• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

15 million to spend

A

Anonymous

the link isnt working, think you put the 15 in the link by mistake. read it earlier though, sounds reasonable. could get owen for 12 mill and apparently i just read we got van persie for 2.5. maybe then we can get another centre back for cheap or free even. that would significantly improve our squad. i would like to see owen, but first i think our defence needs more depth and we need another attacking mid which is what van persie can play.
if we get van persie and owen, what would happen to reyes ? pires wont be gone for another 3 years at least (hopefully) so it seems strange that we would buy another high rated striker to go with a young one we just splashed out for !! persie on the right, henry owen upfront would mean reyes wouldnt play. i would preferably have reyes on the right with owen and henry and persie a future start just being back up !! but we still definately need a centre back with keown leaving and senderos not ready. maybe another kolo type player to be 3rd choice ahead of cygan who is not good enough to be first choice sub !! give senderos games in the last few matches as well as hoyte and see how they do, that will determine how desperately we need a new defender i think !

seanconvey66

yea perhaps. 5m for gvb anything we can get for jeffers, mayber 2m for pennant, but i dont really want him to go.

JGooner

This is just guesswork from the Standard. Even if we have £15m to spend (do chairmen really specify the precise transfer budget to their managers? I doubt it. They probably just ask for a list of targets and see whether it can be accomodated within the club's financial situation), I can't see us spending that much. £3-4m for RvP. Maybe a similar amount on a defender or keeper. But not much more.

Mark

Established Member
£15million is very decent. With that money plus whatever we get for GvB, Jeffers and probably Pennant. I'd like to see us get:

A goalkeeper - Frey/Van Der Saar
A young RB or CB - Trabelsi/Mexes
A RM of some kind - Giuly/Malbranque
A striker or two, depending on Bergy, Wiltord and Kanu - Drogba/Morientes

gooner_red, if we had Henry, Reyes and Owen as our strikers we would be able to rest and rotate and still have a very strong partnership upfront. That's the sort of squad you need to win the treble, that's what we lacked this year. We only had 2 strong partnerships upfront. Henry starting with Bergkamp or Reyes. Bergkamp - not able to play too many games due to his age. Reyes - still settling in at the club so struggling a bit at times. We need to be able to rest players like Henry and Vieira and still have a strong team out there. It seems whenever we have injuries it's a crisis because we don't have the quality to play in the position of the injured player. It shouldn't be like that. If we did have Henry, Reyes and Owen as our strikers. We could have an Henry Reyes parntership, an Henry Owen partnership and a Reyes Owen partnership. All 3 of those would strike fear into any opponents we face in the PL or in Europe.

patrick42uk

Established Member
firstly, we are not getting owen. that is the most improbable transfer rumour i'v heard so far. secondly, i remember wenger saying he only had 6 million or so available. now the evening standard are coming up with 15 million. the truth is, we will probably never know what it is, the way Arsène likes to keep it. we will have to sit back and be surprised this summer though i'm not expecting more than three signings of which one is a striker (van persie).

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
firstly, we are not getting owen. that is the most improbable transfer rumour i'v heard so far. secondly, i remember wenger saying he only had 6 million or so available. now the evening standard are coming up with 15 million. the truth is, we will probably never know what it is, the way Arsène likes to keep it. we will have to sit back and be surprised this summer though i'm not expecting more than three signings of which one is a striker (van persie).

Well said that man. The hows and wheres and whys of such a deal would be madness. How would Owen complement Thierry? He wouldn't so let's forget about it.

A

Anonymous

We need another right winger/attacker.

Pennant and Wiltord are possibly outs in the summer, leaving only Freddie, who imo is could do with replacing.

reggiepaul

I think we have more than 15 million available. All these are just speculative statements from the media because we don't release any numbers, just round figures as press statements to keep them happy.

Mark

Established Member
I think Giuly would be good on our right hand side. We could then rotate Freddie and Pires on the left. I honestly believe Freddie is capable of doing as good a job as Pires on LM he just never gets to play there. When he has played there he's looked a different player. He would also be able to fill in on the right when Giuly is rested or upfront at times as well.

reggiepaul

I do reckon someone huge is coming in though. It's just part of the plan and I think it'll be cover on the right.

I also reckon GVB may be back for another at Arsenal too but Jeffers is out. Wiltord will hang around I think and so will Bergs, but Kanu will leave in a sudden exit. I can see Jeffers leaving to a mid table club (so another striker arriving will be imminent) and probably another keeper coming in or Lehmann doing a press release stating he is goign to work on his anger in the future and Wenger is a great manager who listens and he'll do it for the team because we have a great team spirit.

Other than that, I aint mystic meg but those are my Summer predictions.

Chips&CurrySauce

Personally as an option on the right I would like to see Malbranque. He has outstanding ability, he is the creator of nearly all of Fulham's goals and he can score atleast 10 a season. I definately feel he has more talent than Freddie. He is also only 24 years old.

Mark

Established Member
Yeah if we're after a RM, I'd like to see Malbranque or Giuly come here. Malbranque can also fill in in the centre if necessary I think.

SuperBob

I think getting more french players would really get everyone calling us a french team! I reckon we need some english blood! Owen Hargraves what a dream! ;D Maybe try Stack or Taylor in goal as well.

Top Bottom