• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

4-4-2? 4-5-1? 4-3-3?

kanooo

Jameel46 said:
4-4-2

-------------------- Lehmann --------------------

Lauren/Eboue ---- Toure ---- Senderos ---- A. Cole

Hleb ------- Fabregas ----- Gilberto ------- Rosicky

----------------- Reyes --------------------------
---------------------- Henry ---------------------

4-5-1

--------------------- Gilberto --------------------
---------- Fabregas ----------- Rosicky ----------
Hleb ----------------------------------- Ljungberg

4-3-3

------------ Adebayor --------------------- Reyes

Seems like you hate van Persie. :)

Jameel46

Established Member
kanooo said:
Jameel46 said:
4-4-2

----------------- Reyes --------------------------

4-5-1

Hleb ----------------------------------- Ljungberg

4-3-3

------------ Adebayor --------------------- Reyes

Seems like you hate van Persie. :)

forgot, changed it now

Jameel46

Established Member
4-4-2

----------- Adebayor/Van Persie ------------------

4-5-1

Hleb ----------------------------- Reyes/Ljungberg

4-3-3

--------------------- Gilberto ---------------------
---------- Fabregas -------- Rosicky/Ljungberg ----

----------- Adebayor/Van Persie ------------ Reyes

MrHanson

Arnie said:
4-4-2 for easy games, but play 4-5-1 in big games where midfield is always key and we don't want to be out muscled or outnumbered. And if teams like Bolton play that system, play the same so we aren't outnumbered and class, not brutality pays dividends.

Easy away games are you sure? have for forgot our away form last season? we lost to many teams who are regarded as easy. there are no easy away games anymore for arsenal, the so called easy teams are the sides will probably struggle even more against because they combat their inferior technique will physical presence an asset we still lack.

RC8

Established Member
phil15 said:
I think we will go, in certain games, 4-3-3 at home and 4-5-1 away. I think we'll see less of 4-4-2 than in recent years.

based on? We went unbeaten using 4-4-2, we've won the league and FA Cup using 4-4-2. Our failure in the league last year was not because of the formation, it was more related to the determination and chemistry of the team.

JMT

kel varnsen said:
now that we've signed rosicky, the team is pretty much should be a given:

henry-reyes
rosicky-cesc-gilberto-hleb
cole-senderos-toure-eboue
lehmann
Perfect, insted of Reyes...put V.Persie up there

JMT

Spike8 said:
gun4glory said:
We could really pull off a very strong 4-3-3:
Hleb - Gliberto - Cesc
Reyes - RvP/Ade - Henry

---------------------------------------CB
-----------------------------RB-------------------LB
---------------------------------------CDM
----------------------------RM---------------------LM
---------------------------------------CAM
-----------------------------RF--------------------LF
----------------------------------------CF

I will conclude by saying that imo wenger knows best and we should not change things up when they have been going great right before the biggest match we have ever played in.
We Would Get ripped apart by a team playing 2 attacking midfielders... say ronaldinho and deco... or a Lampard and Robben.

Jez

Whilst I whole hartedly agree with you all that the 4-5-1 system seems to fit the majority of our top players into one starting line-up I still do not feel that having one man up front alone is a good idea even if he is supported heavily by the midfielders which is why I would probably opt for a traditional 4-4-2 or even a 4-4-2 Diamond where Fabregas could fill the role behind Henry and van Persie.

---------------------- Lehmann ----------------------

Lauren -------- Toure -------- Senderos ------ A. Cole

Hleb --------- Fabregas ------- Gilberto -------- Reyes

------------- van Persie ------- Henry ----------------

The 4-4-2 playing to a similar style to the '98 or '04 where both neither central midfielder has a particularly attacking role but are used as an outlet for possession when we struggle to break down the opposition defence. This system is shore to give us alot of possession with Fabregas and Gilberto both very strong ball winners and I read earlier that whilst looking back over the matches from last season it was noticed that Fabregas rarely lost posession of the ball. This system would also give Reyes and Hleb the freedom to terrorise the fullbacks with their pace ala Overmars. Furthermore van Persie could play the role of the traditional striker or even the Bergkamp role at his own disgression.

---------------------- Lehmann ----------------------

Lauren -------- Toure -------- Senderos ------ A. Cole
---------------------- Gilberto -----------------------
Hleb ------------------------------------------- Reyes
---------------------- Fabregas ----------------------
------------- van Persie ------- Henry ----------------

Then the attacking system would allow Fabregas to take on a much more attacking role acting much more as a playmaker for the side sitting in between the opposition defensive line and their midfield playing killer passes to any of Hleb, Reyes, Henry or van Persie running ahead of him. This system would also allow the use of new signing Rosicky to add an extra dimension to the team.

The role of Fabregas is crucial in my opinion, whether he becomes more of an Attacking Midfielder where he could potentially revolutionise our tactics and game plan or whether he becomes more of a holding midfield player which would give us the tactical flexability to play a whole host of 4-5-1 systems such as the 4-2-3-1 or the 4-1-2-2-1.

The next season will also be an important season for the developement of a number of our players such as Fabregas, van Persie, Senderos, Eboue, maybe Clichy, Flamini and Adebayor as they have got to either establish themselves into the first team in a specific role or not, as the case may be because they are now reaching an age where they will want/need to be in the First Team constantly and play the same role within a system.

junialum

Valid points but lets put it this way.

Arsenal does not play in a fix order. Especially in the Premiership, you have seen our 4-4-2 line up turn into 4-3-3s so many times.

Only in the CL does Wenger tell his team to stick to the plan tightly.

Otherwise the players are allowed to express themselves and with many of them having years of experience playing with each other. They can switch formations seemlessly and cause the opponent to be totally bewildered.

Not sure if it'll still be that smooth when Pires goes but I think Rosicky is our key figure. In a 4-4-2 he'll hug the left flank, in a 4-5-1 he'll play in the middle with Cesc and Gilberto and a 4-3-3, I see him playing as center striker falling into the hole.

That 7 million pound guy is going to be worth every penny.

qs

Established Member
Ive said this before but I'll say it again, Liam Brady said Wenger bought Rosicky to play in a midfield trio with Gilberto and Fabregas.

The way I see it the only player 4-4-2 isnt going to suit is Ade. And thats a pity for him cos I like him but over all 4-3-3 makes more sense.

If you think about the midfield unit, Fab, Bert and Rosicky is a great little trio. Makes life easier for Gilberto with 2 midfielders close enough for simple passes. Rosicky and Fab creating play from there would be stunning, especially with 3 ahead of them.

Then theres the real strength of this formation. Reyes and van Persie. All Reyes best games came in that formation in Europe, its the blance he needs between being a winger and a forward. He's all round plays come on alot and his work rates fantastic so you lose very little defensively playing him there. Especially with more men in the middle. Robin played in this formation for holland and looke awesome, there best player in my view. He'll lack defensively though so for tougher games and away matches Hlebs a better option.

Not only do you have all that but Hleb and Freddie can play attacking mid or upfron out wide.

The systems extremely versatile and allows us to use our attacking midfielders to their full.

One problem though, and its a major problem. This is not a system that suits Thiery. Its no coincidence Henrys form picked up when Ade came in, he loves having someone to play off like that. Now Henry is of course able to play in a 4-5-1 and still score plenty but thats where the crux of this argument lies for me.

Do you play 4-3-3 to make the most ofour attacking mids or play 4-4-2 and get the most out of the best player in the world.

I really dont know, thats why Im not managing the team. I havent a clue and I wouldnt want to choose.

Raghav89

qs said:
Ive said this before but I'll say it again, Liam Brady said Wenger bought Rosicky to play in a midfield trio with Gilberto and Fabregas.

The way I see it the only player 4-4-2 isnt going to suit is Ade. And thats a pity for him cos I like him but over all 4-3-3 makes more sense.

If you think about the midfield unit, Fab, Bert and Rosicky is a great little trio. Makes life easier for Gilberto with 2 midfielders close enough for simple passes. Rosicky and Fab creating play from there would be stunning, especially with 3 ahead of them.

Then theres the real strength of this formation. Reyes and van Persie. All Reyes best games came in that formation in Europe, its the blance he needs between being a winger and a forward. He's all round plays come on alot and his work rates fantastic so you lose very little defensively playing him there. Especially with more men in the middle. Robin played in this formation for holland and looke awesome, there best player in my view. He'll lack defensively though so for tougher games and away matches Hlebs a better option.

Not only do you have all that but Hleb and Freddie can play attacking mid or upfron out wide.

The systems extremely versatile and allows us to use our attacking midfielders to their full.

One problem though, and its a major problem. This is not a system that suits Thiery. Its no coincidence Henrys form picked up when Ade came in, he loves having someone to play off like that. Now Henry is of course able to play in a 4-5-1 and still score plenty but thats where the crux of this argument lies for me.

Do you play 4-3-3 to make the most ofour attacking mids or play 4-4-2 and get the most out of the best player in the world.

I really dont know, thats why Im not managing the team. I havent a clue and I wouldnt want to choose.

excellent post

btw it would be great if wenger uses this formation below for weak non physical sides to totally destroy em

----------------------Lehmann----------------------------------

Eboue-----------Toure---------------Senderos--------cole/clichy/???

Hleb------------Rosicky------------Fabregas------------------Reyes

------------------Henry------------Van Persie----------------------

don't forget that rosicky has good defensive attributes and can play an attack minded game while doing the job as a holding midfielder as he does for the czech

Bazza19

i think arsenal are going to play 4-3-3 mostly next season

..........lehmann
lauren...senderos..toure..cole
................gilberto
......fabregas.....new signing
persie.................................reyes
.................henry

Jameel46

Established Member
Bazza19 said:
i think arsenal are going to play 4-3-3 mostly next season

..........lehmann
lauren...senderos..toure..cole
................gilberto
......fabregas.....new signing
persie.................................reyes
.................henry

i'd say you're incorrect, playing 4-3-3 for one or two games just maybe likely. 4-5-1 may be played on a few occassions like last season, but arsenal will stick with 4-4-2 for most of the season.

apollo

Jameel46 said:
4-5-1

Hleb ----------------------------- Reyes/Ljungberg

This formation looks almost ideal to me , the wings are our vital point of strength and this is the most convenient formation for us to deploy the wings and seeing both Rocisky and Cesc in the middle of the park is AWESOME!!!...

Cheers Jameel!! :respect

Pikeypete

------------Mad Jens--------------
Eboue---Toure----Phil------Clichy
----Cesc----Silva----Rosicky
VanP----Adebayor----Henry

Backup
-----------Almunia-----------
Lauren----NEW---Cygan---NEW
---Hleb----Diabi/Flamini----Reyes
Freddie----Aliad----Walcott

Revolution

4-3-3 seems to work for players such as Van Persie as well as our Wings who regularly play the formation for Holland, etc and gives a better forward attack - Something that was key to our title success in 2002 and 2004.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4-4-2 formation, as well as other experimental formations for players.

Latest posts

Top Bottom