• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

£50k p/w For Walcott?

sabret00the

Established Member
According to The Mirror, that's what he'll be getting on this new contract. I was reading it in the kebab shop. It's a ludicrous notion to me, especially considering that he's still in training for his eventual position up front and with the acquisition of Arshavin, he's no longer first choice winger. The idea of £50k p/w for a squad player is a little much. Even with some good performances under his belt. As far as i'm concerned that's first choice first teamer wages.

Just found the article online: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/02/15/theo-walcott-close-to-signing-arsenal-deal-115875-21124973/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... -21124973/</a>

qs

Established Member
Who at United Chelsea and Pool do you think are on less than £50k a week? Not anyone as good as Walcott I'd imagine. I think by todays standards at the level we want to be competing at you just have to accept players will want this kind of money.

Anyway the discussion is sort of unfounded, the Mirror don't know how much he wants or what we're willing to give him. We should ignore this as we ignore the NOTW Yaya nonsense. Slow news week, who needs a new contract, make up a figure. Remember when Ade wanted £100k a week. The papers are full of ****.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
If the 50k figure is correct, I'd have no problem with it whatsoever. He's a full international, young, on the up, and whether one thinks he's a starter or not, is an important member of our squad - Arshavin, Nasri, and Walcott is not a superfluity of wide options.

Also, since he's coming to the end of his contract I'd rather we didn't muck about like previously and haggle over 5k or so. 50k, or whatever it is, could actually turn out to be a bargain in the end, renegotiation notwithstanding.

The only caveat I'd have is the long term prognosis of his shoulders, but I'll leave that up to the medical staff.

True Gooner

Established Member
He's a fairly important player for us and can only get better.

He can play upfront or out wide.

He can change games as a sub.

He's English and a fan favourite.

Capello thinks he's Englands biggest prospect.

----

After pestering Wenger/board for not spending money, we're now questioning the move to actually give our players what they ask for? Why can't we just be pleased that we've sorted out Walcott's contract and that his future is tied to the club?

qs

Established Member
Actually the fact he could become one of Englands biggest stars is a huge factor. You have to factor in the worth of something like that. Especially considering the likes of Rooney, Terry, Gerrard, etc aren't exactly the sort of quiet, squeaky clean guys like Walcott.

TomasCR

Established Member
Wenger couldn´t do better if Walcott agrees with 50k a week or less.

He is an amazing player win an unbelievably prosperuous future who is one of the few players of our team that are worth it.

Think the story looks credibly too or at least, if you asked me before, I would probably say something around the same amount of money anyway, most of us would so it makes sense.

IBL

Established Member
They should have contracts on a sliding scale i.e. give him 35K for a year or two and then bump him up a bit, or instead of that an option for renegotiations.

50K is a tad high for a 20 year old (or is he still 19?) but I'm not overly fussed considering the current salaries for top clubs, seeing it as a long term investment it could be a good deal for us and the player.

lagos

Established Member
Sabre, I believe you once said £55k was too much for Flamini because he was a squad player! :lol: In any event you have to pay the going rate if you want to buy British!

hesham

Established Member
Id say 50k is the max he should get. He may not be first teamer but he is probably our 1st choice sub and will have an important part to play in our team

qs

Established Member
You can't think of first teamers in terms of 11 players. You need to have 15 to 17 first teamers.

Biggus

Established Member
lagos said:
Sabre, I believe you once said £55k was too much for Flamini because he was a squad player! :lol:

Yeah Lagos how's that working out for us? :lol:

Wengers skinflint transfer policy can't be applied to wages, if you don't pay the players they'll want to leave. Professional top teams aren't cheap to run.

JazzG

Established Member
Probably higher than he should get but he is more of a high profile player because he is England's new rising star so we will have to pay that extra bit. Not a big deal though.

run

Yeah, that's an easy call. If that's all he costs; sign him up.

Of course that's easy for me to say coming from the US where Basketball players make WAY more than that and the best Baseball players make even more, A LOT more.

bertlb2

Just wait until he is back to sign anything. I don't like signing injured players, especially if it is a long-time injury. You never now how fragile he will be after that.

taylor314gh

he is more than just a prospect now, so he deserves a moderate, for a footballer, salary. He has shown that he can play at the highest level, its just up to him to do that consistently. If he starts doing that, he deserves a hell of a lot more than $50k a week

Latest posts+

Top Bottom