• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

1989 League Title - Silver Anniversary

alboots101

Established Member
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
I was 9 and didn't know Arsenal until that game, I knew Liverpool though that was the team the bullies at school supported so especially movie like. From then on I was a fan, although I was also a massive fan of Barnes despite my dislike of Liverpool, brilliant player.

alboots101 said:
I think I'm right when I say, that back five was the best in Europe and It was us not them fkn bin dippers that never got a chance to prove our worth.

With everything we have achieved with AW, that night in eighty-nine is still the best night in my forty-three years of supporting thee Arsenal.

Well I'm not sure it was better than Milan to be fair.

Not sure.... :wink:

I am, we were.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
alboots101 said:
I think I'm right when I say, that back five was the best in Europe and It was us not them fkn bin dippers that never got a chance to prove our worth.

With everything we have achieved with AW, that night in eighty-nine is still the best night in my forty-three years of supporting thee Arsenal.

Ditto mate-I went nutz! Quite an unbelievable match and outcome.

redanddread

Coupled with the terrible happenings at Hillsborough and what this game meant to the Liverpool community, the match & the manner in which it played out made for me the most fascinating story of my 42 years as a Gooner. The only shame was that it was just me in the house alone that night and no one to share the joy & ecstasy with. Furthermore, there wasn't the abundance/oversaturation of live footie on TV, so it was a very special live event and without doubt, IMO, our greatest night (in recent times) as a club. It's gone down in folklore, much like Istanbul for the Scousers and Barcelona for UTD fans.

alboots101

Established Member
The fact that it was before SKY means that it never gets the recognition that it truly deserves, much like the invincibles although that was covered by SKY.

@ redanddread, like you I was on my own but on the Saturday I went on a bender with the old man.

burnsjed

Established Member
I remember walking around London for ages to find a bar that was showing the game. Ended up in a place called Elvis' on Tottenham Court Road.
Most of the bar excluding my brother and I were supporting Liverpool (back then they were the Man U as far as the casual supporter was concerned).
Bought the whole bar a drink after the game, and ended up giving a homeless guy a bottle of champagne as I stumbled out of a restaurant!
Was a bloody expensive night!

evoh_1

Established Member
This year is the anniversary of the club moving to islington, for me that is a massive thing,the 89 win was a massive part of our history but without hte mve to highbury we would be nowhere near where we are now.

Hope the club have something in mind for this as its more important than some 125 anniversary.

redanddread

alboots101 said:
The fact that it was before SKY means that it never gets the recognition that it truly deserves, much like the invincibles although that was covered by SKY.

@ redanddread, like you I was on my own but on the Saturday I went on a bender with the old man.

Ironically, my Dad is a Liverpool fan (not a die hard in anyway though) and they were away in MAnchester for the week. I just remember jumping around the house because I didn't know what else to do and had to do something..

burnsjed

Established Member
ok, ok.
I remember when we moved from Woolwich, boy did I kick up a stink.
Started my own blog, well I would have, but the bloody internet wasn't invented yet. Still, happy memories!

alboots101

Established Member
Your being silly now, I remember me and the lads during the Boer war wondering if we'd ever get a decent stadium.

:lol:

Invincible

Established Member
The Jury said:
Almost rude not to include this vid in the op! :cry:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQmO3S2eLPE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQmO3S2eLPE</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One of the best nights of my life. There's just nothing that's going to top that.

ONE GEORGIE GRAHAM.

Stillmatic

Nothing will ever top that night at Anfield, amazing!

It's weird to think Graham became manager of the enemy, what was he thinking.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
The Jury said:
That Liverpool side were arguably the best team in europe - just didn't have the chance to prove it becasue....because of their fans!
Not feeling sorry for them, only feel sorry for our title winning team being robbed of a chance to win the European Cup by scouse hooligans. They cost us a few UEFA Cup entries too.

Players like Alan Smith would be much more known / rated higher abroad if it wasn't for that ban.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
burnsjed said:
I remember walking around London for ages to find a bar that was showing the game. Ended up in a place called Elvis' on Tottenham Court Road.
Most of the bar excluding my brother and I were supporting Liverpool (back then they were the Man U as far as the casual supporter was concerned).
Bought the whole bar a drink after the game, and ended up giving a homeless guy a bottle of champagne as I stumbled out of a restaurant!
Was a bloody expensive night!
Was this the place? The source I have said it was once called The Elvis Pub.

http://www.randompubfinder.com/review.php?Name=The_Rising_Sun,_46_Tottenham_Court_Road&Pub=28

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
clockwork orange said:
The Jury said:
That Liverpool side were arguably the best team in europe - just didn't have the chance to prove it becasue....because of their fans!
Not feeling sorry for them, only feel sorry for our title winning team being robbed of a chance to win the European Cup by scouse hooligans. They cost us a few UEFA Cup entries too.

Players like Alan Smith would be much more known / rated higher abroad if it wasn't for that ban.

I didn't say I felt sorry for them! Just appreciate how good that Liverpool side could be on their day - they were fantastic to watch. I agree, we'd have at least given the cream of Europe a run for their money with what we had back then - even with two alcoholics part of the eleven!

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Yep Pool had a good team those days. Just didn't like them at all those days. Too many people liked them in Holland. That's why I wrote [I'm] not feeling sorry for them. Wasn't about you.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Hmm this occured before I was born! So I suppose I can't pretend that I felt the moment because I didnt experience it.

That said, Ive seen the clips and its quite phenomenal, people go on like the Man City game was the best title decider ever (well I won't argue it was the best of the Premier League era but not the english title in general), but this was a much better feat. As Im made aware, Liverpool those days were like Man Utd or even worse, and a 1-0 lead to them meant it was pretty much game over lol. So to do it at their ground 2-0, haha! It must have been thrilling to actually watch or listen to it.

And on a side note, people say that Wenger has not "kept up with the times" but what about Dalglish? lmao!

Top Bottom