1 to ponder...your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by DOUBLE-YOU, Oct 19, 2005.

1. DOUBLE-YOU

DOUBLE-YOU New Member

This may seem silly...

but do you guys reckon the only reason wenger is still at highbury is because he hasn't won the champions league?

2. Army of Me

Army of Me New Member Elite

probably.

3. qs

qs New Member Elite

As long as he wins it before he leaves Im happy

4. OneProudGooner

OneProudGooner New Member

He still hasn't retained a Premiership title yet also..

5. DOUBLE-YOU

DOUBLE-YOU New Member

because he has brought so much, you kind of feel thank goodness we haven't won the champions league....as stupid as it sounds.

6. qs

qs New Member Elite

Back to backs is bullshit. it doesnt matter. Its just ****e the haters make up. Theres no Back to backs column in the record books.

7. Army of Me

Army of Me New Member Elite

it's probably one of his goals, it wont happen as long as chelsea are doing what they do though, so he may have to drop that one and concentrate on champs league.

seriously, he's done it all except champs league, once thats won, he'll move on/up.

8. yoinkster

yoinkster New Member

i dont think wenger is trophy driven. i think he is driven by his passion for the arsenal. we put faith in him and hes repaid us, i dont see him walking away citing "ive won everything here" as an excuse.
    fungie didnt so why should wenger

9. jeromelee

jeromelee New Member

Also I'm sure he has stock options :wink:

10. Asterix

Asterix New Member Elite

I don't think it's a lack of one trophy that keeps him here. he has re-built this club in his image, from the nwe training complex to the way we play to the new stadium. He will see us into the Grove for a few seasons at least. I'm sure he'd love to stay to build a new team once Dennis, Thierry, Sol, Pires etc have left or are nearing the end. As yoinkster said, the club has shown a lot of faith in him and he can be his own boss - not like working for Deadly Doug or some other club that is a stepping stone to other things.

11. Biggus

Biggus New Member Elite

Dead right Gs.....who mentions it?.... only embittered manuerists who know they will never have unchallenged ownership of it again and WTF would Spudists know about winning a Premiership....

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Still.

Back to back is considered an example of continued consistency.
    Which I agree with. While it's obviously the Man U contingent more then any other that are going to brag and boast, it just makes it all the more nicer to get one out of the way, just to shut them up.

13. gunner_down_under

gunner_down_under New Member

I'm sure it's one of them...the other would be that he's put so much effort, and gained so much recognition from this job, loyalty is also one of the factors...because he's not a scum like Mourniho!

14. jester

jester New Member Trusted

so you think that once he's won it he's got nothing to stay for and will move onto another challenge, or he'll stay and try to create world-beaters year after year.

15. Ricky_AFC

Ricky_AFC New Member

I don't think he has only stayed just because there is a trophy missing from his CV. Along the lines of what Asterix and Yoinkster said there is more to it. Wenger has transformed arsenal and secured a great future for the club. I believe he wants to propel arsenal to the greatest height that he can, until he belives someone else could manage the club better than himself and then he'll move upstairs :)

16. brianfrance

brianfrance New Member Elite

WHat ?? CL has nothing to do. There's the wish of winning it, but above all there's a mission, which will end by a title in the new stadium and a great young squad to start with for the next manager. He wont stop until that. Wenger is doing the best job a manager can do : he wins, but builds at the same time. My feeling is that wenger will leave when the fabregas generation will have won the title, the following manager will have an easier job. Arsène's the man!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No but theres european cups, are Arse called something else in these records.

18. tikepike

tikepike New Member

Arsène wenger at arsenal is more than just about winning everything and then buggering off! if he had won the double in 98 (which he has done) and the champions league in 99 (which he hasnt done, and we all know who has...) then yes he would've said, these are pretty damn good achievements in two years, im off!

but now, he has become a part of arsenal, he is embedded in our tradition, and culture and he is the one who almost founded every single player in the squad currently as a top star, or a youngster on the verge of becoming a top star! he's the one who has single-handedly led arsenal through thick and thin in the last half decade! so i dont believe him winning the champions league (which im certain we will under him, be it cos of our quality or cos of him simply just stayin as manager for many more years to come) will drive him on and out of the club!

no one gets bored of winning, and wenger, is now truly an Arsenal man, and forever will be one!

he was onced asked on french tv, during the days he was linked with real madrid and france, "Tu es a jamais Arsenal?" (you forever Arsenal)

Arsène: " Mais bien sur!!!" (but of course!)

excuse my corniness 8) :lol:

19. Courier

Courier New Member

It probably has a bit to do with it, but I think the freedom, security and POWER he now wealds at the club has a bit to play as well, he is intelligent enough to know that though clubs like Madrid may have been interested he would no doubt have very little control or security there just ask Qeeros :lol:

20. YeahBee

YeahBee Terrible hot takes

We can still win CL dispite of Chelski it is a cup format so everything could happen. Jesus would you had believed me say 2000 if I said that Porto then Liverpool would win the CL.

What do you mean with move on/up I can't see him coach any other super-club and not the national team either because he wants to develop the players. I think he will move on up to a position in the club or a coach over one of those youth acadamys in France