• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2017/18 Surprise Story?

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Which of our current crop do we fancy to have an exceptional season? This can be a youngster or seasoned vet.. which (unlikely) player do reckon could be a pleasant surprise?

Take away the key players (Özil, Alexis, Kos, Nacho etc.), I'd like to know who we all secretly believe will have a brilliant season.

I'm torn between Giroud and Elneny. Why? Here's why...

Olivier Giroud

Olivier-Giroud-Football365.jpg

Giroud is very much expected to be a plan B for the upcoming season, and tbf, there's few better off the bench around- particularly in the PL. But Giroud is looking better than ever to me IMO, reminds me a bit of Drogba in terms of peaking in his supposed twilight years.

Of course, Oli is still in his pomp, but he looks fitter, sharper, and much more clinical for both club and country. I think he could go up a level this season.

I do like the idea of a Lacazette and Giroud linkup.

Mohamed Elneny

elneny_main.jpg

Expected to be nothing more than a job-doer, and he could in fact be just that. But I'm liking how he's looked in pre-season. Much more decisive on the ball and that engine of his has no give. I think he's a confidence player, if he starts getting decent numbers he'll go from strength to strength.

I'd like him toughen up a bit, with Rambo's dodgy hamstring/calf muscles there's a chance for him to nail down a starting spot. He seems at his best next to Xhaka too...

Thoughts?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Giroud is always going to score goals but I expect Lacaz to do well, and that will cut down on Girouds mins.

Elneny I completely agree. I've always liked him and never knocked him when he's played in the middle. He does what is expected and he does it well, even if he does get stick for be boring. If he ends up with a run in the side due to Ramsey being out, I can see him being hard to shift. He also has a good shot on him, at some point they may start going in.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
I can agree with the Giroud and potentially Elneny. I would love for both to be a success, especially Giroud as you can see how much he rally loves Arsenal.

I am going out on a limb here but BFG Per? He's looked sharp and I think he will be fine as long as he is playing once a week - also, this is his last season so I think he will give his all.

Another player, this is a HUGE gamble lol but Jack? If we can rotate him properly and have him protected by Kolasinac (another player who is going to be huge) along with Xhaka then why not play him once a week. Plus he seems to always have a good chemistry with Rambo and Giroud.

Welbeck - this guy is just so quick and I get excited when he is on the field as you literally have no idea what he might pull of LOL.

AND lastly,

I have been saying this since God knows when and I HOPE to God this is the year of........THE OX! - pure strength and speed - I feel the whole crowd knows there is something special in him and this may be the season he explodes - PLEASE GOD!

OH and Iwobi - why? Cuz if Alexis doesn't perform BENCH HIM and give Iwobi his shot - he's looked sharp in pre-season and hungry.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I agree with TGG's two picks.

I think I'll go for Iwobi to really push Özil to the limit for a starting spot. I think Iwobi could play so well that Wenger could end up simply dropping Özil in favour of Iwobi in some games.

To a lesser extent I think Gabriel could play a lot of games if he doesn't leave this summer as he played quite well for a few games in the back 3 towards the end of last season. While I also have faith Welbz will play an important role this season too, not that he'd get the credit for it anyways.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Giroud and Drogba in the same sentence?
are you having a laugh?

Drogba was a physical monster, it is like comparing an 8 year old vs a 18 year old. Drogba would take Girouds lunchmoney every day
Drogba had a keen footballing brain to

Ewarwoowar

Yes front two of Laca Giroud against parked buses(what we've always struggled with) I think will pay dividends, in the melee Laca will have the wiles that others of our players don't have(except for Sanchez) to cotton on to Giroud's backheels and flicks, I also see Laca has precision to thread some nice balls through traffic for Giroud too.

I also think Elneny given the chance will blow some tiny little minds with His dynamism, I think He has more to offer than what He has already shown. Some people settle quickly, some take time to mature, like fine wine.

Ox has got it, time to turn potential into something tangible, barring injuries, this will be His year, no doubt.

Welbeck wont get CF unless it against some Europa side from outer Mongolia, but will chip in with goals I am sure, also great against parked buses, battering ram with power and pace, opens up space for others.

My head is hurting with possibilities, I could go on but really really want the team as a team, just felt in recent times there are cliques, the camaraderie not so good, Wengerball is a team thing, as a team on song, we wont get tired as everything is efficient, less likely to get injuries because a lot teams wont get near us, I say the team to surprise

Please

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Ox, providing we keep him, will excel at RWB. I also expect Iwobi to have a big impact, he has the tools, he just needs the experience and confidence.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Xhaka, if that's considered a surprise. Expect he'll be getting all the plaudits this season and performances will noticeably decline without him.

Have to go with Wilshere aswell. With the EL starting in September it's should come at the perfect time for him.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

I'm going Mustafi. Couldn't stand him last season but reckon he'll do well this year. Settled in a bit more, can't look any worse than last season and back 3 should help him.
Iwobi is a good shout too. I expect big things from him!

Linson

I'm going Mustafi. Couldn't stand him last season but reckon he'll do well this year. Settled in a bit more, can't look any worse than last season and back 3 should help him.
Iwobi is a good shout too. I expect big things from him!

Mustafi? Really? How could you not stand him? At the start of the season the pundits we saying how amazing he was, bar the first couple of games. I really rate him; strong, fast, aggressive, good in the tackle and in the air... He just needs to work on passing and all that galavanting he likes to do....

Top Bottom