• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

£50k p/w For Walcott?

Tony Montana

Established Member
qs said:
Who at United Chelsea and Pool do you think are on less than £50k a week? Not anyone as good as Walcott I'd imagine. I think by todays standards at the level we want to be competing at you just have to accept players will want this kind of money.

But you keep saying that we are not United. When people complain that United keep strengthening their squad with purchases and keep winning titles, you say that we can't spend 18m quid on players like Carrick and Anderson.

Why all of a sudden are you comparing us to Man Utd in terms of wages?

I genuinely don't understand.

lagos

Established Member
Based on his current football £30k max, add intangibles (England prospect etc etc) and commercial value and you could argue he's probably worth another £20k.

qs

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
qs said:
Who at United Chelsea and Pool do you think are on less than £50k a week? Not anyone as good as Walcott I'd imagine. I think by todays standards at the level we want to be competing at you just have to accept players will want this kind of money.

But you keep saying that we are not United. When people complain that United keep strengthening their squad with purchases and keep winning titles, you say that we can't spend 18m quid on players like Carrick and Anderson.

United pay well over what Walcott is asking for. He was a first team member before he was injured and I don't think he's going to be shoved down the squad too much because of Arshavins arrival. United and Chelsea pay their first team players £80k to well over the £100k mark. Especially for attacking players like Theo.

The other side of it is if we don't pay somewhat comparable wages to our players they will leave. Look at the Flamini situation, for the sake of £5k a week we lost a player worth millions.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I think we should give him what he wants. He would easily be making £70k a week at United or Chelsea. His reputation has grown enormously over the last 6months. The last thing we want to do is risk losing him because we're being stingy. The same could be said of van Persie too. These players will get what they want at any other top European club. 50k a week is a pretty modest figure these days.

hackajack

Established Member
qs said:
The other side of it is if we don't pay somewhat comparable wages to our players they will leave. Look at the Flamini situation, for the sake of £5k a week we lost a player worth millions.
Well, it was more like £10K/week or 20% more than he was worth - if that inflation is played across the wage bill as a whole it adds up to £20M/year.

Jameel46

Established Member
Walcott is not and has not ever been a big part in the team, he may become one in the future but I think people have been fooled by how good he is because of the fact he was good for a run of games before being injured. As a wide player he is behind Nasri, Rosicky, & Arshavin, and isn't as important as Flamini was to us.

And I think people need to remember that we aren't United or Chelsea, United are one of the richest clubs in the world and Chelsea have Abramovich, what we pay are players should not be compared to how they pay their players just like we shouldn't compare how much we spend to how much they spend; it is stupid to do so.

hackajack

Established Member
Basically we seem to pay like a lot of the blue chip but not top of the heap companies in any industry. Which is well but not quite the top dollar.

McIntyre

Established Member
As far as I'm concerned we've got ourselves into this situation. We've left RVP and Theo's contract's until the last minute to be renewed.

RVP's I could partly understand because of how injury prone he has been over the last two seasons. He might never have worn an Arsenal shirt again and we would've already offered him a big new contract.

But Theo? Come on. That was a real mistake.

But the real key to this is that we've broken our wage structure, and that's what the problem is. When we tried to shaft Cashley by offering him a few grand less than he asked for there was an obvious wage structure in place. By the end of Cashley's offered contract, if he was still part of the first team he would've been offered the big bucks like Thierry, Paddy and Sol were afforded. Our board made a risky power-play to try and put him and his representatives in their place. It failed, so we offloaded him. Never mind.

But then we broke the wage structure quite clearly with Cesc, justifiably so in my opinion because he's a special player who we were planning to build our team around. His contracts seem to have always been incremental, but he's essentially getting big bucks before he deserved them as our wage policy dictated.

Sadly, we made the second big mistake in caving to Adebayor's wage demands. Everybody else seemed to understand that Cesc was an exception and all our other players seemed to be rewarded on an age/loyalty/seniority basis. Then we go and reward a one season wonder with a contract that undermines players who are more deserving of a piece of the pie. Now we will always be open to players trying to exploit us. Oh, this team wants me, that team wants me, isn't it about time you gave me a new contract?

I think Theo deserves 50k only because it's our own fault he's allowed to hold us to ransom. We made our own bed by breaking the bank for some tw*t who'd only signed a contract 12 months (if that) earlier. Big mistake.

But at least Theo's got a bright future ahead of him and come the end of any contract he signs (depending on success) we won't necessarily have to up his wages significantly. He could turn out to be a huge part of our team if he continues to develop, but if he doesn't we can sell him and with his guaranteed English player increased market value we'd easily make back what we've spent on wages.

The only down side would be that we set a precendent for all the future youngsters coming through, they'll be asking for Theo level wages as soon as they hit 19.

run

we can't keep letting stars go...end of. So the club needs to get this sorted out now.

Lancelot

Established Member
£50k p/w for Theo is peanuts, really. The lad fully deserves that amount of money no matter how you look at it.

kamikaze80

Established Member
theo is worth that contract just in commercial value alone. on top of that, our financial austerity is all the more reason to give him the 50k/week. we can haggle over what amounts to ~1m/year, or we can be in a situation where we're forced to spend 15m + wages on the theo replacement. this is flamini all over again.

personally, i think gazidis understands theo's commercial value and will come up with the goods.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
50k/week is peanuts in footballing terms nowsaday. Furthermore theo is english and a rising star.

He does look honest and down to earth so even if we offered 40k/week he might still accept

hackajack

Established Member
I'm fairly confident it'll get sorted - it may be about image rights as much as weekly wage - Theo's worth a lot more than Flamini, Adebayor or possibly even Cesc from that viewpoint.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Jameel46 said:
Walcott is not and has not ever been a big part in the team, he may become one in the future but I think people have been fooled by how good he is because of the fact he was good for a run of games before being injured. As a wide player he is behind Nasri, Rosicky, & Arshavin, and isn't as important as Flamini was to us.[/b]

Had he been fit I am sure that we would have been much closer to the title than we are now. Walcott may not be anywhere close to world class yet, I still think there's question marks in his decision making, but he had been our bright spark before he got injured. I am sure that between him, Nasri and Van Persie we wouldn't have had so much problems with creativity without Cesc. There's no guarantee that Arshavin will be able to give us what Walcott gave us.

Nela

Established Member
Perry Groves talked about Ade's wages on ATVO several months back and said that they were nowhere close to what was reported in the media. He said that it was Ade, not Arsenal, who ended up caving in the end and signed on to an amount much closer to the original amount Arsenal had offered.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Jameel46 said:
Walcott is not and has not ever been a big part in the team, he may become one in the future but I think people have been fooled by how good he is because of the fact he was good for a run of games before being injured.[/b]

Have you been watching Arsenal or some other team this year?

Theo was our attacking threat at the end of last season and whilst he started this season slowly, he was putting some good form together prior to that injury.

As for who he's behind now, I reckon he's odds on to find himself in a rotation situation when he comes back. But with the quality of player we have at the club, that's no reason not to pay him £50k per week. Would you rather lose him?

Jameel46

Established Member
hey i love Theo as much as the next arsenal fan but to make out that he's as important as you lot are saying is ridiculous, i'd like to think we'll hold on to him but i'm not delusional about how important he is for us and how much he would've changed our situation.

If they pay whatever amount to keep him then that's one thing but to say that he deserves it compared to other players is another.

and people talk about commercial value, truth is in terms of commercial value he's not really close to being worth 50k a week.

Tony Montana

Established Member
qs said:
Tony Montana said:
qs said:

United pay well over what Walcott is asking for. He was a first team member before he was injured and I don't think he's going to be shoved down the squad too much because of Arshavins arrival. United and Chelsea pay their first team players £80k to well over the £100k mark. Especially for attacking players like Theo.

Exactly.

So why don't we pay somewhat comparable money when purchasing players? If we don't bid as much as United and co we won't get the players we need. To be honest I would be a bit worried if we paid 18m quid for Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson or Nani so I guess I've answered my own question. But I still find it strange that you have no problem comparing wages between the clubs. We don't have money as much money according to you so it's irrelevant comparing. We should just pay Walcott based on his worth to us.

qs

Established Member
I'd have a problem if we paid the same sort of wages as United. Same way as I'm happy to see us spend money on big players like Arshavin and Nasri I'm also happy to pay the likes of Theo a biggish wage. As I said the likes of O'Shea get over £40k at United, if we were paying Song or Eboue that sort of money I wouldn't be too happy.

Its a case of balance. IMO Theo is one of the best players we have and should be paid accordingly.

Top Bottom