• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

90 minutes of....?? Match day from a Fan's perspective.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Having almost passed out with joy when we equalised at Liverpool on the 1st day of the season (I did pass out briefly during the Roma shootout a few years ago), I have realised that as much as I enjoy watching my beloved Arsenal play, it should come with serious health warnings. What makes matters even worse is that I am not sure whether Jekyll or Hyde is going to show up. All of this has led to some truly euphoric moments once victory has been assured (Wolves) or defeat as been avoided(Liverpool) to some truly apopoletic moments (Sunderland & Newcastle-West Brom not included as I was just in a complete paralyzed state of shock). I just love those games where we are 3-0 up by half-time (not many of those recently)and I can sit back and enjoy the 2nd half, crack some jokes, light up the spl..f with my pals and enjoy our mazy passing patterns in glorious HD

On match day I find myself vascillating between confidence and nervous tension prior to game time and wondering whether this truly is an enjoyable experience! Thank you Lord for what I am about to receive. However, like any true junkie I cannot give up my fix. Always, nervous and expecting the worst until we are well out of sight..........Geez, it is a trying experience.

Some will say-"GET a life".....but as Shankley once said "Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that!"

The life of a Fan-a-tic.... 8))

As a resident of a foreign land match days are spent in front of a TV, I am sure that those that are lucky enough to go watch The Arsenal live have a different experience.

What is watching The Arsenal like for you? 90 minutes of ......?

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
lots of cigarettes (easily over half a pack during the game), lots of swearing, lots of scaring the sh*t out of my dog.. on good days, lots of fist pumping and "yeahhhhhh"ing..

if we win, the weekend is all good.. if we dont, its all bad..

redanddread

USArsenal said:
lots of cigarettes (easily over half a pack during the game), lots of swearing, lots of scaring the sh*t out of my dog.. on good days, lots of fist pumping and "yeahhhhhh"ing..

if we win, the weekend is all good.. if we dont, its all bad..

haha, my dog seems immune to this now.....been trying to give up smoking for a while but The Arse won't allow it.. :(

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
after 18 years, i've stopped trying to quit.. (my dog is certainly not immue because she gets it from me when i watch Arsenal and from my wife when we watch Milan)

Danni

I wore my Arsenal shirt infront of the TV screen against West Brom this season, and now I only wear it a day before the game which usually brings the team a victory; and I'll continue to follow the routine from now on.. Apart from that, I am a nervous wreck before Arsenal games, and it's even worse when it's against the likes of United, Chelsea and Sp**s. The worst bit about it, is when we were 4-1 against Sp**s in the CC I still wasn't assured of a victory. Stupid? Yes, I know.

I've experienced some horrible memories as a Gooner, particularly after our 4-4 draw against Sp**s a few seasons back. I was watching with my Dad (who is a Spud), and when Lennon scored I hurried out of the room of cheering into a room of complete and utter silence... My kitchen. I laid down on kitchen floor for nearly an hour. Shattered is the word.

bertlb2

redanddread said:
Having almost passed out with joy when we equalised at Liverpool on the 1st day of the season (I did pass out briefly during the Roma shootout a few years ago), I have realised that as much as I enjoy watching my beloved Arsenal play, it should come with serious health warnings.

I know what you mean. My grandad stopped watching his beloved ice hockey team in the last few years of his life because of the emotions it would bring. He had heart problems.

redanddread said:
As a resident of a foreign land match days are spent in front of a TV, I am sure that those that are lucky enough to go watch The Arsenal live have a different experience.

I am often very tense in front of my TV/computer when Arsenal plays, but when I go to my local soccer team, I join in with the ultras and have a good time, regardless of the score really.

redanddread

Danni said:
I wore my Arsenal shirt infront of the TV screen against West Brom this season, and now I only wear it a day before the game which usually brings the team a victory; and I'll continue to follow the routine from now on.. Apart from that, I am a nervous wreck before Arsenal games, and it's even worse when it's against the likes of United, Chelsea and Sp**s. The worst bit about it, is when we were 4-1 against Sp**s in the CC I still wasn't assured of a victory. Stupid? Yes, I know.

I've experienced some horrible memories as a Gooner, particularly after our 4-4 draw against Sp**s a few seasons back. I was watching with my Dad (who is a Spud), and when Lennon scored I hurried out of the room of cheering into a room of complete and utter silence... My kitchen. I laid down on kitchen floor for nearly an hour. Shattered is the word.

LMAO-sorry mate but this has me cracking up! hahahaha

That game was a harbinger of our EPL doom!

squallkid

Established Member
I scream and shout all game long.

Bite my fingernails

I've even cried on occasions when we've lost really really important matches.

The most I've screamed and shouted in a match is when we beat Chelsea 2-1 at the bridge. It was our first win there in years (2004 IIRC) and remains our only win there in years. After Djourou scored that own goal I was like "here we go again" and my mates (Chelsea fans) were there yelling their heads off

When Van Persie scored those two goals I went absolutely ballistic, the neighbors thought I had gone mental and rushed over to check on me. I even slapped a mate in the face in my excited state. After that I was on pins and flipping needles and complete and utter euphoria at the final whistle

Couldn't speak the next day.

Thar's how it is with me during big games

Now when we lose depending on the loss and the circumstances. I do one of three things

Cry- Champions League Final Vs Barcelona (To this day I still can't watch that match or highlights on Youtube). just broke down in tears and cried for hours and didn't watch the Champions League matches that we didn't play in 2007 and I boycotted the final too, to this day I still don't know what happened in the Liverpool- Ac Milan game in 2007.

Anger and Swearing - Liverpool in the Champions League in 2008 where we lost 4-2 at Anfield

Accept we got beaten by the better side - When Manchester United beat us 3-1 at the Emirates. They just wanted it more that day

That's how my match days usually go

redanddread

bertlb2 said:
redanddread said:
Having almost passed out with joy when we equalised at Liverpool on the 1st day of the season (I did pass out briefly during the Roma shootout a few years ago), I have realised that as much as I enjoy watching my beloved Arsenal play, it should come with serious health warnings.

I know what you mean. My grandad stopped watching his beloved ice hockey team in the last few years of his life because of the emotions it would bring. He had heart problems.

redanddread said:

I am often very tense in front of my TV/computer when Arsenal plays, but when I go to my local soccer team, I join in with the ultras and have a good time, regardless of the score really.

I wonder if a match is as tense when watching amongst a large group of people as it is when watching on TV by yourself or with only a few friends. I have never experienced the same kind of tension at a live match-even at the ill-fated 91 FA Cup semi-final against Sp**s at Wembly (maybe my memory fails me).

I fear I may have to follow in your dear Grandfather's footsteps in years to come...:(

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
I used to live in a hostel during my uni days and used to watch the match in a common room with 20-30 other people, many of them Arsenal fans. And the matches used to be more fun and less tense than now. Basically, everyone used to keep talking about the game and even though, you'd get to year a lot of drivel when the team is losing and pointless rants, it used to keep the mind working on something along with the match.

Now, when I watch a match and we're leading by a goal and are getting attacked left right and centre in the closing minutes, I sometimes feel like just getting out of the room and finding out the result after five minutes.

Overall I enjoy matches when there is company. Here in India, cricket is religiously and passionately followed. Even thought the matches that I've been to haven't been all that great, the one memory as a fan that I'd always cherish is the Indian team winning the T-20 WC beating our fiercest rivals Pakistan in the finals. I was watching that in my uni auditorium which was packed with more than a thousand people. And the moment we won was pure bliss.

I am sure, I'd be happier if Arsenal wins the Champions League. Hope it happens soon.

mistaT

Established Member
Match Day for me follows one of two formulas:

Early game (live in the US) means its an early early game for me and I'll stream it from bed as I silently enjoy the joy of Arsenal.

Typically get a few quizical looks from the girl but nothing else :lol:

Late game means waking up around 8 or 9 and prepping my fry up or corned beef. Crack a Boddington's or Newcastle and try to beat the hangover I'm nursing by shoving beer and grease down the throat.

Unfortunately for me the Arsenal support is sparce around my parts, and the games too early to pull many friends into it.

Guess that's why I love me some Arsenal-Mania :eek:ops:

redanddread

mistaT said:
Match Day for me follows one of two formulas:

Early game (live in the US) means its an early early game for me and I'll stream it from bed as I silently enjoy the joy of Arsenal.

Typically get a few quizical looks from the girl but nothing else :lol:

Late game means waking up around 8 or 9 and prepping my fry up or corned beef. Crack a Boddington's or Newcastle and try to beat the hangover I'm nursing by shoving beer and grease down the throat.

Unfortunately for me the Arsenal support is sparce around my parts, and the games too early to pull many friends into it.

Guess that's why I love me some Arsenal-Mania :eek:ops:

Where on the west coast are you?

The ale & Fry up sounds delightful!

mistaT

Established Member
Denver originally from Vancouver....had a spell in Utah too where I had to forgo the beers, terrible stuff.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Someone needs to find a cure for that horrible empty feeling I (most of you guys probably too) get when we lose, a dark cloud hangs over me for days - im a miserable ****er as it is. Crazy thing this game.

mo50

Established Member
Match day for me starts as soon as I get out of bed, which depends on what time the match is on. Saturday's game is going to be a hectic one, with the match kicking off at 7:45 am. I've got to learn to deal with my screaming though. I wake up the rest of the household, and the TV is downstairs!

Agreed with GDeep, that hollowness after a bitter result is terrible. It messes up the rest of the weekend, and you don't want to do anything else for the rest of the day.

OohtobeaGoonerGal

Established Member
When Arsenal is playing a massive, massive game that has alot riding on it, I find it near impossible to eat anything. This is because my stomach is usually tied in knots before + during those games, and I literally can't get anything down me because I'm completely focused on the match.

I would also sometimes listen to soothing music/or upbeat happy music, to help calm nerves and that.

I'm more relaxed when watching games with my family which is 95% gooners. If I'm on here then it's because I'm usually watching by myself and if anything bad happens and furious reactions on here go flying,etc. then it gets a little tense.

Y va marquer

Established Member
90 minutes of fear, anxiety, dread, panic interspersed with flashes of irritation, resentment and moments
of wonder, pure joy, awe, admiration and more often than not relief at the sound of the final peep peep.

If at home I'll watch with a cushion at hand to protect my eyes from the sight of the ball floating high and anywhere in the general direction of the area occupied by Fabianski.

If in the pub I'll usually have to deal calmly :) with the digs and derision of all the non Arsenal supporting Man U loving cretins that I’m forced to associate with on match days.
It’s sooooooo worth it to see their grudging, graceless and incensed reactions when we win. 8))

jerome2158

Established Member
When I'm at the stadium, strangely enough I'm more relaxed. Time passes slower. 86th minute, 0-0 at west ham? At home, I'd be shouting. At the emirates...relaxed. Knew we'd score eventually. Though everytime we go behind, I make ridiculous threats and promises in my head. "If we lose, I'm going to throw myself under a train at Arsenal station. I'm never going to come back to the emirates. I'm going to go for a 90 minute run from now on when arsenal play."

at home, its a bit more relaxed. Definitely ruins my weekend or day though. And home=US, so I hate losing a match and it only being 2pm. Though I was at university during the shoot out vs roma. I was watching on my laptop with some friends in a crowded common room area, packed with people doing work. Didn't notice, but in the 10 minutes the pks lasted, I drove literally ever single person out of the lounge with obscenities, anger, and anti-roma sentiments.

...as for tottenham. Stopped watching in the 85th minute, and immediately got into the shower, arsenal jersey and all. Needed to wash the filth of tottenham defeat out of it. Also watched half that match lying flat on my back in the middle of the room.

redanddread

GDeep said:
Someone needs to find a cure for that horrible empty feeling I (most of you guys probably too) get when we lose, a dark cloud hangs over me for days - im a miserable ****** as it is. Crazy thing this game.

Oh no-well that is a big problem to start with!

I find that intimate company with the opposite sex sometimes help to ease the pain of a loss. Trouble is, as a single man that is not a gauranteed thing each time we lose-particularly if we lose back to back games :? !

Latest posts

Top Bottom