• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

1991 v 2004

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
1990/91 v 2003/04.

There has been a lot of publicity about the current team beating the club record for an unbeaten start to a league season, so how does the current team compare with George Graham’s Champions of 1991? The figures in brackets after each name relate to league appearances only (starts-sub appearances-goals). For 90/91 they cover the whole season, whereas for this season the stats are up to and including Southampton at home.

Goalkeeper. David Seaman (38-0-0) v Jen Lehmann (25-0-0).

Although he was to become a legend at Arsenal, this was actually Spunkys first season at Arsenal, having replaced the hugely popular Johnny Lukic in the summer, joining for £1.3m (then a world record fee for a keeper). Ironically, at the time most fans were vehemently and vocally opposed to the change, but George Grahams quote of ‘I’ve sold one of the best to buy THE best’ was proved right. His first season was phenomenal, conceding only 18 goals and winning the title. The only club to have bettered this figure in modern times was the Liverpool team of 19**/** which only conceded 16.
Jens is also in his first season, having arrived for around about the same fee as Seaman. He has settled in quickly, and is obviously respected and trusted by his colleagues. It wouldn’t be unfair to say that his ‘sweeper/keeper’ style of play took a little getting used to, then again since it’s seemed at times over the last few years that Spunky only left his line when the ref blew for half time and full time that’s hardly surprising! And as for those warm ups...

Verdict : Has to be Spunky for me. Taken as a season he produced one of the best displays ever seen in English football.

Right Back. Lee Dixon (38-0-5) v Lauren (17-2-0).

‘If Dixon plays for England so can I’ was the chant that greeted Lee from most opposition fans, but he did and they didn’t, so there! Lee came with no frills, just a damn good right back getting on with his job. Always available, always working, and a player that would never, ever hide on the field. He was also our penalty taker.
Ralph is a bit of a strange one at right back for me. It’s obviously not his natural position, and he appears to have put in a lot of work to make the spot his own. Ralph has the power and presence we’ve come to expect (rightly or wrongly) from African players in recent years, and cares enough about the club to have given up international football (although he appears to have succumbed to the lure of representing his country again - a shame for Arsenal no doubt, but quite understandable) for a while.

Verdict : Lee wins. For me Ralph still has problems when he’s faced with an out and out winger, whereas Lee would have them choosing which seat they wanted to land in!

Left Back. Nigel Winterburn (38-0-0) v Ashley Cole (22-0-0).

Nutty Nigel - what a hero! Wimbledon player of the year 4 (or was it 5?) straight years before joining Arsenal, and never let us down, even when playing his first few games at right back! Had a big job on his hands replacing Kenny Sansom, but was an unqualified success. He had an amazing ability to get round players and tackle them cleanly even if they were a couple of yards ahead of him at the time.
It all came rather suddenly for Ash. It seemed as though he went from being a reserve to an Arsenal and England regular overnight. A converted winger, he has had to work hard at his defensive play but is having a superb season. The only time he looks exposed defensively these days is playing for England, when it appears he is expected to play left back, left midfield and left wing since no one else seems to bother with that side of the pitch!

Verdict : One for Wengers boys here. Ash has a long way to go to eclipse Nutty’s career at Arsenal, but based on this season v 90/91 he gets the nod from me.

Centre Half. Tony Adams (30-0-1) v Sol Campbell (22-0-1).

It was one hell of a season for Tone. His drinking was starting to be a problem and it was due to drink he found himself taking a mid-winter break at her Maj.’s pleasure. On the pitch however, it never showed. Born to lead, and born to lead Arsenal. There was absolutely no chance of an Arsenal team slacking when he was on the pitch.
Sulzeer has been Wengers own ‘colossus’ in defence. In an age of fancy Dan centre halves, very few have that ‘they shall not pass’ mentality. Had problems settling initially after joining from some little club, but overcame those to become a Highbury Hero.

Verdict : Sorry Sol, but I can’t vote against TA!

Centre Half. Steve Bould (38-0-0) v Kolo Toure (23-1-3).

Steve Bould never got the plaudits, but he was a vital member of the team. Sadly underrated (as was Winterburn) at international level, but not at Highbury. Got on with his job without being flashy, but there weren’t many strikers around that would choose to spend a Saturday afternoon playing against him. A superb run of form in TA’s absence kept the run going, and in fact the only league game we lost all season was after he’d gone off injured at half time.
I don’t know where this season Kolo has come from, but I’m glad he did! Everyone knew he was enthusiastic and could play, but I for one never thought he could play with the discipline needed in central defence. He has been an absolute revelation this term, and his form has been outstanding in defence.

Verdict : It’s a tough one, but I’m going to go (just) for Kolo. I just feel his dynamism gives him the edge.

Right Midfield. David Rocastle (13-3-2) v Freddie Ljungberg (21-1-4).

Not a good season for Rocky, the injuries that would blight his career were starting to show, and he missed a lot of the season, although he never let us down when he did play. Perry Groves and Paul Merson also played on the right, but Rocky was first choice when fit.
Freddie is having a bit of an in and out season. I know some people (rather foolishly) still cling to the mistaken belief that he’s only had 1 good spell for Arsenal, but a 1 in 4 goals ration across his Arsenal career nails that one. When he’s on form he’s devastating, and there are few players in the world as good at running between left back and centre half.

Verdict : I idolised Rocky, but it wasn’t a good season for him, so Freddie gets this one.

Central Midfield. Paul Davis (36-1-3) v Patrick Vieira (16-0-0).

Davo was virtually ever present, and had probably his best season for Arsenal. He overcame the boo boys who had blighted his earlier career, and was a lot tougher on the pitch than he appeared, despite having such a cultured left foot (well, left feet are always ‘cultured’ aren’t they). He was the player more than anyone that dictated the tempo we played at.
What can I say about Paddy? Well, he’s the best player in his position in the world should cover it. One of the very few players who can totally change a game by example. How on earth he finds enough space in midfield to constantly be flicking balls over opponents heads I don’t know!

Verdict : Sorry Davo, but I’m sure you’ll understand Paddy getting my vote here.

Central Midfield. Mickey Thomas (27-4-2) v Gilberto Silva (20-1-4).

Mickey was not the player he had been when he first broke into the team. He had the potential to be an Arsenal and England central midfielder for a decade but ever achieved it. Power, pace and skill in abundance, but maybe ‘that goal’ was a bit of a millstone for him.
Poly is absolutely vital to our game plan. Amongst the artists every great team has the unspectacular artisans that allow them the freedom to play. There’s nothing flash about Poly, which suits his role. Superb at the little niggly tackles to break up moves before they start (normally without any censure from the ref which is handy), and always available to cover a gallivanting defender. Perfect foil for Paddy as he gives him the freedom to drive forward.

Verdict : Gilberto Silva. Are there really people out there who can’t see how vital he is?

Left Midfield. Anders Limpar (32-2-11) v Robert Pires (22-1-8).

Super Swede was the second of George Grahams three summer signings. At just over a million proved a bargain. A genuinely two footed player he not only had a good scoring record, but he was also superb at setting up others. Devastated defences all season, and immediately became a big favourite with the fans.
Bobby is back to his best now. It took him a while to fully recover from his injury, but he appears back to his best. Deceptively fast, another left sided player who’s as adept at supplying as scoring. Although we know he rarely tackles, he does a lot of defensive work covering and slowing players down.

Verdict : A tough one this, but I’m going for Bobby because he’s more valuable as a team player.

Striker. Alan Smith (35-2-22) v Thierry Henry (24-0-19)

Smudger was a wonderfully skilled player who never got the acclaim away from Highbury that he undoubtedly deserved. Winning the Golden Boot in both Grahams Championship teams tells you all you need to know about his scoring ability, but he was far far more than that. When Arsenal were under pressure all the players needed to do was hoof it at Smith and they knew there was a fair chance the ball would stick and relieve pressure. As adept playing with his back to goal setting people up as actually scoring.
What can I say about Thierry that hasn’t be said before? Absolutely nothing to be honest. Quite simply the best there is.

Verdict : Any striker of any age would be in trouble being compared to Titi, so it’s no shame to Smudger not to get this one.

Striker. Paul Merson (36-1-13) v Dennis Bergkamp (13-5-3).

The Merse. He wasn’t a player, more a whole lifestyle, and the North Bank loved him for it. He was the home grown player that the terrace fans probably most identified with, probably because you knew that if (or when...) you bumped into him in a pub somewhere, he’d be laughing at the same jokes and getting in the same scrapes as you. But on the pitch he had a storming season. Playing with a freedom that would leave him when his problems became too much, he was a joy to watch, mesmerising defenders for fun.
Den is one of the all time great players. Seems to be playing with a new lease of life recently and apparently wishes to extend his stay in North London again (not bad for a ‘Carlos Kickaball’ who wouldn’t last a season, eh Mr Sugar...). When on form there is no one who can play an intricate pass through a massed defence like him, but not only that, he also has the ability to choose the right pass, which is even more important. It will be a sad day when he does finally retire.

Verdict : DB10’s career may have enjoyed higher highs, and The Merse’s lower lows, but comparing just these seasons it has to be ‘Magic Man’ Paul Merson.

So, in good old fashioned 1-11 that gives us a team of: 1. David Seaman, 2. Lee Dixon, 3. Ashley Cole, 4. Patrick Vieira, 5. Kolo Toure, 6. Tony Adams (c), 7. Gilberto Silva, 8. Freddie Ljungberg, 9. Thierry Henry, 10. Paul Merson, 11. Robert Pires.

Well, There’s the team, but what about the manager? I think that’s probably the toughest one just comparing two seasons, so I’m going to bottle it and go for the obvious of George Graham coaching the defenders and Arsène Wenger the attackers. Except when Arsène picks a team everyone seems to be willing to attack, so maybe that gives him more work to do!

Other players that made league appearances:
1990/91 David O’Leary (11-10-1), Kevin Campbell (15-7-9), Perry Groves (13-9-3), David Hillier (9-7-0), Andy Linighan (7/3/0), Siggi Jonsson (2-0-0), Andy Cole (0-1-0) and Colin Pates (0-1-0).
2003/04 Ray Parlour (12-8-0), Pascal Cygan (10-4-0), Edu (7-14-1), Sylvain Wiltord (6-4-3), Gael Clichy (4-2-0), Kanu (3-6-1), Jeremie Aliadiere (3-4-0), Martin Keown (3-2-0), Jose Antonio Reyes (1-2-0) and Justin Hoyte (0-1-0).

Top Bottom