• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

10 Games: Where do we stand?

AshburtonGhost

otfgoon said:
How exactly do the same fundamental shortcomings remian if the "roster" has improved?

Last time I checked we're not being forced to play Arshavin up front, Eboue is playing far less on the right wing, we've got Wilshere, we're not being forced to play Mr Potatohead alongside a 35yr old in defence, and even the keeping situation looks like it may be getting better.

And "roster"? Get out.

You get out, ****ing come at me with that ****.

Defending is still poor, remains to be seen whether we improve tactically in big games domestically and in Europe and I’m still yet to be convinced by our playing patterns and style over the long haul.

Oh and squad, if the word roster upsets you so much you baby.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
After the debacle that was WBA and then our "customary" loss to Chelsea (we need to beat these F....kers at the Emirates!), we have pulled it around ( a la last season). The important thing is to keep our winning streak alive. Nothing breeds confidence like winning and if we can put a 10 game win streak (no draws) together then we can build the necessary confidence to do some damage this season. I still don't think we look STRONG enough overall to take the title but I will glady eat a huge serving of humble pie if we did!!

We have a good team spirit and the team knows how to play together-we are just a little naive at times, still!

In that 10 game win streak we must put down a marker and beat one of MANU or Chelsea. This team needs a win against one of those two to really believe!

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Last year after 10 games we had 22 points
7 wins 2 losses (Manchester games) and a draw (West Ham - away).

Although after ten games we have less points than last year, we have some tough games out of our way (Chelsea, Liverpool, Mancity), the team looks more focused and there are less defensive howlers than last year.
Fabianski's recent displays give hope that things will only improve.

ManU also had 22 points with 2 losses (to Burnley and Liverpool), while Chelsea were on 24 points (two losses to Wigan and Villa away).

If we manage to get through some important November matches (Everton, Villa and Sp**s) with 7-9 points and then the period before Christmas - New Year (ManU, Chelsea and Mancity) with 7-9 points as well, then I will feel very confident of our chances for title.

Of course that is all if we get lucky to keep our most important players injury free

mistaT

Established Member
I'll reiterate what everyone has been saying, mainly because it matches my analysis, in that:

Wilshere and Fabianski have been a revelation, both have provided a much needed breath of fresh air that smells of quality (verdict still out for Fab)

Chamakh was a wonderful signing simply for the reliability that neither RVP or Bendtner can supply.

Nasri's game has really stepped up, covering for the drop of form in Cesc's.

Wenger addressed our D quite well.

Are we closer to winning the league? I'm not sure, I still think Chelsea are the resound favorites but we've got to keep believing and pushing ourselves.

I think for that reason the Carling, FA and Champions League should all be prioritized over the league this year.

Bossa

Established Member
The WBA match was the only game that was a slap in the face. I can live with all the other results. We had some difficult away fixtures and we still managed well imo.

redanddread

mistaT said:
I'll reiterate what everyone has been saying, mainly because it matches my analysis, in that:

Wilshere and Fabianski have been a revelation, both have provided a much needed breath of fresh air that smells of quality (verdict still out for Fab)

Chamakh was a wonderful signing simply for the reliability that neither RVP or Bendtner can supply.

Nasri's game has really stepped up, covering for the drop of form in Cesc's.

Wenger addressed our D quite well.

Are we closer to winning the league? I'm not sure, I still think Chelsea are the resound favorites but we've got to keep believing and pushing ourselves.

I think for that reason the Carling, FA and Champions League should all be prioritized over the league this year.[/quote]

Until we are mathematically out of the race, this will always be the BIG one for Wenger. Yes, we have never won a CL but he has always said that winning the league is the true reflection of how good your team is. The EPL comes at the top of the wish list.

yuvken

Established Member
Two things have much illusions about them:
that anything is as important as the PL and CL (mainly referring to the boss, but not only)
and that some prioritizing is not a question of circumstances (or probability; that means a clear hierarchy among competitions, regardless of our actual success. I don't know how much AW himself has some of the latter - different conclusions may follow from his declarations and from assuming he is a reasonable man*).

This clearly is the case in crucial times (finals, end of season, injuries), but one can even sense this as early as now. Tomorrow's game is important, but if it was a final cesc would (probably ) play.
What is reasonable to conclude, as with other areas in life, is that we have a set of values (which is quite constant) and we deliberate according to our actual ability to achieve them.

* that remark after sometimes he pretended he could always put equal measure - 100% of his assets - to separate tasks. That of course suffers from the logical difficulty that allocating 100% to one just means he would not have 100% available to allocate for the other. So inevitably you juggle, setting the reasonable allocation as the "new 100%". But that was the initial claim anyway. ok, time for some of these - :lol:

KY

Established Member
Here's a fact. Only Kevin Davies and Andy Carroll have conceded more fouls than Alex Song. Is that the hallmark of a good tackler or holding midfielder?

Humble Rex

Established Member
KY said:
Here's a fact. Only Kevin Davies and Andy Carroll have conceded more fouls than Alex Song. Is that the hallmark of a good tackler or holding midfielder?

Perhaps better suited post in the stats thread.

redanddread

yuvken said:
Two things have much illusions about them:
that anything is as important as the PL and CL (mainly referring to the boss, but not only)
and that some prioritizing is not a question of circumstances (or probability; that means a clear hierarchy among competitions, regardless of our actual success. I don't know how much AW himself has some of the latter - different conclusions may follow from his declarations and from assuming he is a reasonable man*).

This clearly is the case in crucial times (finals, end of season, injuries), but one can even sense this as early as now. Tomorrow's game is important, but if it was a final cesc would (probably ) play.
What is reasonable to conclude, as with other areas in life, is that we have a set of values (which is quite constant) and we deliberate according to our actual ability to achieve them.

* that remark after sometimes he pretended he could always put equal measure - 100% of his assets - to separate tasks. That of course suffers from the logical difficulty that allocating 100% to one just means he would not have 100% available to allocate for the other. So inevitably you juggle, setting the reasonable allocation as the "new 100%". But that was the initial claim anyway. ok, time for some of these - :lol:

??

DanielVale

DanDare said:
TBH I don't really see winning at City as a plus over last season because we beat Liverpool last season away which is basically who City have replaced.

It's a plus in my books, a huge win and 3 points from a team Chelsea haven't been able to beat!

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
DanielVale said:
DanDare said:
TBH I don't really see winning at City as a plus over last season because we beat Liverpool last season away which is basically who City have replaced.

It's a plus in my books, a huge win and 3 points from a team Chelsea haven't been able to beat!

It's a plus for this season but it isn't something we can use to say we are now doing better than last season.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Anzac said:
Back down to earth with a thud after today........reality bites - hard.
Not sure we were floating all that high to be begin with, but let's at least wait for a match that matters, i.e. Newcastle.

OohtobeaGoonerGal

Established Member
One loss and now the pessimism kicks in :roll:
Shakhtar have this 48 game or so unbeaten record so we knew it wasn't going to be straightforward - yes the players we had out there should have been enough but we know we can play better than that and our record isn't good out there anyway - there can be times in the CL where you have to endure an ugly performance in an uncomfortable away game - happens to the best of them.

Mastadon

Established Member
Where we stand after 10 games is where we have stood for the last 5 years : 2 or 3 big money signings away from being title favourites.

redanddread

Quicker than Walcott said:
Watch us crumble.

Don't think so but the loss sure hurts. We are still a work in progress. Was really looking for that "performance" last night that showed that we have the squad and know how to win in tough places!

Still several positives this season

Nasri/Wilshere/Fabianksi/Chamahk/Koscielny

and still several neagtives

can't cross the ball/defence still looks dodgy/making silly game costing mistakes/can't win with Cesc!

redanddread

OohtobeaGoonerGal said:
One loss and now the pessimism kicks in :roll:
Shakhtar have this 48 game or so unbeaten record so we knew it wasn't going to be straightforward - yes the players we had out there should have been enough but we know we can play better than that and our record isn't good out there anyway - there can be times in the CL where you have to endure an ugly performance in an uncomfortable away game - happens to the best of them.

But still get a result!

Latest posts

Top Bottom