• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2008/2009 Fixtures

GUNNERS4L1FE

Established Member
go49oner said:
Imagine we win the league at Stamford bridge of old Trafford ...*time to stop dreaming*, Just noticed we got both Bolton and Blackburn away in succession

What happened to Jan 1st fixtures?

Something to do with January 1st being a Thursday and the FA Cup always being played on the first Saturday of January.

vin de guerre

JazzG said:
We also need a build a lead up over Man utd here because nearly all their tricky away games are in the first half of the season so they are gonna build up a head of steam in the 2nd half. And we have the hardest run in by miles so we better hope we have some kind of a lead going into that.

Out of the Top 4 we have the worst set of fixtures imo.

I do have a feeling that we will be out of sight by Christmas! That is what Christmas is for!

I do have a feeling that the coming season will be a ver Arsenal season and we will see the coming of age of a very special team!

Am I optimistic or what? Just bring it on :evil: :twisted:
:bounce :bounce

Kenyonhater

Chelsea and ManU in May? It's a fix. No way is that random.

This is the run of fixtures we have after our Champions League games:-

Matchday 1 : Away to Bolton
Matchday 2 : Away to Sunderland
Matchday 3 : Away to West Ham
Matchday 4 : Home to Man Utd
Matchday 5 : Away to Chelsea
Matchday 6 : Away to Middlesbrough

Last 16 L1 : Home to Fulham
Last 16 L2 : Home to Blackburn
Q Final L1 : Away to Wigan
Q Final L2 : Away to Liverpool
S Final L1 : Away to Portsmouth
S Final L2 : Home to Chelsea

That's fair, then.

Wenger14

Established Member
Saturday, 08 November 2008
Arsenal v Man Utd, 15:00
Arsenal v Aston Villa, 15:00
Man City v Arsenal, 15:00
Chelsea v Arsenal, 15:00
Arsenal v Wigan, 15:00
Middlesbrough v Arsenal, 15:00
Arsenal v Liverpool, 15:00
Aston Villa v Arsenal, 15:00
That's a tough run of games. Only the Wigan game looks relatively easy on paper.

True Gooner

Established Member
I hate Nov-Dec, that looks like a very tricky set of fixtures - apart from the big four we have 'Boro away (whom we havent beaten in years), Man City (who could well be a difficult side to break down next season) and Aston Villa x 2

Pádraig

We would have to pick up every possible point before November & Decemeber to give ourselves a bit of breathing room as we're bound to drop a few points in those two months.

Final straight is also very tough and we can only hope that we will hit form at the right time!

Wenger14

Established Member
Just seen United's fixtures. Their run in looks very easy, which means we'll have to wrap up the title as early as possible. Anfield away (April 18th) with 5 games to spare, anyone? Although winning the title at OT would be brilliant as well. We're truly spoilt for choice, aren't we? ;)

air

There's nothing I hate as much as fixture lists. No, wait, yes there is. Someone adding how many points we will pick up from each game. I blame all those people when we lose.

November and December do look tough though. The past season we had a tough December but we won four, drew two and lost one if I remember right. Only we lost the plot later, so I don't pay an awful lot of attention to fixture lists, especially as I think we aren't a team that wins when playing badly. We just need to play our best..... am I being a bit obvious?

Herbert Chapman

I'm guessing, if we can build up enough momentum early on, we can use it to push through our last 3 games so I'm happy to have chavs and Mancs right near the end.

If the English teams do well in the CL again, the last few weeks could be crazy, so the one thing that pisses me off is that Chavs & mancs are both away fixtures.

No different to how United won it this year though, so bring it on.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Any reason why the first NLD is scheduled for a Tuesday?

Rahul

Any chance of the Anfield fixture being played on the 26th of May? :wink:

Well ill settle or OT'09 or Stamford Bridgr'09 then.... 8))

Anzac

Established Member
F365 say that we have a bad month in November, as well as another test in May. They've also highlighted that we have Away matches after CL fixtures, as does ManU. Of the Big 4 they've highlighted that neither LFC or CFC have a difficult period with an even spread throughout.

We have the easier draw at the begining of the season and are expected to be high flyers going into Christmas. Potentially on paper it looks set for a repeat of last season.

AFCG7

Established Member
Wenger will look at those fixtures and say to himself - "excellent! We dont need new signings.. if anything we can wait until January and see what happens" -

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
Players will get tired coming up to christmas, we dropped a few during that spell v boro, pompey and against brum at home in jan due to player fatigue

Theres a lot of positives to take from last season If wenger even attempts to think like that, then wait until we get to the business end of the season in 08/09. It will be the same pattern all over again

Again. Great fixtures, we travel to Ewood and The Reebok in the summer when theyre pitch surfaces will be nice, theyll play good football which is exactly what we want instead of getting them in a cold rainy night during the christmas or final third of season

Anzac

Established Member
IMO the fixture list follows the same pattern as last season, as such it offers the perfect opportunity for AW to show that he has indeed learnt anything from last season. Not just in regard to transfers, but also re tactics, resting players, players stepping up etc. Last season no one outside the club expected us to do so well (except SAF), next season they will be more prepared & likewise we are already expected to be early season high flyers as LFC were expected to be last season.

November is possibly our 1st real test in the fixture list & comes before the Jan window. IF we see a repeat of last year's 'failings' & the same excuses offered as response, then IMO the criticisms directed towards AW re the past few seasons will have been completely jusitifed & I'd expect to see more contract renegotiations in an attempt to retain players, more serious money being thrown at players to leave, and more departures from the senior squad & even including some of the 'fringe' / 'development' players.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
OK Anzac; don't stare too hard at that crystal ball mate, you'll go blind don't ya know? :lol:

PS I won't be laughing if your prophesying does come true though :(

regele

Established Member
AFCG7 said:
Wenger will look at those fixtures and say to himself - "excellent! We dont need new signings.. if anything we can wait until January and see what happens" -
The best case scenario is that we're first going into January and in that case he'll say the squad is big enough as he did this season; I hope he finishes up the business in the summer.

number_0

Established Member
Kraig said:
so we have newcastle at home the day i get married. i suppose ill just have to watch match of the day...

Congragulation in advance, a nasri brace will be my wedding gift.

number_0

Established Member
Good we start the season at home, weve been lucky in that respect, i am pissed that we play in SB so late in the season, because i am confident we can shatter their home record if we play them early in the season, i guess they will go another 20 games unbeaten there then.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom