• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2006/2007 Season review

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i would say "best" player of the season was Bert... Cesc really looked off the pace in the middle of the season... positive surprise would be Hoyte to me...agree with worst and negative surprise.. and probably the rest of your thoughts...

kel varnsen

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I prefer Diaby at the moment, personally - I don't think his passing is as good as Denilson's but I REALLY rate midfielders who can hold onto the ball with the strength Diaby's shown since he arrived.

so in spite of denilson's superior passing game, ability to impose himself on the game and tackling skill you prefer diaby?

diaby has been average at best so far. even if one's expectations are lowered due to his lengthy injury. diaby's passing game is not even close to good enough. not only does he constantly make the wrong decision on the ball, but he rarely connects with slightly more difficult passes. he goes missing for much of the game and i've not seen much to suggest he's much of a goal threat either. in short, he can shield and protect the ball well. in almost every other aspect he has a lot of work to do, yet you prefer him to denilson, who's actually been pretty good every time he's played so far?

asajoseph

Established Member
Denilson's passing game is fine, but it's not exactly been proven to be anything to wet the bed about just yet.

For me, I prefer Diaby's physical presence at this stage, I like the way he holds the ball, and imposes himself on opposition players. Much more so than Denilson, at this stage.

But frankly, I can't be ****ed to fight about it - I like both players, and I'm glad we've got both at the moment. So what's the point?

Webdesignlab

Established Member
One big thing this season has to be the fact that Bolton et al are no longer our bogey teams.

That was a BIG weight off our back. Now we can at least play these guys on a level field, and I will back us every time now.

Also has our corner to goals ratio (to the opposition) gone down towards the end of season? I think it must have .. that has to be good.

Small things ... I know.

jester

Established Member
Thommybhoy said:
Best player of the season: Cesc
Positive surprise of the season: Clichy
Worst player of the season: Bap
Negative surprise of the season: Bap
Goal of the season: RvP away at Charlton for 2-1
Save of the season: Mad Jens vs Solskjaer away at manure
Best new player: Tomas

same for me 8)

Biggus

Established Member
Webdesignlab said:
One big thing this season has to be the fact that Bolton et al are no longer our bogey teams.

No, now we've got West Ham :lol:

On the Denilson/Diaby Thing, they have different styles so there's room for both in the future. But at the moment we really lack the drive and power "a more mature Diaby" could potentially give us.

sesquioxide

Biggus said:
Webdesignlab said:

No, now we've got West Ham :lol:

On the Denilson/Diaby Thing, they have different styles so there's room for both in the future. But at the moment we really lack the drive and power "a more mature Diaby" could potentially give us.

I agree, Biggus. We would need both Diaby and Denilson in the future. I honestly feel that there are some games where Fabregas and Gilberto should not be used (such as games against the physical, long ball, ankle kicking, 10 men behind the ball teams) until the situation calls for their talents, and how Denilson and Diaby destroyed Bolton in the FA Cup game in February definitely gave me hope that we will have a way to accomodate all three of Fabregas, Diaby, and Denilson.

Don Pacifico

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Denilson's passing game is fine, but it's not exactly been proven to be anything to wet the bed about just yet.

For me, I prefer Diaby's physical presence at this stage, I like the way he holds the ball, and imposes himself on opposition players. Much more so than Denilson, at this stage.

But frankly, I can't be f*d to fight about it - I like both players, and I'm glad we've got both at the moment. So what's the point?

Agreed.

jester said:
Thommybhoy said:
Best player of the season: Cesc
Positive surprise of the season: Clichy
Worst player of the season: Bap
Negative surprise of the season: Bap
Goal of the season: RvP away at Charlton for 2-1
Save of the season: Mad Jens vs Solskjaer away at manure
Best new player: Tomas

same for me 8)

I'll third that. 8)

Actually

No, I wont.

I don't think Cesc has been our best player, I think he has been a little inconsistent, and he was at his worst during the middle of the season during our lull...although perhaps that shows how much we rely on him.

My choice for player of the season would probably have been RVP if he hadn't been injured, but since he was, I'd go for Gilberto. He deserves a medal for his performance against the Chavs (away) alone. The fact that our defence has beens so shaky this season only highlighted his importance.

KY

Established Member
asajoseph said:
You reckon?

I mean, he's looked decent and all, but has he really acheived anything yet to really get the blood racing?

I think he's looked alright, but I'd say the jury's still out on that one...

Since when do defensive midfielders get the blood racing? Managers will rip the very heart out of his body if a DM starts doing stepovers in the middle of their own half... :D

Biggus

Established Member
sesquioxide said:
[how Denilson and Diaby destroyed Bolton in the FA Cup game in February definitely gave me hope that we will have a way to accomodate all three of Fabregas, Diaby, and Denilson.

Well thats the plan that if we can keep them together all our Kids will come of age at the same time.
Gilberto is very much a medium term solution. say 2-3 years

Shadow Moses

Established Member
Best players: RVP, Clichy, Gilberto
Unexpected disappointments: Henry, Baptista, Hleb, Gallas, Jens,
Expected disappointments: Ade, Ali, Eboue, Freddie
OK season: Cesc, Rosicky, Toure, Hoyte

BannedKwame

Thommybhoy said:
Arsenal success against clubs this season in Premier League
team..........goals...points
Blackburn....8:2............6
Charlton.......6:1............6
Reading.......6:1............6
Watford.........5:1............6
manure.........3:1............6
Wigan............3:1............6
spuds.............5:2...........4
Aston Villa.....2:1............4
Sheffield........3:1............3
Fulham..........4:3............3
ManCity..........3:2............3
Liverpool........4:4............3
Bolton.............3:4............3
chelski............2:2............2
M'brough........2:2............2
Newcastle.....1:1............2
Portsmouth...2:2............1 (1 more game)
Everton...........1:2............1
West Ham......0:2...........0
This table, my fellow maniacs, contains the important statistics when measuring our performance this season. We generally do worse against teams with poorer defensive records-- attacking teams. Of course one can't explain West Ham, but what the ****. In order words, put 10 men behind the ball and Arsenal suffers to score, because Arsenal cannot score from a set piece, outside the box, or without the exerted influences of Henry and RVP. A team overly dependant on one or two players, lacking effectiveness in front of goal, and experience does not win league championships.

BannedKwame

asajoseph said:

But frankly, I can't be f*d to fight about it - I like both players, and I'm glad we've got both at the moment. So what's the point?
wow, we actually agree on something. Praise a photon.

For my part, I expect Diaby to be an absolute star if he can stay free of injuries.

Biggus

Established Member
henry79 said:

Thanks for that Henry, Most of us would agree with every word.

Arseblog said:
Alexander Hleb: Early in the season I thought he had improved a great deal. His workrate was up, he tracked back, he didn’t give the ball away as much but it was only temporary. As the season went on so he got worse. He’d give the ball away and stand around staring instead of trying to get it back (one moment in the FA Cup game against Blackburn in particular made me seriously angry), his passing to the opposition become more frequent and at times flamboyant and his general contribution seemed to be to slow our attacks down as much as possible. What’s most frustrating is the fact he is very skillful and has such quick feet but he’s never going to fit into this Arsenal team and the way we play. He was a ‘number 10′ in Germany but plays wide here, he doesn’t score enough, he doesn’t make enough goals, he bollixes up too much of our attacking play and I think the best for all concerned would be if he was moved on in the summer.

Sound familiar?

marco

agree with arseblog on most apart from the senderos comment...

and that he wouldnt mind gallas going..

for me gallas is the most important defender to keep

Biggus

Established Member
Why Marco... Phil has been injured and Drogba is every defenders nightmare- power and technique :shock:

Agree with you about Gallas though. We should hold onto our Willie for a bit longer. :wink:

Latest posts

Top Bottom