• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2018 FIFA World Cup Draw-15:00 GMT

Aevi

Hale End FC
Belgium under Bobby Martinez has unlimited choking potential.

Can see England dealing with them comfortably. I reckon the other two will be the tough ones actually, England seem to love playing down to their opposition in major tournies.
That's the issue isn't it. With Hazard, De Bruyne, Mertens, and Lukaku we have the best attack of any nation imo (even the French and Brazilians), and the rest of the team is pretty solid too if they're all fit. Martinez has made very questionable decisions in the qualifying stages already though, so I'm very cautiously optimistic. We're Arsenal-esque I feel, loads of potential yet often unconvincing

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Panama are no threat. I can see Belgium imploding and England winning the group before losing another quarter-final to Brazil.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
That's the issue isn't it. With Hazard, De Bruyne, Mertens, and Lukaku we have the best attack of any nation imo (even the French and Brazilians), and the rest of the team is pretty solid too if they're all fit. Martinez has made very questionable decisions in the qualifying stages already though, so I'm very cautiously optimistic. We're Arsenal-esque I feel, loads of potential yet often unconvincing

I'd take Messi, Aguero, Dybala and Di Maria over that bunch tbf, but you're right, it is elite for sure, easily the best in Europe at least.

Reckon Germany's attack is sneaky good as well. Their creative engine is unreal with Özil and Kroos, and their attackers have unreal pace assuming they play both Sane and Werner.

Meanwhile, we have Bendtner.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I'd take Messi, Aguero, Dybala and Di Maria over that bunch tbf, but you're right, it is elite for sure, easily the best in Europe at least.

Reckon Germany's attack is sneaky good as well. Their creative engine is unreal with Özil and Kroos, and their attackers have unreal pace assuming they play both Sane and Werner.

Meanwhile, we have Bendtner.
Argentina is a good shout tbf, very tough call between them and Belgium. With Germany though I think you can match their attackers like for like with Belgium's and the latter comes out stronger (Hazard > Sane, De Bruyne = Özil, Lukaku >= Werner, Mertens > Draxler). Germany have a more balanced squad and greater manager though.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
I would put Germany behind France and Brazil.Don't get me wrong,they have great system and talents they produce will always make them competitive,but there is no Klose,Lahm,Basti.Those players could make difference in previous competitions.But you never know,they have winning mentality all day long.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Think people are sleeping on Spain, they were very good in the qualifiers and Isco is untouchable right now. They still have guys like Ramos, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Silva, etc in the squad that know how to win these type of tournaments. Also there's the very talented Asensio who could be a really shining star at the world cup.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Amazing that when we're drawn in a world cup opener its finally one where we're not completely outmatched. Having said that Russia should still be favorites.

Hopefully the camera men assigned to group B focus as much on the stands as they do on the field of play :drool:.

If England qualify, they will most likely play either Colombia or Poland. Both teams would be difficult for them. Could go either way. Same with Belgium. That bit of the draw is quite unpredictable. I'd love to see England v Poland and Belgium v Colombia.

Wow just realised so many decent teams missing from this world cup.
Like who? What qualifies as "so many"? I can only think of Italy and the Netherlands. I think of Chile only because of Alexis. Can't think of any other decent teams missing.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Think people are sleeping on Spain, they were very good in the qualifiers and Isco is untouchable right now. They still have guys like Ramos, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Silva, etc in the squad that know how to win these type of tournaments. Also there's the very talented Asensio who could be a really shining star at the world cup.

Completely agree, there's a young core coming through right now that looks hungry and is immensely talented. Asensio, Isco, Saul, Koke, Morata etc. Their midfield is easily on par with some of the best, especially if you include the wingers.

It's going to be a good WC I reckon. It's very much the first test for a new generation of players for so many teams. The teams that looked promising 4 years ago now have those players in the peaks of their careers. Belgium especially has improved immensely talent wise, players like Lukaku, De Bruyne and even Mertens weren't nearly as good then as they are now.

Ironically it's gone the opposite way for England somehow. The squad is now filled with mediocre players who didn't live up to their potential 4 years ago. At least you have a couple of players capable of doing the business against the best in Alli, Sterling and Kane, but the midfield as a whole is just painful.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
I would put Germany behind France and Brazil.Don't get me wrong,they have great system and talents they produce will always make them competitive,but there is no Klose,Lahm,Basti.Those players could make difference in previous competitions.But you never know,they have winning mentality all day long.
I think they’ve still got ‘it,’ and in spades — their B team won the Confed. Stars of yester-year have been adequately replaced, in my book ...both in skill and mentality.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Completely agree, there's a young core coming through right now that looks hungry and is immensely talented. Asensio, Isco, Saul, Koke, Morata etc. Their midfield is easily on par with some of the best, especially if you include the wingers.

It's going to be a good WC I reckon. It's very much the first test for a new generation of players for so many teams. The teams that looked promising 4 years ago now have those players in the peaks of their careers. Belgium especially has improved immensely talent wise, players like Lukaku, De Bruyne and even Mertens weren't nearly as good then as they are now.

Ironically it's gone the opposite way for England somehow. The squad is now filled with mediocre players who didn't live up to their potential 4 years ago. At least you have a couple of players capable of doing the business against the best in Alli, Sterling and Kane, but the midfield as a whole is just painful.
Whenever we mention Wilshere's name, fans of other clubs often dismiss it as bias, but he needs to make the squad and he needs to start if you lot want to give the World Cup a proper go. He'll need to play some Prem games and put in a couple of good displays for us first to "prove" himself, but if he does he's a no-brainer starter for England imo. Dier-Henderson is ridiculously stale.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Argentina scored only 19 goals in 18 games (2nd worst number) in the qualification for the WC, they have world-class names, but zero chemistry somehow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom