• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

A realistic discussion of potential striker targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superdudes

so what does your other half mind think? :p well Arsène is buying yaya as he's plans for the future.. viera is already 27.. he'll only last a couple of seasons more.. thus yaya is posed to be vieras' future replacement.. as 4everarsenal has said.. the striker could be somebody remote.. i should think it'd be someone from the Dutch Eredivisie.. read ajax..

Arjan

Goonergurjit said:
Superdudes said:
the striker could be somebody remote.. i should think it'd be someone from the Dutch Eredivisie.. read ajax..

That would be Zlatan or van der Vaart?

They are wanted by almost every club in the world, so no change they'll be coming.

I say feyenoords Robin van Persie..........

Wait and see, out of contract next summer, amazing talent, wants to play at the famous number 10 position (that's dutch/ ajax i'm affraid)

If we could get him, we should.

Adam

Established Member
Myles Palmer has touted Rivaldo to come here - i doubt any of us here believe for one minute this will happen. But thinking about it had me in dream land. Ah, those long shots, the finishing!

Arjan

In holland a newspaper said that Rivaldo just won a price for the worst footballer, called the golden bustbin, second was al gadaffi from perugia.

BUT it also mentioned that Rivaldo signed for Real Madrid...... :?:

Adam

Established Member
Arjan said:
In holland a newspaper said that Rivaldo just won a price for the worst footballer, called the golden bustbin, second was al gadaffi from perugia.

BUT it also mentioned that Rivaldo signed for Real Madrid...... :?:

The editor must of been smoking some of that legalised stuff they sell there. :wink:

Arjan

Well, it was from the official dutch press office, but i don't know what they do in their lunchbreaks :?:

I think they ate some wrong mushrooms, since all smoking is banned in public places, yes even in coffeeshops( from 1-1-2004)

jc8gooner

I reckon they are several forward targets for the top premier clubs in the January transfer window:

1) Mateja Kezman- this man cannot be ignored due to recent comments and a glowing reputation. However, he has said that he would prefer to play with Ruud at Man United (hasn't he noticed that Ruud won't pass to him?!). In my opinion, he is an excellent player who Arsène could turn into a true red and a world-class striker, but if Man U is his preferred destination, I doubt he will come to Arsenal. chance of signing. 5%

2) Jermaine Defoe- Everyone has seen the kid has talent and it is more than obvious that he wants to leave West Ham to return to the Premiership. Jermaine was an Arsenal fan as a kid and his idol is Ian Wright. He is also a London lad. All these bode well for Arsenal. But, he is temperamental (see two sendings off this season alone), seen as selfish and has not yet played at the very top level (a great club or in Europe). Also, we already have a young and developing striker in the great Jeremie Aliadiere. Young, talented, English footie players are v.expensive too, and we do not have the finances to compete for his signature with the likes of Man U, Chelsea or even Liverpool. Also, Wenger has hardly any history of buying English players. chance of signing. 15%

3) Patrick Kluivert- a man often mentioned on these boards, he seems a more realistic target. He has often spoken of coming to the prem, and playing for Arsenal. He is a player of great experience at the highest level and has the strength and power we need up front. However, he is cup-tied for European games for this season, he is seen as past his best by many (a fair criticism considering recent form) and seems to have lost his desire. If he leaves Barca, they have no-one who can fill his role upfront. He also demands a high wage, and we don't have the money. I severely doubt that we will sign him on a full deal in January. There is a distinct possibility though that we could get him on loan. chance of signing. 35%

4) Samuel Eto'o- This man also seems to have many pros over cons. He has signalled that he wants to leave Real Mallorca, possibly for the prem. His game would be very suited to the prem- he has pace and strength. He is good friends with Lauren, who would surely recommend Arsenal to him. He would not cost more than 6 million in my opinion. However, he would be playing in the African Nations Cup in January for Cameroon. He is maybe too similar to Henry. He would need time to adapt to the prem and the weather in England. Therefore, it is unlikely that he would make any significant impact this season. I would still welcome him with open arms. chance of signing. 35%

5) Alan Smith- rumours have really hotted up on him recently. I am very dubious though. His temperament is awful, as his goalscoring record, although in a struggling team. He loves Leeds with a passion and might not fit in 'down south'. He hasn't great pace, and this is a quality that Wenger believes players should have, esp strikers. Wenger also has no history of buying established English players, apart from Sol. On the positive though, he would need no time to adapt to the prem cos he has been playing in it for over 5 yrs. He is the type of player we need- a real frontman or targetman. He is a very passionate player, which can be seen as a good thing. chance of signing. 20%

If anyone can think of any other realistcic targets............

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I think Jose Antonio Reyes remains Wenger's number one target.
Arjan how does van Persie compare to the likes of van der Vaart and Robben?

Andrew

jc8gooner said:
I reckon they are several forward targets for the top premier clubs in the January transfer window:

1) Mateja Kezman- this man cannot be ignored due to recent comments and a glowing reputation. However, he has said that he would prefer to play with Ruud at Man United (hasn't he noticed that Ruud won't pass to him?!). In my opinion, he is an excellent player who Arsène could turn into a true red and a world-class striker, but if Man U is his preferred destination, I doubt he will come to Arsenal. chance of signing. 5%

Would love it but he would cost too much.

jc8gooner said:
2) Jermaine Defoe- Everyone has seen the kid has talent and it is more than obvious that he wants to leave West Ham to return to the Premiership. Jermaine was an Arsenal fan as a kid and his idol is Ian Wright. He is also a London lad. All these bode well for Arsenal. But, he is temperamental (see two sendings off this season alone), seen as selfish and has not yet played at the very top level (a great club or in Europe). Also, we already have a young and developing striker in the great Jeremie Aliadiere. Young, talented, English footie players are v.expensive too, and we do not have the finances to compete for his signature with the likes of Man U, Chelsea or even Liverpool. Also, Wenger has hardly any history of buying English players. chance of signing. 15%

Could become an excellent player under Wenger. Not sure if he would do in the short term. From what I remember from the Premiership his finishing wasn't too good.

jc8gooner said:
3) Patrick Kluivert- a man often mentioned on these boards, he seems a more realistic target. He has often spoken of coming to the prem, and playing for Arsenal. He is a player of great experience at the highest level and has the strength and power we need up front. However, he is cup-tied for European games for this season, he is seen as past his best by many (a fair criticism considering recent form) and seems to have lost his desire. If he leaves Barca, they have no-one who can fill his role upfront. He also demands a high wage, and we don't have the money. I severely doubt that we will sign him on a full deal in January. There is a distinct possibility though that we could get him on loan. chance of signing. 35%

After seeing some of his performances last season I thought he was no good anymore. But his performance against Real Madrid really opened my eyes. He seems like a player who would fit our style perfectly and would also provide an aerial threat. He is also quicker than I thought. Could revive his career at Arsenal.

jc8gooner said:
4) Samuel Eto'o- This man also seems to have many pros over cons. He has signalled that he wants to leave Real Mallorca, possibly for the prem. His game would be very suited to the prem- he has pace and strength. He is good friends with Lauren, who would surely recommend Arsenal to him. He would not cost more than 6 million in my opinion. However, he would be playing in the African Nations Cup in January for Cameroon. He is maybe too similar to Henry. He would need time to adapt to the prem and the weather in England. Therefore, it is unlikely that he would make any significant impact this season. I would still welcome him with open arms. chance of signing. 35%

Would love it but there's no chance. Too many other clubs interested.

jc8gooner said:
5) Alan Smith- rumours have really hotted up on him recently. I am very dubious though. His temperament is awful, as his goalscoring record, although in a struggling team. He loves Leeds with a passion and might not fit in 'down south'. He hasn't great pace, and this is a quality that Wenger believes players should have, esp strikers. Wenger also has no history of buying established English players, apart from Sol. On the positive though, he would need no time to adapt to the prem cos he has been playing in it for over 5 yrs. He is the type of player we need- a real frontman or targetman. He is a very passionate player, which can be seen as a good thing. chance of signing. 20%

His tempermant is a problem but apart from that his attitude is great. He works his socks off but for me he hasn't progressed well enough over the past few seasons.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Goonergurjit said:

i watch a lot of dutch football, i dont think van persie is better than robben or van der vaart. He is a good player though (with serious attitude problems!) out of the three, he would probably the easiest to sign. Out of the three, my personal choice would be robben. he is so direct, beats players for fun, scores goals everything arsen looks for in a winger. he can be as effective as overmars was here, and maybe even more so. he is a real talent.

Arjan

patrick42uk said:
Goonergurjit said:

i watch a lot of dutch football, i dont think van persie is better than robben or van der vaart. He is a good player though (with serious attitude problems!) out of the three, he would probably the easiest to sign. Out of the three, my personal choice would be robben. he is so direct, beats players for fun, scores goals everything arsen looks for in a winger. he can be as effective as overmars was here, and maybe even more so. he is a real talent.

You are completely right.

But, robben and van der Vaart are not for sale, and Van Persie is.
Remember that you are comparing Van Persie to 2 of the most talented young playres out there. So it is not that strange that he came in third. (try and find a better england-youngster than Robben or VDV)

The biggest plus that van Persie has is that he can take excellent free kicks and he's a better header.

Jgooner, very good analysis, but I think Kluivert has more change then anyone. He recently rediscovered his form (fantastic goal against real Madrid). I think that he is now playing so good because he knows he'll playing at highbury from next januari

Superdudes

van der vaart has join arsenal thanks to OPArsenal.. anyone else who wants to trade his/her granny for reyes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom