• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

150 corners.....

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 44
  • Views 1,896

Taozhe

Wenger has his reasons to not change things within the team. Mistakes will be made but he has made less than most of the top managers in the world.

chris66

I'm not one of those who goes in for a lot of criticism of Wenger, but to exclude such a significant part of the attacking threat from our game seems to be careless to say the least. Surely Campbell should be able to get his head on tot he occasional corner - he always seems to do so for England in World Cups - even if they do get ruled out!!!

karan kansal

Appaling stats. I agree with you that if in the first 10 minutes we don't get our passing right we are so doomed. Becasue inevitably Henry's head drops and then that's about it for the rest of the game.
I think John Terry this season alone has surpassed our goals from set piece total for the past 5 years. To think campbell and vieira would put some in once in a while. Wenger is uberblind on this point. How long does it take for a manager to address a problem as simple as this? I mean i have read reports that wenger sits and analyses every Arsenal game and other teams's game. Is it really so hard to see?

Sammer

Established Member
You could argue, that "never trust a statistic, that you haven´t forged yourself"....but this one speaks for itself.

A pathetic ratio that is....

awooga83

Established Member
That is quite unbelievable you would think that just by chance one would hit someone and go in. I suppose it reflects the quality of our deliveries we don't have a really good corner taker at the moment.

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
Appaling stats. I agree with you that if in the first 10 minutes we don't get our passing right we are so doomed. Becasue inevitably Henry's head drops and then that's about it for the rest of the game.

One of the most accurate comments I've read.

It's an area that's such a glaring weakness, it beggars belief. We are the best team in the world in pure footballing terms, but teams - United, Bolton, Pompey, Pool - are becoming more and more wary to our style. Sticking 5 men in midfield and kicking us shuts down our game quick-smart. Unfortunately, set pieces don't seem to be part of Wenger's vision of the game, which is based on pace, flair, and technique.

You can either respect him for being so bloody-minded in his vision of the game, or view him as stubborn for not seeing to an area which is so detrimental to the team. Personally, I expect Wenger to make changes next season, and work hard on the weaknesses the team showed this season.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
Our corners and free kicks are a disgrace. Pathetic.

Getting a corner 10 years ago was like a goal. Merse whips it in, Bouldy flicks it on and Tone piles in at the back to bury it.

Now, getting the ball off the ground seems like an impossibility for a professional footballer payed 50 grand a week.

The Bolton game was typical of it. We got a free kick in a perfect position to drop it in the box and challenge for a possible header at goal. But it was obvious that the players had no idea what to do. They stood around looking at each other. Pires stood over it, and then Henry trots out to stand next to him. WHY? Pires then limply sends the ball into the area to be cleared by Bolton, whilst Henry, our top scorer was totally wasted.

Another strange thing about that game, wathcing the players warming up Reyes was whipping great balls into Alumnia to catch. When he came on and took a corner he could get it past the first man.

br02afc

Can't believe that we are so poor at corner. We used to get the piss taken out of us because that's about all we could do. Swing one into the front, a big Stevie Bould flick on and someone would get on the end of it.

Now it is dreadfull. Yes some corner are poor but some are good, they go into the box and nobody knows whats going on. There is no set movement pattern or tactic to score. At the end of the day it is called a set-piece for a reason, not just lump it and see what happens.

Wenger really does not seem to worry about crossing and scoring, even in free-play this is not part of our game.

Asterix

Established Member
Bring in Andy Linighan as coach - scores from corner in extra time injury time to win FA Cup with a broken nose!! Genius.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
It is an endlessly frustrating conundrum, and the inability to profit from corners or crossing positions does cost us 10-15 goals a season. Henry should not take them....while he isn't a great header of the ball, he has a good leap, and could cause havoc....he's also scored a couple of beauties from the edge of the box a l a sherringham but better. the 2 problems are poor corner takers and a lack of people who attack the ball in the air. The latter is showing up increasingly in defensive situations. To profit from corners you need at least 2 or 3 threats in the air, and currently at best we have sol, vieira and gilberto......Edu's not bad, but is more akin to picking up scrappy bits and pieces. And even looking at our arial threats *and even back to keown* - none have scored mny goals for anyone from set pieces - Campbell had 1 good year for Sp**s, and should be good for 2 or 3......Gilberto gets a couple a year, and Vieira's heading technique is poor despite his arial presence. Keown never bloody scored for anyone either, except for a random game for england many years ago and the shakhtar where he got 2 in each. Even the grimster was more of a threat. Senderos could be a boost, and if we sign dellas, he'll be a threat too. THe other problem is the paucity of our corner takers. Pires generally takes awful corners and occasionally v good ones, Henry is all whip and pace but no accuracy or consistancy, but the one who really gets me is Dennis. He is one of the best takers of a free kick from paralell with the penalty area, and the accuracy of his long passes is legendary, but I don't believe I've ever seen him take a half decent corner for anyone...bizzare. Van Persie's inital efforts look very promising, and pennant and bentley aren't at all bad either. Maybe its worth letting cesc have a go. Personally i think we should have paddy with near post flick ons, as he is rarely outjumped, and has a good enough first touch to make use of the ball if Pires scuffs another to the edge of the six yard box. That would also increase the likelehood of someone smaller but technically superior winning a second header in the box. I would also always have Freddy in or around the 6 yard box for his reaction speed and finishing. --------Having said all that, not many teams score that many form corners these days - apart from Chelsea, Bolton and everton, who else consistantly useds set pieces. I remember 2 years ago no one scoring from a beckham corner all season, and he's a great corner taker. You need a combination of good corner takers, a variety of threats and 1 or 2 key men who are exponents of scoring form corners (ie Terry, Adams, Jaidi), and we have pretty much none of the above....it needs to be rectified, but i'm a bit lost as to how.

Canuck

Established Member
Personally i think we should have paddy with near post flick ons, as he is rarely outjumped, and has a good enough first touch to make use of the ball if Pires scuffs another to the edge of the six yard box. That would also increase the likelehood of someone smaller but technically superior winning a second header in the box. I would also always have Freddy in or around the 6 yard box for his reaction speed and finishing.
Very good idea.
Good post all together.

KoLo28

That's shocking, Aussie was right about no aticipation, but I always **** myself when we conceed a corner.

I think i might go have a bet on us to score from a corner vs. newcastle :lol: :lol: it's going to happen

A

Anonymous

i think i should change this post to 159 corners and no goals after todays game.

I think there been some great points made and not one disagreeing with my post i know you cant really argue a fact although some on here do try accasionally however what gets me is we all agree yet the man who counts, Arsène Wenger obviously dosent.

kanuuu

Established Member
We actually looked like we could score a few times today from corners, but every time we didn;t get proper contact with the ball.

seb_afc

Established Member
although we went unbeaten last season we still didnt score from a corner all season.. imagine how good we would be if we scored them

what is with the massively loopy corners that reyes is doing...especially when they are aimed at our shorter guys...you would think they would learn it doesnt work.
The only positive is that maybe we have become rubbish at attacking corners, because our defence have just completely outclassed the attack in training :roll:
i wish.

arnoldi

I think the goal Fabregas scored against Blackburn,the flicked header was from Gilberto and I think it was a Corner. i may be wrong though

Top Bottom