• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2008-2009: a year in review

xcdude24

Established Member
I'll try to keep this as level-headed as possible, as i'm still fuming about today.

I'm not even really sure where to begin, but I think that after the end of this season, the Arsenal finds itself at a crossroads; as a club, as a squad, and even as fans. The season obviously got off to a bad start(both on and off the pitch), and I don't think we were able to recover from that. After Flamster and to a lesser extent Hleb left, there was a huge gap in quality, and players that flat out shouldn't be starting were playing game in and game out. Guys like Denilson are easy to scapegoat because they were so consistently poor, but it's hard to blame them: they were thrown in the deep end and they drowned because they flat out haven't learned to swim. I think the whole "young players shouldn't be starting" thing has been beaten to death, so i'll go no further.

I think one of the biggest disappointments in terms of the squad performance was the fact that our "established" guys just didn't show up this season, at all. I always thought that Ade was one of our hardest workers prior to this season, but he looks apathetic and lazy out there now. Van Persie's tried hard all season, but the injuries have really done a number on him. In that respect, RVP and Ade are polar oppisites: Ade's got a load to offer, but just didn't offer it; RVP wants to have a contribution, but he just can't get into the groove of things. Another letdown has been Fabregas' form. A lot of it can be attributed to his lengthy injury and the way Wenger deployed him post-injury(more on that later), but even before the injury he just wasn't able to contribute. I thought appointing him captain was a good idea just because the Gallas captaincy was a huge distraction to the squad and the fans, but captains have to consistently play better than Cesc did throughout the season. Hell, I don't even think it's unfair to argue that RVP and Ade's poor showings this season can at least be partially attributed to Cesc's dip in form. There's also the whole argument that Cesc can't operate without a Flamster/Bert, and that's also fair. The bottom line is that the dip in midfield/striker form is a complicated issue and I believe it's totally unfair to pinpoint it on one single variable.

I'll devote a paragraph to our entire back line, including manny. We'll start with Manny. Frankly, he's been great. Before the season I personally thought he was distinctly average: he wasn't going to win any games, but he probably wouldn't lose us too many games. Today's follies aside, he's probably been our best performer. In terms of the rest of the defense, it's been partially a letdown. Gallas was performing damn good post-captaincy, and I think we missed him a lot down the stretch. Toure had a piss poor two thirds of the season, but he's slowly coming back to life. I think we'll see a "Toure Renaissance" next season. As a CB pairing, we didn't see them together too often, and it's been analyzed to death already, so i'll just leave it at that. Our fullbacks have been mediocre all season. Sagna has been better than Clichy, but they're just not playing with as much fire defensively as they did last season. Offensively, they're both crap and I think Wenger needs to reconsider the role of the fullback in our offensive scheme. More on that in a bit.

I'll begin my transition between individual players and tactics by discussing the influence of Arshavin. To put it bluntly, he may have saved our season. It's hard to say for sure that we may have been vulnerable for fifth just because Villa's been so poor since February or so, but I think he's solely responsible for keeping us afloat. I think his biggest contribution is the way he fits into our tactical setup. Pre-Arshavin, we were like a poor man's Spain NT (I actually think today's game is a perfect example of what i'm talking about). In a way it's similar to 2007-2008 in the sense that in ideal circumstances it's a possession game where our players are allotted a lot of time on the ball- pace in urgency basically plays second fiddle to holding on the ball. The problem with the pre-arshavin setup is that we lack the brilliance to play that kind of game. Guys like Flamini, Hleb, and Rosicky can play that style of play(Flamini less so, but he doesn't really play a dictating role like Hleb/Cesc/Rosicky played), but Theo, Denilson, Diaby, and (for now) Nasri can't. Arshavin is like the Anti-"Fabreball" in the sense that he's direct, he attacks with urgency, direction, and pace, and he makes chances.

The signing of Arshavin has basically led me to a few conclusions about our squad's tactical setup. 1) we need to re-think our wide setup. The only player who can cross the ball is Arshavin; while Sagna, Theo, and Clichy flat out can't. They just can't. What's problematic is the fact that how many opportunities these three get to cross the ball. Aside from Ade and Bendtner, we don't really have any aerial threats in the box- and both of them are erratic, to say the least. I'm not suggesting that we stop crossing the ball, but I think it'd be beneficial to play a more narrow game.
2) we need to up the tempo. We have a fair amount of pace on this squad, as guys like Ade, Theo, Arshavin, and even Nasri are all quick players. The thing about our passing style is that we don't utilize that at all. We do at times(Villarreal at home I think is a good example), but not enough. We're usually extremely slow getting down the pitch, and I think a lot of it is attributed to this quasi-casual passing style we employ.

On to Wenger. First of all, i'm not going to be drawn into the whole "sack Wenger" thing, because it's fruitless and won't happen. If anything, this season that Wenger still has it as a manager, but he's fallen off, and he's hanging by a thread at the edge. The positives: his purchases. Nasri will come good in a couple years, and Arshavin, well, yeah. He's Arshavin. The Arshavin signing alone demonstrates that Wenger knows who to buy- this will always be his biggest asset. The negatives? Well, there's a ton. Hell, let's talk about his non-signings. Not properly replacing flamini was an absolute disaster, we could have used a couple additional signings to bolster the squad. If he EVER wants to win trophies at Arsenal again, he needs to make more Arshavin-type signings. That's the absolute bottom line. Tactically it was a nightmare, and there's no need to go into that right now, other than the fact that it played a HUGE cause in this season's shortcomings. There's so much to say about Wenger that has already been said, and I think it's pointless to talk about in any more detail than has already been discussed. I'll leave it at this: Wenger needs to spent the summer thinking about the way he runs the squad- this includes matters both on and off the pitch.

In terms of the way the club has run, this has been the most promising season in a while. I think the emergence of Kroenke will prove to be a HUGE asset to the squad. Gazidis is crucial as well. He seems to be infusing a new sense of urgency within the board, something we haven't seen since dein. I think we still need a few more personal in the upper levels of management, especially a person or two to take on some of the duties Arsène has assumed.

All in all it's been one of the most disappointing seasons in a while. There's a LOT I didn't cover here, but I feel like this'll be enough for a good discussion on the ins and outs of this season. Although a complete overhaul of the squad probably isn't needed, I do think it's time to clear out some of the dead wood and infuse new life into this team.

kamikaze80

Established Member
locked, season's not even over yet (though i know it is, for all intents and purposes). will re-open when season is over.

Goonereagle

Gotta say, dude, you just about nailed everything. I will add, Almunia was our most consistent player, and continues to improve, but I still think we can do better, but if he has a better defence ahead of him, who knows?

And, though Gallas and Toure began to work, I'd prefer a tall, no nonsense centre back to partner one of them. A positive is surely Sagna and Clichy will be be back to being the best two full backs in the prem next season.

And yes, Super Shava came to our rescue.

xcdude24

Established Member
by the way, I mainly posted this to see how everyone else reviewed this year. We're all rather familiar with each others' opinions, but it'd be nice to see some concise statements on what everyone thinks.

Biggus

Established Member
Okay you asked for it.....

Wenger killed us (copyright James 2009)....All the problems have been pinpointed by 99% of us Wenger supporters and Wenger skeptics alike, so I'm sure he knows too.

* He let experienced players go, It's all about and comes down to money in the end. I'm convinced Flamini would have stayed if his demands were met and/or he was awarded the captaincy. Hleb was replaced but not Flamini, Gilberto & Lehmann (at the start of the season at least while Al was still finding his feet).

* He gave the captaincy to Gallas which precipitated the exit of Gilberto....We know how that turned out.

* His increasingly bizarre selections were a desperate attempt to find a system that would minimise the obvious lack of class and experience of the available players.....We know how that turned out.

His job should be to manage the team to win trophies, there are others whose job it is to worry about the financial side of the club.
If money was not made available, Wenger should have demanded that it was or he would walk. Wenger is club accountant first and team manager second, he should place the interests of the team first and foremost to the exclusion of all else.

Goonereagle

I think you could say Wenger's faith killed us. He may have finally over-stepped his mark on faith in youth. Wenger--like us all--loves to see younger players come through and command take over from the old guard. Song, Denilson and Diaby were supposed to do that, unfortunately never replacing Flamini/Gilberto.

*Faith in Almunia (who is improving, but we need better). That said, Almunia could improve even more for next season.

*Then there is faith that Gallas would project his "winners" mentality to the younger players. Again, that is a fair shout, but it never pulled off.

*Also, faith that Rosicky would be fit, and that Ade, (Theo to some extent) Sagna and Clichy would have improved even more to be seen as experienced, to help the youngens. Again, never quite happened.

On the financial scene, Wenger stated about a year or more ago that we'd have to keep sellin' big players, and that money is a problem. Hleb said in an interview that money is stopping players staying, but I hope he regrets his move--I felt embarrassed for him, as he played in Barca's B team and lost at the weekend.

If we spend big money and have to keep sellin' to get money back then that would effect the teams continuity; but I think Wenger has the backing this season, and the suits on the board will loosen up the grip on their pockets.

*By the way, not a rebuttle, Mr Biggus, I agree with most--if not all of what you said.

Feanor

Established Member
This was the year the bloom came off the Wenger rose. He had total power and he totally ****ed up and we ended up with **** in hand. I think the biggest addition this off season will not be a player, it will be Gazidis. Wenger needs to concentrate on Football, not finance, that's not his ****ing problem. All we heard was that we couldn't compete with the big boys without a real stadium, now we have the stadium and the highest ticket prices in the land, shut the **** up and win some god damn tropies!...I'm still angry about this season, I'm going to be a lot angrier if ****ing Manure win the CL tomorrow...again!

I was not a big fan of Matthieu "the peasant" Flamini but I think he may have the biggest mistake of this past season. The fact that he was not adequately replaced, which honestly I did not think would be that hard but Wenger didn't even try to replace, he really thought, one of Denilson, Sond or Diaby would step up, I guess?

I think if we sign a Backfield general and a ball winner/DM in midfield we will be fine, as long we don't lose any starters, as much as I'm fed up with Ade, I still think we should not sell him. We do not need to destabilize the team, just add a couple of players.

Top Bottom