• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2003-2004 A Big Let Down?

MAK

I really can't believe what I am hearing/reading in some quarters that Arsène is having to justify this season. Fans favourite (sic) Myles Palmer seems to think our season has gone 'phut'.

Today we will live in a sad tabloid world with the ability to recall only about the last 5 seconds. Everything is sensationalised and therefore trivialised. Superlatives mean nothing as everything is the best/worst ever...in the history of the world. The danger is that we all come to believe the hype. Three weeks ago we were the greatest British team ever, now we are abject failures who bottle it at the final hurdle. In truth we are neither.

When does finishing as Champions, which hopefully we will, with a potentially a record for fewest defeats and certainly one for longest sequence without loss need justifying?

Add to that semi finals in both domestic Cups and the quarter final of the Champions League and it equates to a pretty amazing season.

Add to that the fact that Ashburton Grove is now a reality, all the key players are secured on long term contracts, there are some phenomenal young players at the club and we have played some scintillating football (Inter away, Liverpool home/away, Boro away, Chelsea home/away/away/away) and it really is an awesome time to be a Gooner. We have also ground out results when it seemed we were dead and buried.

OK the expectation levels over the last couple of months went from quadruple to treble to double and then 'only' the Premiership and perhaps there is a case for a little disappointment. Afterall an ambitous and successful club wants to win everything. If you had said in August that our season would turn out this way many would have doubted you. Few would not have settled for it.

Remember the doom and gloom of last summer? We supposedly had no money, the best players were leaving, no new players were coming through, Ashburton Grove had halted, blah, blah. I remember one particularly hilarous piece by northern pillock John Nicholson on football365 predicting that we would be fighting it out with Sp**s for a midtable position. Well he was half right.

What has been acheived this season has been nothing short of miraculous. We have had the usual obstacles in terms of injuries and suspensions. We have had to go toe to toe with clubs that have almost limitless financial resources and come out very much as top dogs.

As a younster I dreamed of an Arsenal that played stunning football and boasted a world class squad. Remember I am of a generation that thought Alan Hudson would be a great signing and Richie Powling was the great hope for the future. I dreamed that as a Club we could match Europes finest off the pitch too in terms of stature and finance. As a youngster just to play in the European Cup was a pipedream, heck I went most of my life before I saw us win at Anfield and thought that beating Sp**s was a big deal.

We now have the club that I once dreamed of. We have a Manager who is quite simply unique. I have come to regard him as almost a Messiah. Through all of the change we have still retained our identity and our traditional values. In some ways we are being spoiled. Each season our expectation levels grow and rightly so. Yet we do have a club and a squad that is capable of delivering those expectations. Who knows how long this will last. We have had many periods in the wilderness. A Sp**s supporting 'mate' of mine has this theory about success and football being a cyclical thing. I do also like to point out that 2 League titles over a hundred years means that his next period of total domination is around 2040. Which half of North London do want to be in?

I for one will enjoy every last moment of the remainder of the season and jump for joy as and when we are confirmed as Champions.

The close season is a long time to go without seeing my beloved Arsenal.

Arsene

This season has been a let down - expectations are higher every season - even higher after our start.

Face it we did screw our best chance ever of a treble - people are going to be upset!

Anders Limpar

Cheers...

...I for one have been disappointed a few times this season, the semifinal against Boro when I hoped for a stronger line up, the semfinal against ManUtd when we performed below our standard and the second half against Chelsea...

...but only because I actually believed (and still do) we could won it all. But in no way is this season a failure, quite the opposite if you ask me...

Come on gooners, we are soon to be champions yet again!!

Split

If you look back to the expectations at the start of the season, it definitely has not been a let down.

It had the potential to be the greatest season in the clubs history, but it wasn't quite, obviously they're have been disappointing moments (just 2, but very big ones!) when we felt let down. But provided we win the league I think we can look at this as a successful, very positive season.

How can it be a let to only just fall short of the greatest season ever?

We started aiming for the stars and it looks like we'll end up in the clouds.
At the start of the season the predictions were that we just make the trees, so I'm very happy with the clouds!

Eric Cantona eat you heart out! I can do crazy, pretentious metaphors too!

:shock: :eek:ops:

Gunner4life09

well it may seem like its been a huge let down this season but if u think about your own expectation for arsenal at the start of this season was it to win the Treble? i don't think so. to stay Unbeaten in the league? no either. so really arsenal have done me proud, they are on their way to winning the title and winning unbeaten(i hope so). i admit i was really disapointed when we lost to Chelsea and Manutd but really we have done really well under the circumstances.

I am really proud to be a gooner.

gooner#1

u could call it that but remember we have smashed all records this season and are about to get the premiership soon so its not to bad!

MAK

To those that agree with me I salute you and will savour every last moment of this stupendous season with you in spirit if not in person.

To those that feel let down and disappointed - WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE. it has been a great year. the fact we even got close makes it our best season ever. We may have won more trophies 71, 93, 98 7 02 but were we ever really this close to imortality. I think not.

I am proud of what has been achieved both on and off the pitch. We are slowly moving onwards and upwards. Appreciate this special time.

Stim

For me this season has been fantastic and completely agree with everything MAK said.

If this season has been a let down for us, what the hell has it been for United?

Upset we not done treble

but very happy with season overall

we can and will do better

personally thank the lads for making this gooner proud
to be a gooner

and dont forget WE ARE ABOUT TO WIN THE BIG 1

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
We've lost 4 competitive matches all season, through four competitons and stand on the verge of another title. How this season could even be thought of as a let down is beyond me. Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Reds!

Mark

Established Member
No way is this season a failure. The treble was too much to hope for imo. If we get a bigger squad we can go for it, but considering how they were writing us off at the start of the season, to go this far without losing and only needing 2 wins out of 5 of the remaining league games to seal the title is never going to be a failure. If we somehow messed it up now it would be the biggest failure ever. Bigger than last season's. The team is much better this year though and won't let it happen.

Aussie

Established Member
At the start of the season i would have taken the league title as would have everybody else. However i was hoping for a double or even a treble just a few weeks ago. However what an achivement it would be if we could go the whole season undefeated.

Biggus

Established Member
I think were a victim of our own success we tantillise and tease and promise much more. As Arsène said : Appreciate what you have and don't take success for granted, Some of us older Gooners have seen some reallyShit Arsenal seasons and I'm sure we'll see some again. Remember this was sort of a" holding ground season"what with the cash problems and that, this team is very much a work still in progress.

thegame24

Established Member
I expected at least 2 trophies, however, doing this well in the league is no way a bad season.

Well Played

Alexone234

The press are there to question everything otherwise they have nothing to do for a living. They have one ethos which is to build people into stars so they have bigger targets to shoot down. Don't listen to any doubter and look at what we have done. This run, should we extend it to the end of the season, will be something i don't feel will ever be repeated.

MAK

I guess also the thing that is different now compared with the pre-Wenger eras is that if we fail there is genuine belief amongst the players and the fans that we will be back challenging again the year after.

I think it is called hope and it is a good thing, it may even be the best thing.

Thank you Arsène.

raymond

MAK said:
I really can't believe what I am hearing/reading in some quarters that Arsène is having to justify this season. Fans favourite (sic) Myles Palmer seems to think our season has gone 'phut'.

You might believe more of what you read if you bothered to understand it! By that he means the season's over:

"ASHBURTON GROVE is a reality, and Arsenal will be champions, so it's been a terrific season for Gooners.

But the season went phut last week, as soon as Ranieri conceded the title."

GunnerUS9

Hell of a post, MAK. Had you offered semis of both domestic cups, 1/4 final of the CL, and the Premiership last summer, I, and I think any rational Gooner, would've jumped at the chance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom