• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

10 Games: Where do we stand?

qs

Established Member
So at the start of the season when judging signings and the state of the squad alot of people said you couldn't tell so early and "ask me after 10 games" So here we are, 10 league games in, going well in the carling cup, almost qualified in the Cl and 2nd to Chelsea by 5 points. We've been disappointed to lose to Chelsea away and shockingly West Brom at home. We've done well to win away to City and Blackburn. And of course we've won the first NLD of the season.

So how do you feel now about the squad, our trophy chances, where we'll finish this season and how good are our new signings?

Shue

Established Member
For me, clear improvement on last season.

Walcott looks to have stepped up, Wilshere has been a lovely surprise and we have the likes of Ramsey and RvP back in full training next week.

The new boys look good, they've all pretty much hit the ground running and should get better too.

Fabianski has been a pleasant surprise. I used to be quite a big fan of his, but I'd lost pretty much all faith. He's been pretty decent lately, better than I think Almunia would have been.

Overall, 8/10. Still a lot of improvement possible, but we're getting there.

otfgoon

Established Member
Feeling quietly confident about things. Great chance of winning the Carling Cup and definitely in with a decent shout of winning the bigger trophies.

Fabanski's recent performances have to be one of the biggest boosts of the season, along with Wilshere's progress.

New signings have done really well.

KY

Established Member
I'm actually pretty convinced by the team. Players we deemed not good enough or have their abilities doubted have stepped up their game and have pleasantly surprised. Walcott, Chamakh, Bendtner all fall into this category. Players have developed and have had coming-of-age appearanceS, like Walcott, wilshere and Nasri.

Keeper wise, the situation seemed to have taken care of itself, as long as Almunia's shadow is never seen again. It should suffice for now.

New players have been more than decent, being absolutely key sometimes.

Still concerned about the form of some players, like Denilson, Diaby, Arshavin and Vela.

Our strength in depth is pretty admirable, with Wenger spoiled for options upfront and even when our key centre back is out long term, we haven't suffered as badly as when Silvestre played. The injury situation in the beginning is what I hope a one off freak incident, but even then we dealt with it admirably.

Tactically we still seem a bit naive and I hope it'll be sorted out soon. Other than the game today, I've yet to see a game where we ground out a result and defended resiliently. We've still susceptible to lapses of concentrations like the WBA and Sunderland game and this is a real concern.

But all in all, I actually feel confident that we can win something this season, if nothing freakish happens. I don't really care if its the Carling cup or the Champions League, I just wanna see some silver on the team!

famous no 10

Established Member
There seems to be something a little different about us this year, more hungry.

I like the new signings, and getting rid of Gallas is proving a positive move imo.

Wilshere looks great and Theo looks like he's finally stepped up.

We may not have quite enough to finish higher than chelski without some good fortune, but I think we'll run them close, and possibly win one of the other trophies.

Rorz

Established Member
Very confident. We've only really had one shocker in the WBA game, the defeat at Chelsea was down to tactical naivety and missed chances. We've been sweeping teams aside in the CL and Carling Cup with a much improved second string, and we're in a comfortable position in the league. It'll take something special to catch Chelsea, but so far so good if you ask me.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
We've improved from last season, although our start to the current campaign being not as good as in 2009/10 (but funnily similar to the one from 2001/02).

Every player has stepped up or at least kept his usual level of performances and the three buys have also been spot on so far.
Very pleased with Wilshere who's been THE biggest surprise until now. Theo also got better and it seems that he can maintain some form albeit being injured and out for several weeks yet again during a season. Nasri has also stepped up, not to forget Fabianski of course.

I still think we're not quite there where we have to be, if we were to challenge Chelsea for the Premier League title, but the signs are great and as long as we win any piece of silverware this season, I'm happy and looking forward to the coming seasons more optimistic than before.

This team has something special and I hope we can transform all the potential into something meaningful.

qs

Established Member
The fact we are still second despite missing Vermaelen and van Persie is a testament to how we've improved. Competing on all fronts too so far. Breaking CL goal scoring records. If luck were to go our way injury wise with us not having many and Chelsea picking up a couple of key injuries I think we could even win the title. I honestly believe we've the best squad. Just that Chelsea have a better first 15.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
I think Shue has nailed it in his reply. The ones we wanted to take a step or 2 up have done so brilliantly, our keeper situation is a little less precarious then it was (not anyway) and the new guys dont appear to be duds.

Just need to break the habit of conceeding silly stuff or loosing matches we should be winning. Id say the same about beating the top teams but we have lost to the chavs, beaten city and drawn to Liverpool (if they even count now?)

Promising that could be a tad better. But happy overal so far.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Still think we'll finish with 70-80 pts which won't be enough to win the League. Fairly similar to last season.

Great chance for the CC though which would be great IMO.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
qs said:
The fact we are still second despite missing Vermaelen and van Persie is a testament to how we've improved.

Hard to argue with this, and Cesc was missing for a couple of the opening matches too. I just hope that our usual luck with injuries stays away now, we would all love to see what the team could if we had some luck with the entire squad staying fit.

I have to say, based on what ive seen so far, this is the most confident ive felt that we REALLY could win something this year. Something ive not felt since, well, 2004/5.

stuart

Established Member
qs said:
The fact we are still second despite missing Vermaelen and van Persie is a testament to how we've improved. Competing on all fronts too so far. Breaking CL goal scoring records. If luck were to go our way injury wise with us not having many and Chelsea picking up a couple of key injuries I think we could even win the title. I honestly believe we've the best squad. Just that Chelsea have a better first 15.

Yea i think id agree with that mate.

Some players seem to have stepped it up a level and it's given us pretty good strength and depth. If we can keep plugging away then get Vermaelen back we're in with a shout and id be disappointed to not win a trophy. Actually, right now, im feeling pretty confident we'll win at least one trophy this season.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
We've basically had to make to without our entire spine so far. I know we lost to West Brom in a rather stupid way but you couldn't really demand a much better start from the team otherwise. Just like last season eventual success will come down to the amount of injuries we get to key players, but most of the squad players took another step in their development last season. It's encouraging.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
What Wenger has expected for a while now seems to be coming to fruition in terms of a team of quality players produced mostly in house. The question now is is it good enough to win titles.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
I think we're doing much better than expected. That one week spell in which we dropped points to Sunderland and West Brom was hugely dissappointing so you can't help but feel it could and should have been even better but not many would have predicted we'd be in second place with our defensive reshuffle and injuries to key players.

On the whole I'm pretty satisfied with how we're doing, especially in the cups.

fabo

6.51 / 10
qs said:
There's quite a difference between 70 and 80 though.

Well basically short of the total needed, which is usually 80+.

Injuries will play a part but even full strength there's question marks about our side......concede too many soft goals, midfield not defending well enough in big games, not scoring enough in big matches.

We'll see, fingers crossed. Delighted we've made a run in the CC though.

mo50

Established Member
We've had a very good start to the season. With Vermaelen and Robin set to come back over the next few weeks, we should be having a full strength squad at our disposal.

Some of our players seem to have stepped up in a massive way. Nasri and Walcott, two much critisiced players, look much better and more effective this season. Fabregas hasn't been effected by this summer's saga, and that's a major plus. Our new signings seem to have bedded in nice and smoothly, and all is going well so far.

I think we'll come up just short of the title, with the way Chelsea are plummeting through teams, but funnier things have happened before. The Carling Cup looks like a real possibility, and I hope we go on to win that.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
We're not doing as well as I would have hoped in the EPL, but there's still time. The other campaigns are going well, and Gallas' absence coupled with our new CBs and Chamakh have all contributed to a more settled outfit. The internal improvements I expected, except that Jack has surprised me a lot. Still gonna wait on Flappy, but there's a glimmer of hope there too.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom