• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

1979 Cup Final

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I have it on DVD, so yous can come round and watch it if you want!

Honestly Brady is so far ahead of every other player on the pitch it's scary, he played like a player way ahead of his time tbh, would fit into a Pep side ffs.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Think they showed it on ITV during the first lockdown as well. Amazing game. Moore and Clough on commentary excellent as well.

Long before my time but annoys me the more modern day fans don't give Brady enough credit when talking about legendary Arsenal players. I've only seen videos of him but would easily get into any of the Arsenal title sides under Wenger.

Stapleton looked a brilliant striker as well, upset a lot of fans when he left for United similar to the RVP from what I've read.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
This is one of our best finals ever.

Imagine United coming back from 2 down in the last minute, only to still lose...would have loved to have been a fan for this :drool:

Brady could be the only Arsenal legend, to not won the league with us...looked an elite player.

Alexs

I was there, hence my pic. I came as close to a heart attack as a 19 yr old can and it cemented my addiction to Golden Virginia.

Alexs

Liam Brady is my third favorite player. He was a beacon of light in the darkness. I was absolutely gutted but looking back, I don’t begrudge his move to Italy. He was way too good for us at the time.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Arsenal's Alan Sunderland on scoring the winner in 1979 FA Cup final

8904084-6625029-image-a-13_1548275626257.jpg

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Liam Brady is my third favorite player. He was a beacon of light in the darkness. I was absolutely gutted but looking back, I don’t begrudge his move to Italy. He was way too good for us at the time.
Thanks for starting this thread. As a relative late comer to the Arsenal fan group I didn't know of Liam Brady. Watched a highlight video on YouTube of the 1979 final focosing on Brady. Liked the commentator: "Sweet skills from Brady"! For a 1979 era player he was very good. The assist to and work for the 2-0 goal was excellent!

Last edited:

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I remember when Stapleton signed for Man United. My uncle is six years older than me, and he was like a big brother for me when I was a boy. His room at my grandparents were filled with Arsenal posters.

He tore down Stapleton from the wall, and we solemnly proceeded to the garden where the offending poster, much to my grandmother's bemusement, was set alight.

Alexs

A dreadful day. We had such a good young Irish spine: O'Leary, Brady, Stapleton. David stayed, a reason why he's a legend for me.

Seems like a good place to post my first ever game:

I was hooked from day 1

Andrew Cole Linighan

Player:Saka
I remember when Stapleton signed for Man United. My uncle is six years older than me, and he was like a big brother for me when I was a boy. His room at my grandparents were filled with Arsenal posters.

He tore down Stapleton from the wall, and we solemnly proceeded to the garden where the offending poster, much to my grandmother's bemusement, was set alight.
I have a DVD of the 1971 and 1979 FA Cup Finals. Think I got it as a gift for suscribing to the Arsenal magazine.
Sorry just going off topic, used to find it amazing that a player would go from Man Utd to Arsenal, or the other way.
Liked Danny Welbeck when he played for England. Thought he was a good player, could not believe it when we signed him.
Also signed Mickel Silvestre thought he was a good versatile defender.
Was gutted when Van Persie left.
A player I wished we could have signed from Man Utd at the time was Andrei Kanclelskis. A goal scoring right winger, have him and Limpar on the wings feeding Ian Wright up front. (Those two wingers played together at Everton).

Alexs

Funny how we sold Utd the players we really wanted to keep and they sold us the ones they no longer wanted.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
This is one of our best finals ever.

Imagine United coming back from 2 down in the last minute, only to still lose...would have loved to have been a fan for this :drool:

Brady could be the only Arsenal legend, to not won the league with us...looked an elite player.

Brady was a brilliant player. Vision, touch, technique, he was probably my 1st Arsenal hero because he stood out.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I was a kid listening on the radio to the 1979 final, I was doing a gardening job with my best mate, a Utd fan. I rarely listen to games on the radio but had no choice on that day. What a rollercoaster, what a game!

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
ITV aired the 1979 cup final against Man Utd and it’s on ITV player if you missed it.

The 1971 final is my earliest Arsenal memory. Back in the day when we still had a black & white TV, so we used to ask people in our road who had a colour TV if we could watch the final in their house :D This final I watched with a mate in an old couples living room, I had a big Arsenal rosette and they kept us fed with fizzy drinks and crisps. It was funny because the rest of the year we annoyed the hell out of them by knocking on their door to ask for our ball back because one of us had kicked it over the fence :lol: They were a lovely old couple really, a great day and a great Arsenal memory!

Top Bottom