• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

10 Games: Where do we stand?

qs

Established Member
IMO we're 3 points off where we should have been in the league due to that WBA game. That was a farce. Apart from that theres been no other really terrible results.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
The Sunderland game was far more infuriating than the WBA game. We definitely deserved to lose the latter, but the way the former panned out in the way it did left me fuming for 2 weeks.

flobaba

There's been some great individual improvements- Walcott, Nasri, and lately Fabianski. And of course the emergence of Wilshere in the midfield.

The squad is looking really deep, and generally more mature. I like that.

In comparison to last season, at this stage, I think we had just beaten Tottenham 3-0 with that great cameo from fabregas. We were doing well in the Carling Cup (defeated Liverpool), and were doing the usual in the champions' league group stages.

We were also scoring freely. IIRC, there was a thread created to discuss whether we would reach/break the 100 goal? mark (in the league) at the end of the season. We all know how that ended up. Our defending as a whole was, and is still unconvincing.

In summary, apart from a seemingly stronger squad, not much is different performance/results wise in my opinion. I must say I was sceptical initially, but I'm satisfied with the new faces brought in. However, I have learnt over the years that regardless of how high we're flying at the early stages of the season/ end of the year, the really critical period is between March and April.

So far, so normal, so good.

yuvken

Established Member
So far we should be happy for several reasons, in this order:
1. KOS & squill - we have a good D even without TV; Chamakh - good player
(and adding theo and nik's improvement, which will be next item) - we have a
nice front line, even without VP. In sum, our new players are above my expectations.
2. Some players level exceeds expectations: Jack, Fabiansky, Theo - huge steps, and significant steps for Nasri (he was already good, he's now awesome), Rosicky (compare last 2 yrs) and probably Nik too.
3. The worst part of the summer was not covering what seemed like an awful weekness - our GKs. It seemed like AW just didn't finish the job. It's early and risky to say - he was right
even when his loyal fans thought he was wrong. But if the Fabiansky miracle does continue (and even in a worse case - he does flap and fold, it seems Snes is better than we thought: if he needs to get in I won't panic), this is a major boost.
4. One which I can't put into words exactly, it must have to do with mentality and attitude - you just feel this team is different to last year. last year we had a few good points, but even when we closed the gap each time, I never thought we were really good enough.\

Worry:
1. AA - i know, the stats, the big games, etc. But I'm starting to feel itchy about him.
2. Al - like a contained situation, but you don't know if this might not irrupt. I'd be relieved to know AW feels Snes is our No. 2.
3. Still many hick-ups.
4. RVP, TV, and our injury record. Can hurt our story at any point.

otfgoon

Established Member
flobaba said:
We were also scoring freely. IIRC, there was a thread created to discuss whether we would reach/break the 100 goal? mark (in the league) at the end of the season. We all know how that ended up. Our defending as a whole was, and is still unconvincing.

Aye, but we did all that last year with most of our first team and failed to keep it up after Robin got injured. This year we've done it without having Robin in the side to begin with, as well as having Vermaelen, Cesc and Walcott missing too.

Tony Montana

Established Member
Brilliant thread topic.

In terms of the league title then if we carry on at the current pace of winning most games but losing here and there then we're on course for at least 3rd. I know you can say that about Chelsea but they lose less than us. It depends on how United do to be honest but it would be really good to finish second. We need more West Ham results for that. I think Chelsea are just too strong and even if we're level on points with them they have a massive goal difference which of course is like an extra point.

It's good that we're still in the cups but the CL group stages is a given every season. I actually prefer the way we've won two away games in the Carling Cup against premiership opposition. That's wicked and sets us up mentally for the Premier League showdown.

I would give us a 7/10 so far this season. (10/10 is perfection, 9/10 is how Chelsea have done, 8/10 would be if we were on 22 or 23 points so I give us 7. Good season so far).

Mr. Hotshot

Established Member
We look better than City but are behind Chelsea and Man United. Those two, they still look solid and strong. Nasri and Walcott are probbaly the two players that have had a good pre-season and have come back pyhsically, mentally and technically better. Our defence looks much better than it was than 1 or 2 seasons ago with more sensible players in the backline now. And it's pretty obvious Fabregas' achievement in the world cup means that other midfielders in our squad have to step up to his standards so it's going to be interesting how our season will go from here.

qs

Established Member
Quicker than Walcott said:
The Sunderland game was far more infuriating than the WBA game. We definitely deserved to lose the latter, but the way the former panned out in the way it did left me fuming for 2 weeks.

Well the Sunderland game was a draw at Sunderland, we should have won and it was disappointing but I think its much easier to dismiss as just being one of those things that happens in football. Where as there are no excuses for conceding 3 and generally being humiliated at home by WBA.

DK Gooner

Still to early to judge for me. A good win against City, a loss aginst WBA at home.

We have improved on last season which is promising considering that we have 2 new CBs, 3 if we include the rarely seen Djourou. Fabianski's current spell has not led to any negative accusations over the GK situation which is encouraging. Wilshere has emerged as a real 1st team contender and Walcott has become a very dangerous player. We have also kept Cesc which gives a huge physcological lift to the team.

However, the loss to Chelsea and West Brom have shown that there is still a huge amount of work to do. The main concern for me comes from the midfield trio of Denilson, Song and Diaby. While the latter two have improved on last season, they still have a long way to go before they convince me they warrant a starting place if we want to win the title.

I'm still not convinced that Song is good enough yet to be a starter in a title winning team. He has started all of his games poorly and I wont't read too much into his "improved" performances from his last two games. He was against a City team down to 10 men (with Yaya reverting to CB and then coming off) and against a West Ham at home who are bottom of the PL. The crunch will be how well he plays against top midfielders in both the PL and CL.

Still waiting for Arshavin to hit form. He gets himself involved which is encouraging, but things have just not happened for him. Once Walcott is fully fit, will be interesting to see whether the Russian is dropped.

Clichy by all acounts had a good game today, but he has been unchallenged for the LB spot for a few seasons now and he needs to start making his case more forcefully. I'm not sure Gibbs is ready yet to usurp him, but I would not be against moving for an experienced LB to put the pressure on.

Overall the team has just about exceeded my expectations and believe we are moving forward. The next 2 months should give us a better indication of how far we've come. November has never been the most bounteous of months for us under wenger and come December, we will have United away and Chelsea at home.

CandysRoom

Established Member
I'm happy so far. Considering where we thought we were start of the season, it's worked out fairly well.

Others mentioned it above, but losing Gallas has been a huge boost to the team. I feel they are a much more together unit now. Our defence even seem to be communicating with one another!

On the whole, the team seems much hungrier and bar a couple of slip ups have performed well.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
Except for the West Brom game, this season has gone quite well for us so far.

A big reason why we've done well is because we have better back up for our spine. We have Squillaci playing when Vermaelen is missing and not Sylvestre. We have Chamakh playing for the missing RVP and not Arshavin.

There is usual improvement that comes with age in players like Nasri and Walcott who've made vital improvement. Wilshere is looking like a big plus. Goalkeepers have been an asset (if you leave aside the WBA match) for a change rather than a liability.

Still, it is a long way to go in the season. Right now, the picture looks rosy after a rich vein of form and some great results, but we'll see worse times for sure in the season ahead. The key to our success will be the extent to which injuries affect us. If we are relatively injury-free(by our standards) we could do very well this season.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Quite happy, but should have had more. We always start well so I am more worried about what will happen in the latter stages. Also, we still have to face Mancs and if we win that, I'd be over the moon.

Just hope our stupid 4 points dropped now from Sunderland and home to Brom won't cost us.

sagreig

We are the second best team in the league. As long as we keep Cesc fit we will stand a chance of going all the way.

Defense: The last 3 games have shown some defensive stability; if we can get consistently solid performances from Fabianski and Szczesny, we will stand a good chance of winning something. Koscielny is starting to show good form. If we can get Vermaelen back, we will get many more clean sheets.

Midfield: The biggest plus is Wilshere. I don't think many people saw him becoming a key player so soon. He is first-choice now and he will go back into the team. A Wilshere-Song-Fabregas midfield will be too good to stop for anyone. With our new dynamic set-up with everyone attacking and defending, it's hard to keep up with. The key is keeping those 3 fit.

Attack: I have given up on Van Persie so we've got what we've got. Arshavin is not performing well so it's a bloody good job Nasri and Walcott look phenomenal at the moment. Nasri had 7 in 7 before this game, Walcott had 6 in 6, and they were both just the width of the post/bar away from keeping that goal-a-game ratio up. Chamakh has settled well and while I don't think he will get many goals, I am a fan.

As long as we don't get too many injuries (and we keep Cesc fit) we will have not had a better chance of winning a trophy in recent years. Unfortunately we won't keep our key players fit and as soon as that injury hits Nasri or Cesc or Song, our supposedly great squad depth will not be able to replace them.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
much better then last season IMO

our new signnigs looks so good

fabianski the must Surprise i watched this season very class performance

walcott much better then last season the same reason with nasri

the only fail after 10 matches a lose vs WBA at home :(

Anzac

Established Member
Thought I'd already posted in here but don't know what happened to it.

Whilst the new signings have done well & other players have stepped up it's nothing I wouldn't expect from a team we've been developing for 5 seasons.

I'm still not convinced by our shape, tactics & lack of discipline that we are in reality any better than 3rd place, and doubt we are capable of beating the top CL clubs as a result.

We're better equiped, but it means little as yet.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Think we all hoped for big seasons from Theo and Nasri and it seems that could materialise. Thats the biggest positive for me and it means we have great offensive power.

We have thrown in some strange performances though- like sunderland first half, west brom and west ham today. Complete 360 turns on the good performances.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It's a bit early to draw any conclusions for me. Although we've kept 3 consecutive clean sheets, we've still shipped too many cheap goals this season. What's more, we're yet to face a truly tough test at home, and I think that's where we've struggled to cope with the pressure games quite often in the past.

Still, much to be positive about and hopefully, the return from injury of one or two key players will serve us well through the winter months.

Biggus

Established Member
The season like a game has many twists and turns and just as you don't celebrate after 20 minutes theres nothing to celebrate after 10 games.
As regards twists and turns who amongst us could have foreseen the immense improval in Fabianskis form? that for me is the best news so far, this issue more than anything has the potential to wreck our season.
Forget about talking about players that we miss, players will get injured and come back all the time- we have what we have.
Having said that I'm starting to get worried about TV, a lengthy lay off means a longer time to get back to his best, and I never consider RvP anything more than a bit part player anyway.
So all I can say for now is so far so good.

Top Bottom