• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

10 Games: Where do we stand?

est

We hit the frame of the goal twice and their goalkeeper had an outstanding game. These games happen every now and then, the important thing is to pick up the points.

progman07

Established Member
est said:
We hit the frame of the goal twice and their goalkeeper had an outstanding game. These games happen every now and then, the important thing is to pick up the points.
The main thing is that we won't always pick up the points. In fact, every season we pick up points from these games AND draw many others, because we have too many games like this.

Away games are another worry.

edit: By the way I don't think we have changed that much since last season. Even in 09/10 we were at times leading the table. Every season we have some encouraging wins, and good performances, which always lead to the line "we have improed since last season" but then November and March/April kill it for us.

November is our first test, then March is our second, two months where we have failed in the last few seasons.

progman07

Established Member
est said:
progman07 said:
The main thing is that we won't always pick up the points.
No team does.
Of course not. The key thing is, they have less of these games. They have, like Chelsea yesterday, but they have it less (usually, and I'm talking about the last few seasons in average).

squallkid

Established Member
redanddread said:
Raider said:
I expected us to be where we are. We've faced Chelsea, City and Liverpool in the first 10 games and we currently have 2 losses out of 10 ( which was pretty obvious lets be honest )

Which then left me guessing it'll either be 6 wins and 2 draws, or 7 wins with 1 draw.

6 Wins, 2 Draws, 2 Losses it is.

For the next 10, which include United, Chelsea Sp**s, and also away trips to Villa and Everton; I'm gonna put my neck on the line and say 4 wins, 3 losses and 3 draws.

The next 10 Premiership games will be huge, I pray we come out of them with 18+ points, as the 10 after should be easy.

I think if we realistically wish to challenge for the title, then 23+ pts out 30 is a must

Also, by now most realise that there are no easy games in the EPL. Some may look easy on paper but reality is very different-yesterday being a fine example.

Make that 27 pts at least. There is little margin for error this season, we have to be at our brilliant best in order to get anywhere near the title.No more aiming for 23 points out of a possible 30, that's not good enough we can't afford to drop 7 points when we are already 5 behind Chelsea We should aim for 10 wins out of 10 like in the old days, it's not impossible.

10 wins, beat United and Chelsea and we would be sitting pretty come January

progman07

Established Member
First 10 EPL games:

10/11 - 20pts
09/10 - 22pts
08/09 - 20pts
07/08 - isn't needed for my point, but 26pts
06/07 - 18pts

We aren't really better than we were in seasons like 08/09... we'll see if we have improved in Nov and March.

Lukazan

Established Member
To be honest I find it really hard to seperate the last two seasons from eachother in my mind. I'm getting older and my memory must be going. So trying to compare us so far this season to last season is a little difficult for me.

But there does seem something a little different about us this year. More hungry perhaps, like someone suggested. We've got good squad depth and if, unlikely as it is, RVP can return and stay fit for atleast the majority of the rest of the season, and other key plays stay injury free too (got a feeling Walcott is going to be massively important for us) then I think we have a great chance of winning something. Not sure about the league.. it's too early to make predictions about the CL but a cup is definitely there for the taking. I've got a feeling we're going to win the FA cup.

Feanor

Established Member
So far so good, the WBA and chelski results were very disappointing. We've done well but we've had the rub of the green so far: 9 penalties so far (I fell like chelski/manure), played many games against 10 men.

Positives: we've beaten what's been in front of us (for the most part). Walcott, Wilshere, Nasri and Faboonski lately. Song contributions in the goal department and all-around play. Cesc does not seem to be suffering any sort of "Barca hangover".

Negatives: injuries, our defense still looks suspect (maybe due to injuries), Arshavin (his stats may look great but his overall play has been bad), Chelski result (same old, same old) and WBA (same old, same old).

There are definite signs of improvements but not sure we're a trophy winning squad yet. The Mickey Mouse may be a good first step for the squad, just to get them used to the feeling of winning a trophy and what it means.

yuvken

Established Member
Feanor said:
Negatives: our defense still looks suspect (maybe due to injuries)
I'd agree if you said our defensive approach is still lacking, but, having replaced the heart of our D, and having played thus far without our top defender - we seemed to have coped quite well. A bit odd to put that with the negatives, imo. The "maybe due to injuries" you mentioned, could be seen as a positive, in other words.

Ron Burgundy

Established Member
Raider said:
For the next 10, which include United, Chelsea Sp**s, and also away trips to Villa and Everton; I'm gonna put my neck on the line and say 4 wins, 3 losses and 3 draws.
We won't win the league with a return like that. Good enough for top four, but not good enough for champions.

A

Anonymous

10 games in where do we stand? a Mixed bag tbh.

The talent is there to make some noise this season (and our opponents are not that super impressive, Chelsea included)..the every-present questions are also still there: injuries; mental toughness, and defense. There are signs however, that mental toughness and defense may be on the improve, but it's just too early.

I believe the festive period and January transfer window and how Wenger handles it will be make or break... If we enter January in contention, but depleted with injuries, will AW venture into the market and fix a position or two we are short in? or will he be unwavering in his belief that others will step up? The money is there, injuries will likely be there, what will he do?

Wenger's approach to domestic cups will have a long say in whether this season is defined as a success or not too.

Feanor

Established Member
yuvken said:
Feanor said:
Negatives: our defense still looks suspect (maybe due to injuries)
I'd agree if you said our defensive approach is still lacking, but, having replaced the heart of our D, and having played thus far without our top defender - we seemed to have coped quite well. A bit odd to put that with the negatives, imo. The "maybe due to injuries" you mentioned, could be seen as a positive, in other words.

Fair point, let me put this way, I still do not have great confidence in our defense when TV is not in there. Because of the injuries, I'm not sure what our best pairing in Defense is either. Kol has had some good games and some questionable games, squid to me has been more solid and I would really like to see him next to TV before passing judgment. I think we only have one or 2 clean sheets and shipping 3 against WBA was just not acceptable. So maybe not an outright negative but still a question mark.

Feanor

Established Member
Ron Burgundy said:
Raider said:
We won't win the league with a return like that. Good enough for top four, but not good enough for champions.

I agree, if that is what happens then we will not be champions.

Biggus

Established Member
progman07 said:
The West Ham game was very worrying. We couldn't break down a terrible team yet again, and the 3 points were dependant on a lucky goal from the craziest possible combination - Clichy's right-footed cross found Song in the box.

You could say that it was stuff of champions, I think it was stuff of a team who was lucky not to finish without scoring against the bottom team at home.

We won games like this in every single season, the issue is that we also drew many of these, and I think we will this season as well.
Err we won Prog, 3 points is 3 points.....

Rorz

Established Member
It reminded me a bit of Wolves at home last season. It was great that we got a last gasp 3 points that kept us clinging on in the title race, but everyone sort of knew the performance wasn't good enough and we'd slip up sooner rather than later. Hopefully the team goes out against Newcastle and puts the game to bed early.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
We should never, at any time, play any two of DDS together. There's just a severe lack of guile and creativity. I know Wilshere was out, but I'd have played a midfield of Rosicky, Song and Cesc.

AshburtonGhost

We’ll have a similar season to last one IMO. The roster has improved for sure but the same fundamental shortcomings remain and will probably undermine us over the distance.

otfgoon

Established Member
How exactly do the same fundamental shortcomings remian if the "roster" has improved?

Last time I checked we're not being forced to play Arshavin up front, Eboue is playing far less on the right wing, we've got Wilshere, we're not being forced to play Mr Potatohead alongside a 35yr old in defence, and even the keeping situation looks like it may be getting better.

And "roster"? Get out.

Y va marquer

Established Member
:lol: Mr. Potatohead - I had actually wiped Silvestre from my mind but now that you mention our options in defence this season, as opposed to last, there's a definite improvement in personnel.

However I still don't have full confidence in Fabianski and I don't trust completely that Almunia will be kept away from the Number 1 spot....

If Vermaelen were to return soon I'd be far more confident of our chances of continuing our recent good run.
I think he and Kos could develop an excellent partnership.

Top Bottom