• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

17% Bigger! How much will Wenger change our style

GunneDown

As the title really. just heard that our new pitch is going to be 17% bigger. i think thats going to change our style a lot... what you think?

TH is going to be amazing with all that space! lets hope he re-signs.

MOTD

IBL

Established Member
We have Henry, Reyes, Hleb and Eboue who can make good use of their pace on the wings. Also we'll probably see a few more cross-pitch passes from Fabregas, Gilberto etc, spread the play a bit when we need to.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
GunneDown said:
As the title really. just heard that our new pitch is going to be 17% bigger. i think thats going to change our style a lot... what you think?

TH is going to be amazing with all that space! lets hope he re-signs.

MOTD
No I don't think it will change anything to our style, we play a passing game and the bigger the pitch, the better for playing a passing game (Nou Camp's width is an advantage to the attacking team, more space, harder to defend). In that sense Highbury has been an advantage to use. What would be more difficult is to pressure the opponent (when they have the ball) /defend higher up the pitch.

IBL

Established Member
True, also we wont be able to box opponents in as much as Higbury. Highbury suits our style of quick one-touch passing and technical game very well, its like a big version of a 5-aside pitch.

jeromelee

Yeah, and the fans won't be able to shout curses into the opponents ears and scare them with our fist shaking lol :lol:

shaz

it will be harder for us especially if we dont get a better defensive record.

memyself

17% bigger = 17% better. Just gives more free reign to our speed machines. I don't think that opposing teams will be able to clump up the midfield or defence, as is the typical formula to try and beat us. Just gives us more room to spread our wings, to stretch the opposing team, and sweep into counter attacks. Of course, that could be all gumph and I'm talking outta my wig wam. But if it does affect our style somehow, we will adjust and adapt. We'll have too, it's our stadium.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

W'ell play better , teams find it easier to defend against us because our pitch . If you see our away record in years past it is brillian partly because every other pitch in the premiership is bigger than ours.

legandary

This will totally benefit us. The bigger the field the better it is for a team with pace and skill. Smaller fields allow teams to crowd us out. On a big field there is no hiding. Our game is based on speed and quick passing, so when you have players like Henry, Reyes, Cole, Hleb and Quincy with 17% more space you will find an Arsenal team that will prove to be even more formidable at home.

And as stated earlier our more cultured passers of the ball such as Cesc and Reyes will be even more effective due to the bigger target area for their passers and there utlimately bigger margins for error. Can't wait till we go to this new stadium! Just hope Henry feels the same way!

jay-d

Established Member
Wenger obvioulsy had the pitch made this size for a reason, because he feels it will benefit Arsenals football, so I wouldn't worry.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Wenger has actually had a pitch designed at the training ground that exactly matches the dimensions of the new pitch at Ashburton Grove, they have also matched as best they could the angles that the light will hit the pitch and wind gauges. Just to get the players as used to the new experience as possible

This is of course a complete load of bollox and i'm just writing it because i'm bored at work!

anomaly

People say Highbury is the smallest pitch...but actually Everton's ground is. The camera angle on ours makes it look smaller than it seems. Will be sad to see Highbury go tho... :(

gun4glory

Yeah everytime i watch us at highbury it really does look really small...

But dont you think there should be a regulation pitch-size by fifa?

ccc

a bigger field would be harder for defending, especially harder for our poor defending :( I simply wish we wouln't get new stadium syndrom (as some other club showed in their first year in new stadium, poor performance and poor record)

kel varnsen

Established Member
it won't change our style, but it'll change visiting team's tactics. it'll be harder to sit back and 'box' us in...

nazo

Established Member
gun4glory said:
Yeah everytime i watch us at highbury it really does look really small...

But dont you think there should be a regulation pitch-size by fifa?

Abdirizak

There are regulations and ours is within them. There are boundries which the pitch size must be between and ours definately is within the boundries, definately at closer to the smaller boundary though.

hujja

Established Member
FIFA specifies that a stadium's pitch should be within a range of measurements set by them.
They should have a specific size instead of a range of sizes. Wonder why they haven't done that yet. Surely any stadium's dimensions could allow for this.

Double_H

Established Member
i think it will Improve our Away games In Europe

imagin our style of play in a bigger pitch (that we train at all the time ) as someone mentioned 17% bigger =17% better

Latest posts+

Top Bottom