• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

4-3-3/Diamond

sabret00the

Established Member
Some of you have been asking for it for ages, today we finally saw it, what are your thoughts on us playing it? do we have the players for the system?

Army of Me

Established Member
that was a 4-5-1 if ever i saw one, we had the players for 4-3-3 but they never got into their proper positions. still, at least we're trying something new.

have to admit, it might not work all the time, but stick to what you know Arsène. the last time he tried to change things around we were almost destroyed.

longrufus

Established Member
hard to tell, the most important thing in this system is the midfield, didnt get a true reflection in tonights game with the headless chicken, larsson and hleb. a gilberto, fabregas and hleb partnership would be interesting.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
a 4-5-1 guarantee midfield solidity. I believe with our drop back second striker our 4-4-2 is usually a 4-5-1..at least when bergy plays.

_scorpion_

Established Member
When the right players are used it is the best system....but it does mean we become less attacking and rather than passing the ball around the opposition we would rely on the individual brilliance of players.

MK5

We weren't at our best today but with time I think it could work. It gives Hleb a free role and Henry to move around as he pleases upfront.

A

Anonymous

I think Reyes is more suited to a 4-3-3 but to play the formation to its potential the 3 midfielders must boss the game and this did not happen tonight. The trio of Fabregas Gilberto Hleb may work but I would still rather be bought a defensive powerhouse in the window so Hleb could play more attacking.

Say for example we bought Didier Zokora or a similar style player he would provide a boost to Gilberto as they could work together defending and winning the ball. They would provide protection to either Cesc or Hleb in the playmaker role. The system would be a great option away from home and against tougher teams.

Lehmann
Lauren Sol Toure Cole
Gilberto Fabregas (Hleb) Zokora
and then 3 of Henry, Robin, Reyes, Pires, Freddie, Quincy or even Lupoli up front

I think the 4-3-3 would maximise the players in our squad but I do love 4-4-2 when it works Wenger style.

jmd4211

I don't think the system got a fair viewing tonight....I feel that people are being slightly harsh on the performance in general tonight, and on the young players. Its one thing playing Sunderland, another playing a near full strength Ajax team.

A

Anonymous

Formation is irrelevant until we regain a midfield spine. There is no body without a torso.

Henry -- RVP

Pires-hleb-Cesc-Freddie

Toure/flamini

Senderos/gilbert/eboue-campbell-Lauren

lehmann

14teranga

For a first try it was not bad but will definately need a lot of try-outs before perfection of course.
It was refreshing to see our players putting some deep tacles intead of reciving them as we are used to.

Gurgen

Established Member
I don't think 4-3-3 would be the best system for us, because Henry and RvP are best employed in a 4-4-2. I'd like to see a diamond 4-4-2 though.

----------Jens----------
Lauren Kolo Sol Cash
---[new midfielder]---
Flamini----------Hleb
--------Reyes--------
--RvP--------Henry--

But who are we kidding, we all know Wenger will never change the system.

sabret00the

Established Member
IMO

last night we played or tried to play

----------Jens----------
Eboue Kolo Phil Lauren
--------Larsson-------
Flamini----------Reyes
--------Hleb--------
--Quincy--Henry--

but in reality due to whatever reason it looked like

----------Jens----------
Eboue Kolo Phil Lauren
--Larsson--Flamini--
Quincy----------Reyes
--------Hleb--------
-------Henry-------

so not too far from what you're looking for Gurgen.

Gurgen

Established Member
That reason would be that Quincy wants to receive the ball on the wing and dribble past everyone on the pitch :wink:

sabret00the

Established Member
Gurgen said:
That reason would be that Quincy wants to receive the ball on the wing and dribble past everyone on the pitch :wink:
it's weird you say that, that was the one thing i hoped he'd do to try and settle himself and he never, he tried to be slick and play two touch football. i'm not saying he can't, or shouldn't, but i am saying that your nerves can't be shot if you're gonna try that.

also Quincy's a right winger now, my decisions made, he looked outta sorts (more outta sorts...don't say it, i know) anywhere bar the right wing.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
pha2er said:
that was a 4-5-1 if ever i saw one, we had the players for 4-3-3 but they never got into their proper positions. still, at least we're trying something new.

have to admit, it might not work all the time, but stick to what you know Arsène. the last time he tried to change things around we were almost destroyed.

4-3-3 and 4-5-1 are basicly the same system, i would like a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 now when Cole nad Clichy are gone for a while.

I think we have players for a 3 men forwards line. Reyes and Freddie almost play that game when they are wingers.

When we had Paddy and Gilberto in CM we didn't play a 4-4-2 we played 4-3-3 barca style. Two DM's with Bergkamp behind Henry and Freddie/Pires in free-roles on the wings, that was not a real 4-4-2 like you see England or Sweden play.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Highly Fabregas said:
I think Reyes is more suited to a 4-3-3 but to play the formation to its potential the 3 midfielders must boss the game and this did not happen tonight. The trio of Fabregas Gilberto Hleb may work but I would still rather be bought a defensive powerhouse in the window so Hleb could play more attacking.

I think the 4-3-3 would maximise the players in our squad but I do love 4-4-2 when it works Wenger style.

Gilberto could play like a Makelele role infront of the defence, the best position for him in my eyes, it was like that he played in the 2002 WC that got Wengers eyes on him, I do think that Cesc and Hleb could play together infront of Berto, with Hleb the most attacking of them. Hleb seems to have a good workrate so. Cesc providing the longer balls and the playmaking while Hleb does the trickier stuff upfront. Then RVP and Henry can play more in the box or out on the wings.

I do agree in "I do love 4-4-2 when it works Wenger style." But we don't have that presence in CM any more to allow the wingers to do as they please like they have done before.

Gurgen

Established Member
YeahBee said:
pha2er said:

4-3-3 and 4-5-1 are basicly the same system

No they're not, I wish people would stop saying that. Ever notice the difference between Holland and Chelsea?

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Since most players have no experience with 4-3-3, I would prefer the midfield diamant. Anyway with both systems (assuming 4-3-3 is with midfield pointing backwards) we need a tall dominating player in central (defensive) midfield.

Top Bottom