• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

4 Years

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
interestingly enough, we would have made about 13 million this season for getting to the Semi's.. to me, thats enough to get a good CM or CB

Burnwinter

Established Member
All this chat about which is more important, fourth place or the FA Cup. Fourth place should be a given for this club with its current resources. Has been a given, and the outlook is still solid even with the evident gulf in class between us and Utd in first.

Fourth place was pretty much secure - although given the situation at the new year, that was a surprise - by the time Arsène completely nadgered both selection and substitutions in the semi vs Chelsea.

Every season we'll still be kicking around in the domestic cup competitions while our league future is being determined.

We either try to win the FA Cup or we don't, and I'm not ready to listen to people say we shouldn't, not when it's the semi and it's Chelsea we're playing. Have a bit of pride no matter what you think of anything else, otherwise why even bother following the club? There was no serious clash between the two "objectives" (I hesitate to call 4th an objective but there you have it) this season.

To be honest I'm not sure how a serious clash can even occur once you've psychologically accepted the Carling Cup == reserves comp philosophy. Fixture pileups are a norm for which we as Arsenal must prepare, we've been in the CL every season for considerably more than a decade now, we are almost always stretched across three or more competitions until at least March or April. If there's guaranteed money in the CL then investing in players to stay in it makes sense.

famous no 10

Established Member
USArsenal said:
interestingly enough, we would have made about 13 million this season for getting to the Semi's.. to me, thats enough to get a good CM or CB

It's far more than that US, that's surely just gates...we would have earned another bunch of money from T.V., etc.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
famous no 10 said:
USArsenal said:

It's far more than that US, that's surely just gates...we would have earned another bunch of money from T.V., etc.
actually, that was JUST the money from UEFA for the competition alone.. that doesnt take into account gate money or TV money or anything else.. purely prize money from UEFA

€3 million to qualify for the CL competition alone, plus
€2.4 million for participating in the Group stage, plus
€2.4 million for Group Stage results (3 wins and 2 draws), plus
€2.5 million to get to the quarters, plus
€3 million to get to the semis

Total of €13.3 million just from UEFA...

asajoseph

Established Member
You know, I cannot help but feel that the FA Cup should be pretty damned important for us, just because it's a trophy.

We have a lot of players who have now failed on the big stage quite a few times, and never experienced success. The mental fillip of winning the trophy, even if it financially doesn't earn us that much money could be massive for us for the future..

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
hard to disagree.. goes back to having a "winning culture".. only Toure, van Persie & Fabregas have been on English Trophy winning teams (Cesc has the Euro win as well).. Manny was a sub the last time we won anything (FA Cup 2005) and the 3 players mentioned before were in the team..

that's IT.. we need to get back to that.. i would take a Carling Cup win so that the club can taste success again and build from there..

Feanor

Established Member
I don't think this team could win a pissing contest against girls...there is a reason they have not won anything. They have made finals or semis but every time we run into a good team with something on the line, we lose. Wenger needs to import some winners, not many, one or 2 in key areas.

Anzac

Established Member
quincy42 said:
lagos said:
We have been knocked out of the CL 3 times now over 2 legs in the last 5 years by English opposition, the only time we managed to get anywhere, we avoided playing any English teams. It also coincides with a period which people say Wenger has changed our playing style to suit The CL and a period when we have faltered domestically! So has Wenger's European desire come at the expense of the domestic league and is it doomed since one way or the other we are likely to encounter English opposition in the CL?

It also coincides with a time when continental football is clearly falling behind English football. This season, the only teams I would have accepted losing to from Europe were Barcelona and maybe Inter. A loss to any other team would have been embarrassing.

We should focus on building teams that can beat Liverpool, United and Chelsea.

Been saying this for some time - like I blame the CL Final appearance & use of the 451 in getting there.

kamikaze80

Established Member
TG, i dont know where you're getting this statistic that we have the best record in calendar year 2009. it's factually not true.

j'nuh, per our bet, i will have your new avatar ready for you soon.

TomasCR

Established Member
I think I read about that somewhere as well. Not sure we have been the best since January, but if not the best, among the first three for sure.

The unbeating run and all that you know. But it´s irrelevant as the league has started a bit earlier.

True Gooner

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
TG, i dont know where you're getting this statistic that we have the best record in calendar year 2009. it's factually not true.

Not what I said.

True Gooner said:
We've been in the top 3 since the turn of the year and are presently at the top.

SSN for the first bit skysports.com statistics for the second.

Top Bottom