• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

39th Premier League Game

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I don't think the game should be Americanized because people over here fundamentally don't understand it and the game itself is more or less perfect when not being interfered with. If however there's going to be this push by increasing foreign influence within the game then the only thing I could see maybe working, only with input and approval from the players, would be some kind of lower intensity exhibition with say 30 minute halves, maybe in either a North vs South format or a UK vs the Rest of the World format and it should still be held in England with maybe 1 out of 4 years rotating to some other country.

The players would need to be paid extra, participation would be totally voluntary on the part of the players and also left to the discretion of the teams and it would have to come with some kind of compromise in terms of scheduling elsewhere. I don't think that there is any scenario where an official PL fixture should be played abroad. It's stupid when the NFL does it at that toilet stadium and it would be stupid for the PL to do it here like some moronic foreign exchange program.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Why not do a Community Shield tour or make that a preseason tournament? The first couple of rounds could be played abroad with the Final in Wembley. PL Champ and FA Cup winner get a bye round or something.

Not sure how much people care about the Carabao Cup but maybe do that cup final abroad and align it with the start of a winter break or something. I know it's the League Cup but I couldn't tell you who won it this season or the past 5 seasons maybe make it a new tradition and let the FA Cup continue as the de facto "English Cup".

Bucephalus

This would benefit me, and I don't want it. Leave football alone. Play English league matches in England where they belong.
I don't want it either. I've followed Arsenal since 1980, first in Australia, then in the US. I won't even go to a pre-season tour match, because the first time I see them in person, it's going to be in North London.

But on the other hand, it wouldn't be that far out of bounds with football history. Until a relatively recent rule change, if, say Bromley FC drew United at home in the FA Cup, they'd sign a contract and play the game at Old Trafford instead for bigger gate revenues. If (hypothetically) Brentford and Arsenal agreed to play their home and away at an 80,000 seater in NYC with massively inflated American ticket prices, it would be a huge money spinner for Brentford, and less (in relative terms) for Arsenal but a chance to engage with the foreign fanbase. And not really much different than back when you could sell your FA Cup venue rights. (Or, for that matter, that period when we chose to play our CL matches at Wembley instead of Highbury).

Don't want to see it. But there are ways it could be done that wouldn't be the end of the world.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I don't want it either. I've followed Arsenal since 1980, first in Australia, then in the US. I won't even go to a pre-season tour match, because the first time I see them in person, it's going to be in North London.

But on the other hand, it wouldn't be that far out of bounds with football history. Until a relatively recent rule change, if, say Bromley FC drew United at home in the FA Cup, they'd sign a contract and play the game at Old Trafford instead for bigger gate revenues. If (hypothetically) Brentford and Arsenal agreed to play their home and away at an 80,000 seater in NYC with massively inflated American ticket prices, it would be a huge money spinner for Brentford, and less (in relative terms) for Arsenal but a chance to engage with the foreign fanbase. And not really much different than back when you could sell your FA Cup venue rights. (Or, for that matter, that period when we chose to play our CL matches at Wembley instead of Highbury).

Don't want to see it. But there are ways it could be done that wouldn't be the end of the world.
Right but already overworked athletes don't need to travel 3500 miles for a fixture when they're a few miles from each other. I care more about player welfare than a bunch of billionaires making more money by exploiting their workers. I understand it's difficult maybe to think of it in those terms when the exploited parties are millionaires but it is just labor vs corporate on a larger scale and it's wrong to keep piling on fixtures and travel both of which are stressors with no regard for the effects on their well-being.

Last edited:

Macho

North London Forever
Dusted 🔻

Seeing how gassed the fans in US get when Arsenal come around makes me not want to say f*ck that entirely.

Player welfare reasons makes me not like the idea though.

A_G

Lost A Bet
Seeing how gassed the fans in US get when Arsenal come around makes me not want to say f*ck that entirely.

Player welfare reasons makes me not like the idea though.
We might not play in the US though. John Henry’s idea was to spread out the matches all over the world in one day. So there’d be a game in Tokyo, one in Australia, one in Riyadh, multiple in the US etc.

Thrice

Euro 2024 Superbru Champion 🏆
Thing is, this would only be interesting for the big clubs. People in the US won't fill a stadium for Bournemouth against Brentford.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

We might not play in the US though. John Henry’s idea was to spread out the matches all over the world in one day. So there’d be a game in Tokyo, one in Australia, one in Riyadh, multiple in the US etc.
I’ll pistol whip John Henry myself

Bucephalus

Right but already overworked athletes don't need to travel 3500 miles for a fixture when they're a few miles from each other. I care more about player welfare than a bunch of billionaires making more money by exploiting their workers. I understand it's difficult maybe to think of it in those terms when the exploited parties are millionaires but it is just labor vs corporate on a larger scale and it's wrong to keep piling on fixtures and travel both of which are stressors with no regard for the effects on their well-being.
We're literally sponsored by an airline. So that bit can be fixed very easily. Emirates can fix up a plane (carrying both teams) that is business class throughout. Everyone sleeps. We play the game at 10 or 11 in the morning, so there's no jet lag, and American punters can be there at the same time they'd be watching the game on TV anyway.

Again, I'm not asking for it to happen, and I'm opposed to it. But if it's gonna happen (and it probably will), there should be a lot more spit-balling about how to make it practically work.

A_G

Lost A Bet
Thing is, this would only be interesting for the big clubs. People in the US won't fill a stadium for Bournemouth against Brentford.
Fulham vs Brentford got 40,000 for a preseason game in Philadelphia last summer. Brentford vs Brighton in Atlanta got 70,000.

Thrice

Euro 2024 Superbru Champion 🏆
Fulham vs Brentford got 40,000 for a preseason game in Philadelphia last summer. Brentford vs Brighton in Atlanta got 70,000.
Fair enough. Seems I was wrong then.
I probably wouldn't love it if the league does decide to go that route, but I'm not in the "this would be the death of football" boat either. The Premier League has become a global phenomenon and maybe this is just the logical next step.

Reactions: A_G

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Fair enough. Seems I was wrong then.
I probably wouldn't love it if the league does decide to go that route, but I'm not in the "this would be the death of football" boat either. The Premier League has become a global phenomenon and maybe this is just the logical next step.
It would also be a good reason to take a trip to the US especially if the games are in New York or something. Take a trip to see Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty etc etc. When I went to our friendly against Everton in Baltimore, there were seemingly fans from all over the world.

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, July 19

Marseille would offer around £20m for Eddie Nketiah, but it’s likely that Arsenal would ask for more [Alan Nixon - The Sun]

West Ham are frontrunners to sign Reiss Nelson and a fee of £15m-20m could be enough to clinch a deal [Evening Standard]

Inter and Juventus have asked Arsenal about loaning Jakub Kiwior, but the club will only let him leave on a permanent transfer [Goal Poland]

Academy striker Chido Obi-Martin visited Manchester United’s training ground to discuss a move to the club [AcademyScoop]

Crystal Palace are preparing a £30m bid for Emile Smith Rowe [Ed Aarons - The Guardian]

Latest posts

Top Bottom