• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

4231 or 3421?

Which formation?

• Other formation

Results are only viewable after voting.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
The back 3/5 just doesn't suit Wenger in the slightest & not convinced our players are bright enough or team minded enough to carry out instructions.

The 4231 has too many attackers on the pitch when we just dont have the center mid to cover. Its the same old issues rehashed.

Hopefully when Özil & Alexis piss off we can build a strong balanced midfield & an attack around Lazazette. Back to basics without a#10, DLP etc.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The main problem is that we allow opposition to dribble through the middle, and pick out a pass.

We either need to put good players at CM/CDM, or play 2-0-8.

Voted 3-4-2-1, as we have no wingers.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We're spastics, so 4231 helps us more.

All said, we have no positional discipline once the whistle goes anyway, so that 4231 becomes a 2017; which reminds me, happy new year everyone.
How long did it take you to come up with that one?

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

IMO it doesn't matter what formation we play under Wenger. Problems run far deeper than that.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Tell the truth coz Im smashed right now, I edited it. So about 6 minutes? I've just got in from some do in Walthamstow. A million miles from your M25 border bolt-hole. ****ing fake Londoner :lol:
Walthamstow’s only a 20 min drive away, piss off. :lol:

Reactions: BBF

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I agree with James Olley about our full backs in the 4-2-3-1 bombing forward constanly like their wing backs in 3-4-2-1 operating so far up the pitch they're leaving us exposed.

The 3-4-2-1 suits many of our players better including Nacho, Kolasinac, and Mustafi.

Last edited:

BBF

Tell the truth coz Im smashed right now, I edited it. So about 6 minutes? I've just got in from some do in Walthamstow. A million miles from your M25 border bolt-hole. ****ing fake Londoner :lol:

Ffs :lol::lol::lol:

say yes

forum master baiter
Genuinely amazed how many people prefer the 4231.

The 3421 has natural width (wingbacks), an extra CB which helps defensively and allows Ramsey to push forward and means we can play both Sanchez and Özil centrally behind the striker rather than one of them being stuck out wide.

By way of contrast, the 4231 doesn’t suit anyone in our squad. It forces us to play Sanchez out wide (where he doesn’t really stick) so we’ve got no width. Our CMs/wingbacks can’t push on as much which doesn’t play to their strengths. And we don’t really have a competent CB duo. I mean it might make sense if we had Mahrez on the bench, but at the moment it’s all just to fit Iwobi or Welbeck in the side.

arsmile

Established Member
when we ship off sanchez in Jan..... want a diamond

cech
bellerin-mustafi-kos-kolasinac
xhaka
wilshere-ramsey
Özil
giroud-lacazette

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
This is the direct football vs Wenger ball argument all over again. Once again, we have a fractured squad where some are strong for the back 3 formation while others are more suited for a back 4. Doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap for those who are versatile for both.

Wouldn't going to a back 4 all but concede that Kola was a pointless signing? He was brought here for the back 3 revolution.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
when we ship off sanchez in Jan..... want a diamond

cech
bellerin-mustafi-kos-kolasinac
xhaka
wilshere-ramsey
Özil
giroud-lacazette

yes me to, but wouldn't call it a diamond

rather 4-3-1-2

Kola/Bell provide width enough even from a backfour

jack, xhaka and ramsey has got a little bit of everything for a midfield trie

with 3 in the middle we are still covered without having to play 3 at CB

IslingtonBornandbred

I don't really get the argument either way about which formation our players are suited to. The actual positions aren't far off regardless of which formation. IMO the only player that three at the back suits is Monreal because he's going to start declining as a left back pace wise and he's too slight and not suitable to be a centre back in a two because he can be exploited.

Who else really fits three at the back? Kolasinac/Bellerin pretty much the same role especially considering on the left Alexis is usually wide anyway. Hector's up and down anyway. I'd say Xhaka fits the three at the back because he has one extra man behind him to cover him.

I think with 3-4-3/5-4-1 the balance isn't right because Alexis usually gravites to the left whilst Özil is more central coming in from the right. Lacazette's isolated a little and most of our build up comes from very deep because the central area is compacted i.e Mustafi steps out with the ball into a space that Xhaka would usually pick up the ball.

Our defence has a good balance and so do our forward options as it stands of Alexis, Özil, Lacazette. Probably missing a RW forward considering Ox, Perez and Campbell left. Welbeck doesn't really fit a certain position imo, I'd use him in big games when you need legs on the wing or a defensive attacker who will track back and get up and down.

Our central midfield is the biggest mess imo. That needs to be addressed asap.

leo9903

We've never been a 3-4-2-1 or 4-2-3-1 team. That's Conte's Chelsea and Barca's tiki taka formation respectively. We've always been a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 team. We shoehorn other team's tactical bit too much to a point that we built our transfer season strategy out of it. Give me Henry playing off of Bergkamp any day of the week than the holy trinity of Lacazette/Özil/Sanchez.

Truth is I don't see any problem switching to it right now, just play Özil up top with Lacazette to play off, and stick Sanchez wide on the left, or a hotdog stand outside the stadium depending on your hard on for Iwobi.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
It's not the formation that's the problem. It's the players and the management along with the morale and contract negotiation with key players who define if we're a big club or not.

We're **** in every formation until all that is resolved.

pikey2000

If we are asking what is Wenger going to do then I would imagine it will continue in much the same way as the beginning on the season, i.e chopping between the two and not being sure of what we are trying to be when playing either of the formation's

I've gone for other, like the look of the diamond someone posted earlier but i'd go for either of the below.

4-1-2-2-1 or 4-3-2-1 (not sure what you call it :))

Pack the midfield, play a dedicated defensive mid, but still with enough offensively minded players to cause teams trouble.

-------------------------------Cech---------------------------------
Bellerin---------Mustafi------------------Kos---------Monreal
------------------------------Coquelin------------------------------
------------------Ramsey----------------Wilshere----------------
---Özil--------------------------------------------------Sanchez---
------------------------------Lacazette-----------------------------

or wildcard, will never happen but totally within our squads capability, big man little man up front, magic maestro right behind them, with a solid back 4 and 3 man midfield to keep things a bit tighter

-------------------------------Cech---------------------------------
Bellerin---------Mustafi------------------Kos---------Monreal
------------------------------Coquelin------------------------------
------------------Ramsey----------------Wilshere-----------------
---------------------------------Özil---------------------------------
------------------Giroud----------------Lacazette-----------------

Notes;
Monreal is criminally underrated and his rep is being tarnished at CB, still easily our best LB in my opinion, was one of our stand out performers last season.

Coquelin is the best defensive mid we have full stop, the Liverpool performance was yet another shining example of how bereft our midfield has become of a natural defensive minded player, get him in the team or for the love of god buy someone who you do fancy to play at DM Wenger!

Latest posts

Top Bottom