• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2017/18 Surprise Story?

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I actually think Ramsey will surprise and put in a great season again.

Second choice is Reiss Nelson if he gets games behind the striker and Kolasinac at LWB.
I second these picks - and I also think Per might surprise us all - he was injured for so long we forgot what a positive presence he can be, until the Cup Final

Emmanueleboue2

Reiss Nelson, he was playing u-23 game last night against good opponents and he absolutely tore them apart. He made guys like wilshere,Jenkinson and others that have experience make like fools. He started out as RWB and spent second half as an attacker(one of the 2 behind striker) and just wow.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Which of our current crop do we fancy to have an exceptional season? This can be a youngster or seasoned vet.. which (unlikely) player do reckon could be a pleasant surprise?

Take away the key players (Özil, Alexis, Kos, Nacho etc.), I'd like to know who we all secretly believe will have a brilliant season.

I'm torn between Giroud and Elneny. Why? Here's why...

Olivier Giroud

Olivier-Giroud-Football365.jpg

Giroud is very much expected to be a plan B for the upcoming season, and tbf, there's few better off the bench around- particularly in the PL. But Giroud is looking better than ever to me IMO, reminds me a bit of Drogba in terms of peaking in his supposed twilight years.

Of course, Oli is still in his pomp, but he looks fitter, sharper, and much more clinical for both club and country. I think he could go up a level this season.

I do like the idea of a Lacazette and Giroud linkup.

Mohamed Elneny

elneny_main.jpg

Expected to be nothing more than a job-doer, and he could in fact be just that. But I'm liking how he's looked in pre-season. Much more decisive on the ball and that engine of his has no give. I think he's a confidence player, if he starts getting decent numbers he'll go from strength to strength.

I'd like him toughen up a bit, with Rambo's dodgy hamstring/calf muscles there's a chance for him to nail down a starting spot. He seems at his best next to Xhaka too...

Thoughts?
Anyone who's not injured.

And if it's Ramsey, Welbeck, Kos, Santi, Coq, Per, Walcott, Gabriel, Ox, Wilshere . . . . that'll be the biggest 'Surprise Story' of all.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Our midfield duo of Xhaka and Ramsey, so long as injuries and bad refereeing don't interfere...

...which they will, so nevermind :rolleyes:

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

At least Giroud as a better game to goal ratio to the PL. Drogba: 104 goal in 254 games (0.40) and Giroud: 69 goals in 164 games. (0.42). Drogba had one monster season, or maybe two. Giroud is no Suarez or Ronaldo, and can have his dry spells, but offers a lot to the team and has a knack of popping up with late winners. Gets too much stick around here.

From the bottom of my heart, thanks for this stat. Now all of my mates will have to bask in my statistical knowledge as I inform them of what we have always known, but been reluctant to publicly express.

Giroud > Drogba.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Anyone picking Mustafi must be thinking he's had enough time now to see what the the PL is all about and to pick the brains of Kos and Per. The truth is he's had enough time now and this has to be his moment or you feel it never will be.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Anyone who's not injured.

And if it's Ramsey, Welbeck, Kos, Santi, Coq, Per, Walcott, Gabriel, Ox, Wilshere . . . . that'll be the biggest 'Surprise Story' of all.
If you had balls you'd have said Wenger might be the surprise package... But deep down we both know you're faithless and angling to pull your willie from his bottom :D

BobP

Memri Fan
Anyone picking Mustafi must be thinking he's had enough time now to see what the the PL is all about and to pick the brains of Kos and Per. The truth is he's had enough time now and this has to be his moment or you feel it never will be.

Eh, Mustafi wasn't too bad last season. Performed well in the first half and then there were rumours that he was involved in a serious car accident and he wasn't really given a chance to sit out for a while.

His bad form coincided with a team wide slump as well. Then he was injured for a while as well.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Lacazette? We've spent a lot on him, but I expect him to be better than we assume. Think he'll bag around 30 goals(all comps).

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Eh, Mustafi wasn't too bad last season. Performed well in the first half and then there were rumours that he was involved in a serious car accident and he wasn't really given a chance to sit out for a while.

His bad form coincided with a team wide slump as well. Then he was injured for a while as well.
Whatever the reasons or excuses, he hasn't had a good Arsenal career so far. He doesn't even make the first eleven in the eyes of a lot of fans.

BobP

Memri Fan
Whatever the reasons or excuses, he hasn't had a good Arsenal career so far. He doesn't even make the first eleven in the eyes of a lot of fans.

Well those fans are stupid.

Wasn't long ago that people we're fawning over him because we went a period where we wouldn't lose with him in the squad.

Furthermore, the way Wenger sets the team up has seen many defenders look like complete fools.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
What? We went unbeaten for 22 games with him. That is pretty good going for the first ever season he has been in the league. The player is also. He's also only 25. For a CB that is still fairly young.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot he played for Everton. Not his first season in the league. But it has been a while and the league has changed some what

Latest posts

Top Bottom