• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2006/2007 Season review

Thommybhoy

Established Member
Now that we have secured Champions League next season I think that we can start writing positive and negative things that happened to this season or things that this season helped us to realize.

In my personal life I realized that out of my top 5 events that happned to me this year(2007) so far, in 3 I have Arsenal very much involved. Lets start with good ones:
1. I passed 6/7 of my exams within a week with surprisingly high grades
2. I went to London and I saw Highbury and Ashburton grove for the first time (of couse I spent too much money in Armoury :) )
3. Bringing presents I brought in London to my family and friends (I always love that feeling), and London experince all in all.

Bad ones:
1. I failed the most important exam again, and it has to be said: "with a huge share of bad luck" among other things
2. PSV
There have been some more interesting, nice and bad stuff, but they really happen practically every day, so all in all, that events are not so special. Well thinking about that I realized what how much did my love towards Arsenal grown over these years. I would say long years, but I have a feeling that this season is the longest. But look into the future reasures me. But I must say I would also like to see certain club legends and current coach team and players to reassure me also.

Now what do I think we gained this season regarding football:
1. Gael Clichy - he has proven himself 100% and, as he said that he will help Wenger save money on buying new LB, he secured LB position. We all can be really proud of Arsenal spirit in that young man.
2. Tomas Rosicky - If he was available yesterday we would be waiting for 1/4 draw now, I'm sure. The way and the speed he adopted to English football is amazing. And things he can do in the midfield together with Hleb and Cesc are amazing.
3. Robin van Persie - Robin established himself as one of top10 if not top5 striker in the world. Try to name 5 better that him, which you can really prove to be better with strong agruments. I can't. Best player with his back to goal in the league. Excellent free kicks, excellent set pieces, unstopable when has ball in the area on his left foot, and on and on and on and on....
4. Emmanuel Adebayor - I know we are all mad a him for missing that chance for 2-0 yesterday, but just try to compare his performance against, let's say, Dinamo home and Pompey (or December all in all). He proved to us he can do amazing things on his, even Rio Ferdinand agrees. Just "his days" have to be more frequent. He finally scored, after a long period, and what better place and time than one he choosed :)
5. Cesc Fabregas - sky's the limit and he keeps on proving that every week to us. When he plays you have a feeling that there is nothing he can't do with his passes, tackles and moves. He only has to improve his shooting and raise everything else to another lever of excellence. Just remember he is only 19. He wasn't even born when space station Mir was launched or when Chernobyl exploded or FIFA World Cup in Mexico took place.... I really hope that he will still be a Gunner even after his current contract expires in 2014. Gooners can really say they now: "The importance of having Cesc!"
5. Aleksandr Hleb - he had an excellent season. I somewhere read:"When Hleb plays well, Arsenal plays well" and I agree 100%. His dribbles are amazing and his ability to hide the ball away from his opponents is not seen often.
6. Abou Diaby, Denilson, Theo Walcott, Armand Traore, Johann Djourou, Philippe Senderos - they all showed us how bright is out future and what are they capable of doing even now.
7. More youngsters - Arsène Wenger signed AGAIN(!!) :) , a lot of youngsters looking betters than ever. Just take a look at our young teams and remeber who wasn't here a year ago.
8. Freddie Ljungberg - he is here just beacuse I'm huge Freddie fan and he always gives his whole self in any game, even when it's is not his day, and he is unique for that. I have a feeling that recent few games his is catching up his old form. His performances with Ade up front were really very good. He still has a lot to show, us I think.
....This are only discoveries from this season, events we can count as positive in this bad season.

Bad thing we could do without next season:
1. injuries, ref, low amout of goals from 100% chances - God let them stop. This is unbelievable, I hope that they happen because of something our staff can really put their finger on and stop once and for all. BTW Refs weren't too keen on us also, were they? Neither luck.
2. Thierry's nightmare season - Titi we are all right by your side and we hope you will get well soon, and start tear opponents' nets with your trademark shots. We hope to see your trademark runs dribles and enegance in thier full glory as soon as possible. We missed them a lot this year.
3. not our old Freddie - As much as we missed Titi in top form we missed Freddie in top form. I hope that Freddie will also play as well as he can in very near future.
I'm not going to write anymore about negative thing from this season beacuse I want to forget them as soon as possible.
4. Recent things regarding Dein and Kroenke. What will happen over there is I think to close to call.

Lord Dula

Established Member
Not a season to long back on - let's sweep it under the rug and let it not happen again.

Now we're done lets all savour what the transfer rumour mill brings.

the dawn raids

Established Member
well, very few things to remember fondly really; ades winner at old trafford, van persies cracker against charlton, flaminis goal at the bridge and walcotts first goal in cardiff come straight to mind.

but it does have to say something about where this team can go when we havent had a goalscorer in double figures for about two months now yet were still going to play CL football again, even though it did get ugly there for a while.

finally getting some goals from midfield can only be seen as a good thing and i agree with many around here in thinking this team doesnt need too many additions. however, the additions that are needed (a goalscoring winger, a capable third striker because RVP and Henry cant stay healthy and Ades proven he cant shoulder the load, etc) are absolutely vital. and if those areas arent strengthened i really dont see us getting any closer to chelsea or united.

oh, and toure and cesc MUST get some rest this summer.

M+D

Established Member
Our season in statistics (all competitions). (Although sometimes statistics don't tell the real story, I do think they help)
Top 5's:
Attacking:
Goal's/goal ratio -
Robin Van Persie: 13 goals / 0.42 per game
Thierry Henry: 12 goals / 0.44 per game
Manu Adebayor: 11 goals / 0.26 per game
Julio Baptista: 9 goals / 0.28 per game
Gilberto Silva: 9 goals / 0.2 per game
Our top 2 scorers have both been out for half the season. We need these players fit to push on next year.

Assists -
Cesc Fabregas: 12 assists
Robin Van Persie: 8 assists
Thierry Henry: 7 assists
Theo Walcott: 7 assists
Manu Eboue: 6 assists
Funny to note that 4 out of these have missed large chunks of our season....And not one of our normal wingers in sight...

Shots -
Thierry Henry: 130 shots
Robin van Persie: 99 shots
Cesc Fabregas: 94 shots
Manu Adebayor: 71 shots
Julio Baptista: 67 shots
This is why Henry scores so much. He gets into so many good positions so many times in matches that he's bound to score a load of them. As this shows, even a half fit Henry can do this.

Defending:
Most Fouls -
Cesc Fabregas: 74 fouls
Adebayor: 54 fouls
Gilberto Silva: 49 fouls
Alex Hleb: 41 fouls
Kolo Toure: 37 fouls

Yellow cards -
Cesc Fabregas: 9
Jens Lehmann: 8
Robin Van Persie: 8
Kolo Toure: 7
Gael Clichy: 6
It's interesting that Gilberto only got 2 yellow cards this season (so far), but was 3rd in "most fouls".

Other:
Appearances -
Cesc Fabregas: 51 appearances
Kolo Toure: 50 appearances
Gilberto: 45 appearances
Alex Hleb: 45 appearances
Jens Lehmann: 42 appearances
Good "old" Cesc! Him and Kolo must be exhausted, and definitely need a rest in the summer.

stuart

Established Member
There are some positives to take out of the season. We still haven't lost to the spuds, we have beaten the Mancs twice, Liverpool 3 times and drew at Stamford Bridge (nearly beating them with our kids in Cardiff) these show that the team has the potential. The re-emergence if you like of Cesc in recent weeks goes to show what a diamond he have to unleash, with time he is only going to get better and if his goal rate improves we will have the best central midfeilder in the world next season. Van Persie finally started to show his class consistently before the horrible injury and Thierry is still banging in goals on 50% fitness.

Then there are the games such as Sheff Utd away, highlighting the weaknesses of the team and our apparent stubborness notto change our style, no matter who the opposition or what the conditions are. This has proved a serious flaw in the potential of these players. Even when we fielded players like Flamini, Gilberto, Baptista we still seemed incapable of getting down and dirty. Maybe this seasons failures will bring sucess next year. Maybe the players will take a long hard look at themselves and realise that to strive forward they are going to need to sacrafice the total football on a few more occassions.

Like i said, this seasons failures may well bring the best out of the players. Next season will show us the hunger we have within the team

sesquioxide

Merida+Denilson said:
Top 5's:
Attacking:
Goal's/goal ratio -
Robin Van Persie: 13 goals / 0.42 per game
Thierry Henry: 12 goals / 0.44 per game
Manu Adebayor: 11 goals / 0.26 per game
Julio Baptista: 9 goals / 0.28 per game
Shots -
Thierry Henry: 130 shots
Robin van Persie: 99 shots
Cesc Fabregas: 94 shots
Manu Adebayor: 71 shots
Julio Baptista: 67 shots

It's interesting that Gilberto only got 2 yellow cards this season (so far), but was 3rd in "most fouls".

Merida+Denilson, thanks for the stats! By the way, where did you get the shot statistics? Do they include all competitions? They show that Adebayor have the highest goals to shot ratio of all our strikers? (I think according to Eurosport.com, van Persie slightly edges both Adebayor and Henry, who are roughly on the same percentage, in the Premiership games in terms of the goals to shot ratio?) I think you might blow the minds of a few people around here about Adebayor's finishing. :D

And about Gilberto's yellow card record, I think it has something to do with how he appears after he commits a foul. The guy has a sly and professional way of walking away from the crime scene when he's done the deed, as you would expect from a seasoned World Cup winning veteran. He really should teach the others about how to do it. :D

AFCG7

Established Member
I think it has to do more with Gilberto's reputation more than anything else.. he is not known as a dirty player.. most of the times referees may also take that inot account in deciding whether or not to book him. Paddy used to commit similar fouls but would get booked every time.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
Well I must say that chelski game depressed me more than I thought it will. Maybe that's because I was really sure we won't have any trouble to win this one. Still, we are no1 if you count results of top 4 teams:
Arsenal 6 3 2 1 9:8 11
manure 5 2 1 2 5:4 7
chelski 5 1 3 1 4:5 6
L'pool 6 2 0 4 6:8 6

I also can't be so furious at Hleb and Ade. They both showed us what they can do and I'm sure that, with Wenger's help, they will play most of the games at thier best next season. I also feel that this summer preparation period will be very hard for Arsène, he will have to do more work than ever. Not just beacuse Dein left, but beacuse we must make our team stronger on just few positions, he has to decide which positions are those and who will fulfill those positions, who will he let to leave (Flam and Ali seem to be only players that are 100% sure to be leaving us and Bap is about 85% sure to leave us, Reyes also) and maybe most important of all, he must lift form of many players and help them fulfill their potential ASAP. Mainly Hleb, Titi (after injury), Robin (after injury), Tomas, Eboue and Toure (he made to many mistakes this season, for player of his calibre and abilities). I must say I'm not convinced when I hear players and Wenger say that we will be title and Champions League challengers next season. Why does that feel to me like just bunch of empty words right now? I hope that this depression around the team ends very soon.
P.S. Recently I realized that 10 wins in a row (in all competitions) at the beginning of 2007/08 season would be excellent. But why does that sound so unrealistic right now?

True Gooner

Established Member
Okay - I'll do that when I get more time.
Hope others will rate the players for the good things that they have done and not only the bad things :whistling

slapz

It's been one of them seasons where we struggled in front of goal yet again and then got caught on by a sucker punch many times.

I dont know whether its to do with the new stadium or the quest for the perfect goal but hopefully some people can learn for next season.

We would have done much better had we not lost Robin for half the season as we needed someone greedy up top who went for goal instead of trying to find a pass that isn't there.

On the plus side, we did the double over the new champions ( even playing them off their own park ), we drew twice with chelsea which is better than we did last season, won twice at Anfield and finally got the better of Bolton.

We just got to do better against teams we should be able to beat easy like Sheff Utd, Newcastle etc AND Hleb needs to get some balls and take a shot on goal when he's near the area

qs

Established Member
I'd rather move on than dwell on whats been a miserable and frustrating season.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
Arsenal success against clubs this season in Premier League
team..........goals...points
Blackburn....8:2............6
Charlton.......6:1............6
Reading.......6:1............6
Watford.........5:1............6
manure.........3:1............6
Wigan............3:1............6
spuds.............5:2...........4
Aston Villa.....2:1............4
Sheffield........3:1............3
Fulham..........4:3............3
ManCity..........3:2............3
Liverpool........4:4............3
Bolton.............3:4............3
chelski............2:2............2
M'brough........2:2............2
Newcastle.....1:1............2
Portsmouth...2:2............1 (1 more game)
Everton...........1:2............1
West Ham......0:2...........0

sparky44

Look at the bottom five teams in that table. Just another 'if only' season isnt it!

Oh well. Chin up and lets look forward to next season, I am confident we can challenge for some serious silverware. The only way is up!

RobinVanPersie

Nice stats from everyone :)

If I look to next season, I want to know what Robin and Cesc are going to do with those cards and fools.

8 yellow cards for half a season for a striker is too much.

And Cesc with the most fouls and cards...that's the only thing that he can do better. I love his passion and he wants to fight for his club. But he should learn to control himself.

Alfonso

Established Member
I think Clichy and Fabregas should be in the positives. Clichy has arguably been our best player in 2007.

He is everything that Arsenal is not at the moment. Pride, passion, good mentally, always giving 100%, getting on with the game, not moaning, urgency, and directness.

Although he can improve his game a bit.

Top Bottom