• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Interesting discussion from a woman's point of view - you do all know though, I hope, that women are paid less than men for doing the same job in just about every field, so getting on some high horse about women footballers being paid the same as men is not only millions short of the truth, but very ignorant of the way of the world.

As for the football, think about gymnastics - one sport but different skills on show by men and women, and both equally worthy.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Interesting discussion from a woman's point of view - you do all know though, I hope, that women are paid less than men for doing the same job in just about every field, so getting on some high horse about women footballers being paid the same as men is not only millions short of the truth, but very ignorant of the way of the world.

As for the football, think about gymnastics - one sport but different skills on show by men and women, and both equally worthy.
Women being paid less than men for the same job is wrong. the discussion here, for me, was about fake equivalences. Everything is not as valid as everything else. Dan Brown isn't Shakespeare.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Women being paid less than men for the same job is wrong. the discussion here, for me, was about fake equivalences. Everything is not as valid as everything else. Dan Brown isn't Shakespeare.
it's worth a sensible discussion - equal prize money has been an ongoing arguement in tennis for some time, and is more difficult to defend because women play shorter matches at the slams

but in football market forces determine just about every aspect of the game, and the women's game does not attract the same sort of sponsorship or fill grounds as the men, not yet anyway

but I do take issue if the very best women footballers are always going to be seen as inferior to men because that is not comparing like with like - the fact that Serena Williams would lose to Djokovic in a tennis match is meaningless - it is her ability to dominate for many years in the arena she plays in that makes her so superior

SteveEvets

but I do take issue if the very best women footballers are always going to be seen as inferior to men because that is not comparing like with like - the fact that Serena Williams would lose to Djokovic in a tennis match is meaningless - it is her ability to dominate for many years in the arena she plays in that makes her so superior

Why take issue though? The best women athletes will always be inferior to their male counterparts. But not necessarily less valuable, which is an important distinction.

The thing is that the vast majority of normal people ARE comparing like for like - in that they understand, for example that Serena is the best female tennis player ever. It's only the over the top politically correct feminist types who want to remove the 'female' qualifier from the previous sentence. In so doing they are forcing Serena to be judged to an impossible, unfair standard - one in which the only way she comes out on top is if we collectively suspend reality.

Your argument is like saying BATE Borisov is superior to any English team because they've dominated the Belarussian league in a way no English side ever has the PL or First Division. You'd be simultaneously suspending reality and denigrating what a club like BATE have achieved for themselves.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
It's the use of the word 'inferior' that bugs me
It's very derogatory - being unable to prevail physically doesn't make a woman inferior

And I am not an over the top politically correct feminist type - just an ordinary woman who sometimes is very aware I am in a minority on AM

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It's the use of the word 'inferior' that bugs me
It's very derogatory - being unable to prevail physically doesn't make a woman inferior

And I am not an over the top politically correct feminist type - just an ordinary woman who sometimes is very aware I am in a minority on AM
Sport is supported by a paying public who pay for a product. Products can be inferior.

If we take a sport we both like a lot, like Tennis, then the paying public are getting less than they would if they paid to watch men for obvious reasons--I don't have to tell you because you know the game. This is reflected in attendance figures, yet they get the same prize money. I don't know where you stand on that as a tennis fan and not being the politically correct feminist type, but that absurd, right?

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Sport is supported by a paying public who pay for a product. Products can be inferior.

If we take a sport we both like a lot, like Tennis, then the paying public are getting less than they would if they paid to watch men for obvious reasons--I don't have to tell you because you know the game. This is reflected in attendance figures, yet they get the same prize money. I don't know where you stand on that as a tennis fan and not being the politically correct feminist type, but that absurd, right?
I would be all in favour of women playing best of 5 sets, though I believe there is a problem with finding time to fit longer matches into the schedule - though again do singles draws have to start with 128 players? some the early rounds can be very one-sided - and watching Federer demolish some qualifier from Moldova ranked 200 in the world in straight sets would not make me feel I had had great value for money

perhaps it's time for some drastic overhauls in the way tennis is organized

I still maintain though that calling people inferior in any context is wrong, and it reminds me of the nastier elements of eugenics

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Phil Neville’s “Are you ready to win the World Cup?” challenge to his players does not rile Megan Rapinoe. “If you’re at this stage of the tournament and you’re not trying to win the World Cup, I don’t know what the hell you’re doing here,” the USA superstar said in response to his comments.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Anyone actually going to be watching this?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

U.S.A looking so far ahead in the opening 5 minutes, maybe if England can weather the storm then they might get themselves into the game.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

There it is, U.S.A take the lead. Tough seeing how England are gonna get back into this.

Top Bottom