• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2009 - what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qs

Established Member
I'd try and swap Gallas with someone. Maybe Marsielle would give us Cana for him. I'd try and sign a centre half with Premiership experience that isn't cup tied and can be a main stay in the team for the next 3 years minimum. Someone like Dunne, Upson, Laursen, Lescott. I'd like to see another winger come in to. Doesn't need to be anyone too amazing just solid back up.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
HAHAHAHA. Nice one TG. I didn't notice Eboue not being there.

ricky1985

Established Member
What about Curtis Davies?

It has just suddenly dawned on me. He is absolutely perfect for us. London lad, brave as a soldier, hard as nails, extremely quick, brilliant in the air, captain of Luton and West Brom in his teens.

What more could we want?

JazzG

Established Member
oasis_gooner said:
You're looking in the region of 30-40 million pounds to get those 4 players for the designated positions. Highly improbable given the current economic climate and Wenger's frugal spending. At best, Wenger may get a midfielder next summer.

Highly improbable? There is no chance what I've said is going to happen and that is why we won't win the league anytime soon either.

kamikaze80

Established Member
looking at the suggestions in here, i'm glad wenger is manager and not one of us. most of these posts are either unbelievably bad or have no basis in reality. so things could be worse, i suppose.

famous no 10

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
looking at the suggestions in here, i'm glad wenger is manager and not one of us. most of these posts are either unbelievably bad or have no basis in reality. so things could be worse, i suppose.

You're just upset you wasn't picked for the A-M team.

hackajack

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
What about Curtis Davies?

It has just suddenly dawned on me. He is absolutely perfect for us. London lad, brave as a soldier, hard as nails, extremely quick, brilliant in the air, captain of Luton and West Brom in his teens.

What more could we want?
He was brilliant against us a coouple of seasons back for WBA but he seems to have gone backwards to me.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Cesc cannot play in a 4-4-2. Would play a diamond with a proper dm or 4-5-1 again with a dm with Cesc one of the two cms.

Anzac

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
@ Anzac.

Why do you think Wenger sends our team out there with the hand brake on?

What first team players would dispose of in January then?

I've respoded to the first point in the Real Arsenal thread - but basically IMO it's a by product of the short pass to man style, whereas I'd prefer they look to exploit space on & off the ball as the kids do.

As for the 2nd point - I'd not have anyone targeted to dispose of now - IMO the system (style, formation & tactics)is as much the problem as the players. I'd look to change our style to better suit our current resources, and re-evaluate players in regard to the new system as well as the old. Any 'surplus' would be determined by what system best suited the squad & who didn't fit etc.

My aim for the squad size would be that the developing players would take the last 2 positions on the bench; the starting XI are basically the finished / experienced product & playing in their preferred / designated roles (as opposed to the Walcott, Eboue, Diaby, Denilson, Song experiments); at worst I'd only want 1 developing & 1 cover player on the pitch at any given time.

My style would be to attack, my tactics would be to score early - to hit them hard & fast, and then to take the pace out of the game & play possession passing football - make then chanse the game & the ball & to hit them on the counter. Then I'd look at earlier subs to rotate players & give the kids a go etc. I'd also look at horses for courses in regard to matches, and I'd also want at least 1 player in the attack who is capable of running at defenders with the ball at their feet - Vela / Wilshere type.

Key positions for me are:
GK, CB, MCd, attacking wide player - however we do have options within the squad both in regard to players & formations & style that can address these issues until the summer, as opposed to spending good money in a knee jerk reaction in January. GK - Fabianski, CB - Djourou, MCd - 3 man midfield or a Diamond midfield, wide player - Wilshere / Vela.

IMO it is important to explore ALL options at your disposal, including a change of system, before running off to spend money in a compromised market when your real targets could more likely be available in the summer - why waste good money after bad?????

progman07

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Cesc cannot play in a 4-4-2. Would play a diamond with a proper dm or 4-5-1 again with a dm with Cesc one of the two cms.
I don't think Cesc's form is defined by the formation. It is all about the players surrounding him.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
patrick42uk said:
Yep fully agree assumimg the 4-4-2 is with us.

Problem with our preferred options is that Wenger likes his midfield flattish (and playerish ;) ), midfield depth in his teams mainly came/comes from movement in the length of the pitch not from depth in the positions.

A diamond is not his cup of tea (we DO have the fullbacks, who could play it), so I'm hoping for the out & out defensive mid in 4-1-4-1. It's the obvious choice imo. Our current midfield do not cover eachother as well as last season's, so let's dedicate somebody to giving cover: a DMF.

Anzac

Established Member
patrick42uk said:

That being the case then I'd rather play 433 or a variant thereof. We have how many striker options & we're contemplating only starting with a lone striker????

IMO our tendancy is to deplete our attack options to compensate for our midfield & defence, as opposed to looking at changing the system we play. Further to this the 5 man midfield is NOT working - it's not doing anything that AW has stated as the purpose for doing so - it's still not providing adequate cover for the CBs and it's still not strengthening the middle - the closest we get is in the 4141 not the 451.

We are a club & Manager that is supposedly about playing attacking football - while I agree that you can do so with a lone striker formation, IMO we have neither the style nor the players to do so in any of the aforementioned formations. For me this team thrives on having depth across the field = passing targets. As such the least number of players in attack for me is 2 - one up front & one in the hole - preferably this means 2 strikers & not Diaby as a starting option in that role, unless we were playing an AMC & 2 strikers.

Anzac

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
patrick42uk said:
Yep fully agree assumimg the 4-4-2 is with us.

Problem with our preferred options is that Wenger likes his midfield flattish (and playerish ;) ), midfield depth in his teams mainly came/comes from movement in the length of the pitch not from depth in the positions.

A diamond is not his cup of tea (we DO have the fullbacks, who could play it), so I'm hoping for the out & out defensive mid in 4-1-4-1. It's the obvious choice imo. Our current midfield do not cover eachother as well as last season's, so let's dedicate somebody to giving cover: a DMF.

If that's the case then play Song in the DM role, and leave Cesc & Denilson to support the attack.

clockwork orange

It's an option. My problem with that is that I don't think Song is good enough. Also think Nasri could be Cesc's partner too (in stead of Denilson). Would rather see that because I expect more synergy between Cesc & Nasri than what we've seen so far between Cesc & Denilson.

Anzac

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
It's an option. My problem with that is that I don't think Song is good enough. Also think Nasri could be Cesc's partner too (in stead of Denilson). Would rather see that because I expect more synergy between Cesc & Nasri than what we've seen so far between Cesc & Denilson.

I think Song could do the job but in a very limited capacity. He'd need strict instructions in regard to not moving forward to support the attack & would need to be parked in the hole. IMO the problem with the 3 man midfield v Sunderland was that it was 2 MCs & an AMC - should have been a DMC & 2 MCs going forward.

Agreed re Nasri-Cesc as an MC combo, but that you need a DMC behind them to allow them to concentrate on what they do best - I'd not want to use it in an 2 man central midfield combo.

clockwork orange

yep that's what I mean

--------------back 4----------
---------------DMF------------
--------Cesc-------Nasri------
-----------------*----------------

Anzac

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
yep that's what I mean

--------------back 4----------
---------------DMF------------
--------Cesc-------Nasri------
-----------------*----------------

so long as we used genuine attacking players on the flanks, and at least 1 of them was a goal scorer - not 2 provider types or 2 make shift like Eboue / Diaby / Denilson / Ramsey - I want 3 goals scoring attackers up front - Eduardo / RVP / Theo / Vela / Wilshere, Ade / Nik in the middle & strict instructions to stay in the middle & not go wide, unless the flank player has gone infield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom