member
All this thread has poven to me is that racisim exists even in this forum.....stupid, pathetic shame that people can be so perimative....

pv_ice

miss them a lot almo.. :D
so proud of being Arsenal fan in d old day when Arsenal def can direct plug to England Nation team.. :)

goonerkads

I'm sick of this topic to be honest. This is another over hyped piece of media **** again. Wow, we didn't have a British born player in the squad, shouldn't this be celebrated, considering that this is a one off?. Someone made a comment about this not happening is Spain, Italy. You obviously haven't seen Real, or Barcelona, or Ac Milan etc. What if their 'homegrown" players are injured? and they have none in their squad. Would they recieve this back lash, lasting 2 days, no. In conclusion, the media have had 'transfer speculation' to disrupt us with over the last few weeks, now they have nothing so they use this as an excuse to disrupt us instead, how are our 'foreign" players going to feel when they here all this anti-foreign talk?, wake up and ignore it.

sienna

It's just the media trying to screw with our heads again. They'll probably latched on to something else after this has died down.

IndoGunnerz

fact 1
Wenger cant buy young english player because of the stupid 90 minutes drives rules by the FA

fact 2 our foreign 16
Lehjmann - Free
Vieira - 3.5 mill
Pires - 6 mill
Reyes - 11 mill
Bergkamp - 7.5 mill
Flamini-min fee
Van Persie - 2.75 mill
Fabregas - minimal fee
Toure - free
Clichy- minimal fee
Lauren - 7 mill
Henry - 10.5 mill
Edu - 6mill
Cygan - 2mill
Senderos - free
Almunia - free

now see this :
Rooney - 20 mill
Smith - 7 mill
Rio - 30 mill
Lampard - 11 mill
Bridge - 7 mill
Duff - 17 mill
Joe Cole - 6.6 mill
Parker - 11 mill
Glen Johnson - 6 mill

is Duff better than Henry, Bergkamp ??
is Rio + Rooney better than all our player combined ???

also... what is the fascnation with 'British' born players anyway ??? Pool's of the 70's are full with Scotts, now tell me how's that suppose to help the ENGLAND national teams ????

champions04

Well excuse me if Arsenal don't have 30 million to spend on Wayne Rooney or a Rio Ferdinand. I'm sorry but the money you have to pay to buy an english player is an absolute joke. Look at Jonathan Woodgate, real payed about 7 million for him and all he hasn't even played a single game. Owen cost them 8 million. Why would Arsène Wenger go and buy an 8 million pound player when he can get a foreign one cheaper. Yes it would be better to have a team full of english players but as long as clubs overcharge other clubs for their players than you will always see managers looking at foreign players.

sabret00the

Established Member
champions04 said:
Well excuse me if Arsenal don't have 30 million to spend on Wayne Rooney or a Rio Ferdinand. I'm sorry but the money you have to pay to buy an english player is an absolute joke. Look at Jonathan Woodgate, real payed about 7 million for him and all he hasn't even played a single game. Owen cost them 8 million. Why would Arsène Wenger go and buy an 8 million pound player when he can get a foreign one cheaper. Yes it would be better to have a team full of english players but as long as clubs overcharge other clubs for their players than you will always see managers looking at foreign players.
i think it's been proved that you pay for what you get in terms of names, Owen is a former player of the year that makes 8 million cheap, especially at his age, then you talk about Woodgate, no one in their right mind would've bought him, it was jus tsimply stupid, that was shrewd business by Newcastle, nothing to do with English there.

now tell me how many times we've signed a 'name brand' foreign player? wait, Eto' (Owen), C.Ronaldo (SWP) or would that be King (Cafu)? now let's get back to reality we sign players reasonably unheard of from aboard, if we tried to do that in this country we'd be getting bargains just as sweet.

JazzG

Established Member
Aussie said:
Some people seem to be missing the point. It has been explained before but ill do it again just to make sure everyone understands.

The people who are dissapointed that there was not one Englishman on the pitch or even on the bench are not saying that we should buy English players and play them even if they are crap. Its not like there are not world class English players out there. If two players are of the same ablity or close to it i belive the English player should IMO get the preference. Two reasons why

A) Because they are English and we are a English Club

B) Because they wont have to worry about settling in .

If it happened somewhere else to a big Spanish Club or Italian CLub there would be a outrage.

Remember as well. When Wenger first arrived look at the team. As the years have gone buy he has shown a preference for oversea's talent ahead of English talent.

I think you are missing the point mate. All the good english players have been taken up and any that are available come at VERY high prices, I'll give you some examples (note not exact fees but approx what the players could end up costing)

Shearer - £15mill (world record fee I think back in 1996 I believe)
Rooney - £29.75mill
Rio - £29.1mill
Beckham - £25mill
Woodgate - £13mill
Heskey - £11mill
Lampard - £11mill
Owen - £8mill (for a player with 1 year on his contract left and no way liverpool would of sold him to an english club)
Bridge - £7mill
Johnson - £6mill, totally unproven and a rubbish defender.

Then if you go into Div1 and look at young english players who are totally unproven even their clubs want at least £3mill for a totally unproven player which is a rip off. Look at the prices for players like Bridge and Heskey, abroad you could pick up MUCH better players for similar money.

Look at the young english players who have left us, how many of them have gone on to better things? That proves that they aren't good enough.

awooga83

Established Member
Agree that the english players that are available are very expensive. I don't believe we overlook homegrown players but the simple truth is that there are very few top quality english players who we could get that would allow us to challenge for the premiership and champions league and the few there are are too expensive or play for our rivals so are doubley ruled out.

There is also alot of prsssure on english plays to succeed just as the foreign players have pressure to adapt. I think its silly for people to call for for team to have english players in it just because we have too many foreign players because if we did and weren't challenging for trophies then there would be complaints about that.

The fact is there haven't been many english players of a top level and we have two at the moment an the rest are spread between other top clubs. That alone shows when they are good enough they will get into top teams its just it doesn't seem to be the case there are too many good enough for top teams at the moment

AfC_li4nGht

Look at the young english players who have left us, how many of them have gone on to better things? That proves that they aren't good enough.

Okay fair enough...
Upson is good & better than cygan wonder why we sold him?
Wright had a successful spell at everton until being dropped recently
Jerome thomas a regular first-teamer at Charlton
Pennant proved himself in the liverpool match
Jeffer... I don't know what wrongs with him :|

These are the English players we trying to groom:
Ryan Garry
Hoyte
Bentley
Ryan smith

Which one of them do you all sincerely think that they will break into the First XI?
Bentley is most probably the man if none of them make it through, i don't think wenger would buy any english player too...

Okay maybe SWP or steward downing but i think he's over priced

marco

sabret00the said:
champions04 said:
now tell me how many times we've signed a 'name brand' foreign player? wait, Eto' (Owen), C.Ronaldo (SWP) or would that be King (Cafu)? now let's get back to reality we sign players reasonably unheard of from aboard, if we tried to do that in this country we'd be getting bargains just as sweet.

thats bollocks how may bargains are there in england. tottenham this season have paid 8 million for andy reid and dawson!! not to mention davenport for 2 milion.
kolo toure 500,000 for heavens sake is a better defender than both dawson and davenport.
how can you get young british bargains. tom huddlestone highly rated Sp**s bought him for 2.5 million we got fabregas and flamini for 700,000
at the end of the day i support arsenal the football club an the 11 players who play . i dont care where they come from what colour they are and how old they are, i have every faith in wenger tp pick his best team from that.

poeple saying we should british players in our team etc are talking crap, its probably the same people who were moaning about there not being any black players on the FA DVD that came out. people should be playing in our team because they are good enough and english players simply arent good enough. how many youth players that we have let go have ever done anything worhtwhile??

one person in recent years and that is andy cole and we got rid of him because he liked to steal watches
we won 5-1 so why are we even bothering to discuss this. the best english players will come through as did ashley cole

KingReyes

Established Member
1.Wenger was the one that gave the likes of Winterburn, Dixon, Adams, Keown, Seaman, more years in pro football they could have ever imagined. Does anyone appreciate that? No.

2.His English buys like Jeffers and Richard Wright...Where are they now?? Upson was a bench player in our squad but he refused this and preferred first team football.

3.Should we buy Gerrard or Wright-Phillips for over the top prices that Arsenal can't afford just because they are English?? No.

4.Campbell and Cole are England Regulars, Terry and Lampard are the only Englishmen for Chelsea and Gerrard and Carragher are the only for Liverpool. Chelsea's other english players only play few games here and there and Arsenal can't afford to have them on their bench.

5. Ryan Smith, David Bentley, Justin Hoyte are just three english players who have the potential to make it at Arsenal. Of course its up to them to prove they are good enough. Certain players like Sidwell, Chilvers, and most likely Pennant didn't .

My point in all this is I wish we had more English players and maybe Wenger could have given an english player a chance but the bottom line is that its all about quality and not nationality when it comes to playing for Arsenal.

Hill-Wood defends line up.. http://www.football365.com/news/story_143640.shtml

Soler

Established Member
AfC_li4nGht said:
Upson is good & better than cygan wonder why we sold him?

He wanted first team football we couldn't provide.

These are the English players we trying to groom:
Ryan Garry

When was the last time he even played regularly for the reserves? He's got permanent shin-splints and has barely played in two seasons.

kel varnsen

Established Member
jeez. there's a difference between local lads and british players. they're NOT the same. an example: do some of you actually think there would be any difference if we had gerrard instead of vieira? off corse not; they would both be professionals, but neither one is emotionally attached to islington. neither one is brought up in london. neither one is a local lad.

it doesn't matter if a player is from liverpool or amsterdam. it's good to have a few local players in the squad, but who gives a damn about nationality. it's irrational and god damn useless...

seb_afc

Established Member
As an english club i feel it is important to have at LEAST one english player! Look at our team in 89. nearly every single one was british born. Sureley a club like arsenal can produce more players from the accademy instead of buying foreigners all the time. But if we continue to buy foreign players then what chance does it give to the boys in the accadamy?

patrick42uk

Established Member
seb_afc said:
As an english club i feel it is important to have at LEAST one english player! Look at our team in 89. nearly every single one was british born. Sureley a club like arsenal can produce more players from the accademy instead of buying foreigners all the time. But if we continue to buy foreign players then what chance does it give to the boys in the accadamy?

firstly, we do have at least one english player, more than one in fact just not on that particular night. as for the academy boys, do you think wenger would look at a talented boy in the academy and say sorry he wont be makng it because he is english? think about that for a second. will he hinder the success of the club over nationality? the only thing hindering the academy boys that dont make it is a lack of talent compared to the foreigners. is that wenger's fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom