• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

13/14 Season Player Evaluations

fabo

6.51 / 10
Yeah, Fabianski is a disaster waiting to happen. Not fussed about him leaving, tbh I would have turfed him out after the Drogba clanger in 09.

But I also think Szczesny dipped significantly in the second half of the season, sometimes getting let off the hook because a goal didn't result from his errors e.g Chadli's miss at WHL.

Think Impact's ratings are fairly close, maybe slightly lower for Giroud.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Fabianski's been fantastic any time he's played tbf. Bar the Aluko mistake and Agger header he's been flawless, he made a few outstanding stops against Liverpool when we were under big pressure. One in particular stood out when Sturridge tried to go around him.

Chez has come on a lot but still has a clanger in him as fabo said. He gifted West Ham a goal earlier in the season, got lucky with the kickout against Newcastle, almost gifted Sturridge a goal at the Emirates etc. Let's not pretend he hasn't made mistakes.

Per and Kos need to be at least 8s for me, that pairing and Ramsey were the reason we lead the league for so long. So many of the marginal 1-0 and 2-1 wins were down to them defending for their lives when we were under pressure late on.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Fabianski is as good as Chez if not better. Better for me.

My rating was also based on him executing his squad role, which he did with excellence, got us to the Cup final. Rated Chez based on him being a starter and Fabianski on his back up duties. If I was rating the way some of you seem to want, then I would also have Chez higher than Fabianski. Hope that makes sense.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
What's with all the nicely rounded numbers??

Goalkeepers
Szczesny - 7.59
Fabianski - 7.1

Defenders
Sagna - 7.38
Mertesacker - 7.5 - I won't rate him as high as others because he's made some pretty huge mistakes in our big matches.
Vermaelen - 5 - Just not a great defender, sadly, although I respect his professionalism.
Koscielny - 8.6 - Our best defender, and the best defender in the league.
Monreal - 5.3
Gibbs - 6.3

Midfielders
Rosicky - 7.01 - Was great in the start and mid parts of the season. Huge performances against Liverpool and Sp**s at home.
Arteta - 6.3 - Wenger's most important signing post-Koscielny and pre-Özil, but sadly has shown clear signals of decline.
Wilshere - 6.6
Özil - 7.03 - Great first ~three months at the club, but leveled off after that, though still put in a few good performances in 2014. Will show his level consistently next season, but needs to improve his body language.
Ramsey - 8.88 - The best.
Cazorla - 6.84 - Like Özil, suffered with our mess of a front line, but has lost possession far too often for a player of his quality.
Flamini - 6

Forwards
Podolski - 6.66
Giroud - 6.74 - Admirable attitude and has had some lovely assists, but his scoring record isn't adequate. 16 goals in 36 league games shouldn't be good enough for a club like Arsenal.
Chamberlain - 6.4 - Needs to push on next season like Ramsey did in 2013. If he had the desire and mental toughness of a Ramsey or Theo, he'd be one of the best wingers in the league, but he's still a way behind those two.

Caz19

Impact said:
jinjin5000 said:
Impact said:
For my mind, GDeep is closest to the truth. I think our FA Cup victory has skewed some people's perceptions of our season. We were solid, if unspectacular all year round - with a few shocking performances in the big games. Only a few players should warrant 7s and over (Szczesny, Fabianski, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Ramsey, Giroud).

bit negative ain't it :mrgreen:

Just honest. :lol:

With some of the ratings in here, you would think we had won the League or Champions League or had a sustained title run in (as in being serious contenders going into the home straight - last 5 games).

Ramsey at 10? He had a fantastic season but 10? Despite whose fault it was, he wasn't even available for half the season. Further, he still has a lot to learn about playing central midfield - left his partner exposed at times with his lack of positional discipline. 10 means no real room for improvement. He's a 9 maximum for me.

I also am uncomfortable giving Mertesacker and Koscielny such high ratings considering they took part in our embarrassing defeats to our closest rivals this year.

I think though it's unfair to judge them based on that. With the way we defend as a team, we often leave 2-3 people at the back alone with no defensive support from the midfield, and with our full backs high up the pitch.

And Kosicleny+Mertesacker handle it fantastically well when we're against the smaller teams, but I think anybody who knows a thing about football know that it's extremely difficult for 2 guys to stop 4 attackers always, and it's near impossible when those 4 are Sturridge,Suarez,Sterling and Coutinho - or if those 4 are Eto'o,Schurlle,Willian and Oscar.

It's the exact same argument that fans of other club's always use when we try to praise Koscielny and Mertesacker, but I think it's unfair to judge anyone by not being able to do the impossible.

Impact

Established Member
Caz19 said:
Impact said:
I also am uncomfortable giving Mertesacker and Koscielny such high ratings considering they took part in our embarrassing defeats to our closest rivals this year.

I think though it's unfair to judge them based on that. With the way we defend as a team, we often leave 2-3 people at the back alone with no defensive support from the midfield, and with our full backs high up the pitch.

And Kosicleny+Mertesacker handle it fantastically well when we're against the smaller teams, but I think anybody who knows a thing about football know that it's extremely difficult for 2 guys to stop 4 attackers always, and it's near impossible when those 4 are Sturridge,Suarez,Sterling and Coutinho - or if those 4 are Eto'o,Schurlle,Willian and Oscar.

It's the exact same argument that fans of other club's always use when we try to praise Koscielny and Mertesacker, but I think it's unfair to judge anyone by not being able to do the impossible.

Losing 5-1, 6-0, 6-3 & 3-0 all in one season away to your nearest rivals is unacceptable whatever way you frame it. There may be other factors to consider, but fundamentally, the defence were not up to it. All those matches were pivotal in our season too.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Just rate as you see it. There's no need for debate for personal opinion ratings (unless it's very weird)

Top Bottom