• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

8 years ago today

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 30
  • Views 1,006
A

Anonymous

Arsène Wenger took charge of his first Arsenal game (if you dont count the Uefa Cup game in Germany).

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?arti ... first+game

Not a bad record is it from those stats!

Doesnt seem like eight years ago either. I remember walking down a road at Ewood Park with my mates singing "Arsène Wengers red and white army." We sang it in a funny way because none of us knew who he was!

I remember Wright scoring a goal in that game and celebrating by doing loads of silly stretches, which Wenger had had them doing in training.

eeeeting

oh, time really flies!
Eight years ago, I only know our domestic teams and national team, and thought our Shanghai team the best in China and national team behind Jp and Ko only.
Now, I won't watch a single of these matches even they pay me and pay special fees to watch Arsenal!

Mark

Established Member
It has been a wonderful 8 years. Let there be more wonderful years. You're a legend, Arsène! :D

Canuck

Established Member
He has done more for this team than any other person...Thank you Arsène Wenger for the great 8 years. What a strange and wonderful trip it's been. :mrgreen:

JazzG

Established Member
8 years since the great man arrived, this day should be a public holiday if you ask me ;) Apart from his CL record the others are quite brilliant, nearly 60% of his games he has won, that is quite staggering and I doubt many top managers have records as good.

I remember one of kid in my school telling me our club was named after Arsène Wenger and he had become our maanager, i.e Arsène ----> Arsenal, I was like WTF he is our new manager not the bloody owner. He was quite shocked when I told him this, what a plonker.....

Ally

I remember the first game really well actually. Wrighty got two blinding goals, and at the time without him we might very well have been totally buggered.

And then within a year he wasn't getting a game and we were ripping everyone else to shreds. Testemant to how much and how quickly things changed.

kanuuu

Established Member
The only thing i remember from Arsène's first season was that scorcher from Vieira against newcastle, it was amazing.

kanuuu

Established Member
OneteaminLondon said:
kanuuu said:
The only thing i remember from Arsène's first season was that scorcher from Vieira against newcastle, it was amazing.

*Ahem* Second season.

Lol alright then, Arsène's first FULL season :) . I was still a young'n ya see.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Tell you what I remember from then. Almost total indifference about this strange French man with no connections to Arsenal taking over as manager of my club. I was with TA on this, 'what the hell does this Frenchman know about football over here'. Thought he'd be there a year or two, ruin the club and run away (because we really were in a state where the club could easily have gone into free fall). We'd already seen Vieira but there was still almost universal indifference to and suspicion of the guy.

Glad I (we) got that wrong, and how!

kanuuu

Established Member
Ha i also remember Arsène winding up fergie, cant exactly remember how, something about United wanting their fixture dates to change, and Arsène said they shouldnt be able to do it, and fergie went ape, he went off on one about how Arsène was inexperienced over here and should shut up!

Corny

8 years as manager and with a 3 year deal he'll be past 10 and perhaps beyond that. 15 years would be awesome.

Soler

Established Member
kanuuu said:
Ha i also remember Arsène winding up fergie, cant exactly remember how, something about United wanting their fixture dates to change, and Arsène said they shouldnt be able to do it, and fergie went ape, he went off on one about how Arsène was inexperienced over here and should shut up!

"Everybody thinks they have the prettiest wife at home" ;D

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
ExiledInNewcastle said:
Tell you what I remember from then. Almost total indifference about this strange French man with no connections to Arsenal taking over as manager of my club. I was with TA on this, 'what the hell does this Frenchman know about football over here'. Thought he'd be there a year or two, ruin the club and run away (because we really were in a state where the club could easily have gone into free fall). We'd already seen Vieira but there was still almost universal indifference to and suspicion of the guy.

Glad I (we) got that wrong, and how!

You weren't the only one. I remember being sat in the pub with a Gooner mate of mine-Chris, for those of you who read Bye Bye..-and he was going off his head with anger. Little did we know, TA was mirroring his exacts sentiments over a "f'cking frenchman". I mean, I'm not saying I was happy about it, I was nonplussed, but Chris was furious. He's a bit happier these days though.. :lol:

A

Anonymous

The guy really is a legend for what he has done to Arsenal.

Just think, we used to have Bruce Rioch as our manager. Bruce Rioch! We could very easily have had Stuart cone man Houstan as our next manager. Just think where we would be if that had happened. I dread to think.

We certainly couldnt be moving to AB and have players like Henry and Reyes, that is for sure.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom