• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

#10 Jersey

sanyasi

I was wondering, who would get the #10 jersey once bergkamp retires (at the end of next season maybe, or this season, whenever)

We already have Kanu, Ali, Titi, and Reyes as forwards so i dont think we will be buying a new forward.

Reyes at 9 seems to be fixed, you dont change away from a 9 jersey.
Titi wouldnt change, 14 has become titi and titi means 14
Kanu you never know at #25, he may want a better number.
Im assuming wiltord is leaving, if he doesnt #11 seems good enough.

Aliadiere is currently at #30+ (i forgot), so maybe he will get the #10 jersey.

Assuming no new striekr buys, do you think aliadiere deserves the 10 jersey, and can live up to the expectation of being the #10.

or do you think a younger gooner like bentley or cesc deserves the jersey? or are they too young to cope with the pressure of being a #10, as #10 has grown to signify the best/one of the best strikers/attacking midfielders in the team?

IMO i would give it to Ali.

Arsene

I'd say either Bentley or Aliadere will be getting that jersey in the near future. We'll have to wait and see which one of the youngsters shines in the end of season games.

sanyasi

bentley?
isnt he a bit too young to be entrusted with that jersey? a no 10 is expected to be a starting liner... or should we do a real madrid and give ti to our best new midfielder if we sign one?

also he can take 11 when wiltord goes.
or

mood

Probably a new-comer might get it. Our stadium has been announced, we've got the £ !! so we might be buying someone sometime soon. Or we'll probably leave the #10 un-occupied until someone is ready for it. The same with Dixon's #2 and Adams' #6. Keown's #5 will be available soon and I want Kolo Toure to get the #5.

leongsh

When Dennis Bergkamp retires, the #10 jersey can continue to be vacant until someone who has the class and technical skill will be deemed worthy of that jersey number - one in which Dennis Bergkamp has truly made his own. This would be the same with the #6 jersey - the Tony Adams jersey - and the #2 jersey - the Lee Dixon jersey.

The weight of expectations contained in each those jerseys is going to be real heavy on whoever wears any of them. We have lots of numbers still available.

I think the #10 jersey of Dennis Bergkamp, after he retires, is just waiting for David Bentley to claim it when, and not a moment before, he lives up to the current expectation of being the next Dennis Bergkamp for Arsenal.

Jeremie Aliadiere is probably going to get the #11 jersey when Sylvian Wiltord decides to leave Arsenal. He is a shoo-in for that jersey number and would also have a strong claim on the #10 jersey too.

I foresee Kolo Toure and Phillipe Senderos (if he lives up to the phenomenal promise expected of him) getting the #5 and #6 jersey numbers respectively. Will they be the future central defense partnership equivalent to that of Adams/Bould in their prime but with superb athletic ability?

Who is going to claim Pat Rice/Lee Dixon's jersey number? Will Justin Hoyte be able to lay claim to it in the future and be as much a stalwart as Pat Rice and Lee Dixon has been to the Arsenal team?

Mark

Established Member
Aliadiere isn't really a no.10 player imo. I have a feeling it might look something like this (this is asuming we don't buy any other strikers)

Reyes 11
Bentley 10
Aliadiere 9

I definetly think 10 is Bentley's number for the taking, while I'm not too sure about Reyes and Ali, it could be as I put it up there or it could be the other way round. Just imo the number 9 is more suited for the poacher kind of player and the 11 is more suited for a winger/forward. It's not really important, but I'm sure Bentley will get the no.10 shirt.

Mark

Established Member
Franny is out of here for sure. Reyes has already taken his number, now hopefully someone will make a decent bid for him and we can forget the whole thing.

Sol man

Shouldn't Kolo be given the no 6 jersey?? I know its TA's and most people would like it to be retired but the number could not go to a better player.

kNiteMare

I dont think traditionally #10 is for a striker, which is what ali is, so i think he will better fitted to #11 (what wiltord have now and he seems quite certain to leave at the end of season now)

leave the #10 open until someone with class is ready to take it. I personally think Bergkamp will stay another year so this issue wont be up until then. I agree with many that #10 is bentley for the taking if he manages to blossom into a great player, but until then it is better to leave it open so there is actually some goal for bentley to work towards (kinda).

satan_beckham

well bergkamp will surely last for another season b4 he retire so i reckon that jeffers if he returns will get 16,gio's number as surely no one will wanna buy jeffers and surely barce will buy gio. think ali and bentley will get the 10 and 11 shirt with ali having 11 since wiltord is going this season and after next season,bentley having the 10.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

You can't give Bergy's jersey to anyone.

First, he'll be here another year (probably)

Second, no one currently at Arsenal can fill his boots. He's an all time great. If someone comes through or is bought next season then maybe, but personally I see it remaining vacant for the forseeable future.

kNiteMare

yep, that's why i say #10 is up for bentley for the taking, if he is good enough. Something for him to work towards too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom