• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

A View From The Stands - Blackburn v Arsenal

James

Established Member
13/9/08: Blackburn Rovers 0-4 Arsenal

Photo-0070Custom.jpg

The international break had come at the worst possible time for Arsenal. On the back of 7 goals in two games, and signs of the team being back to its fluent style, we had to face the burden of our squad having to fly around the world to play for their respective countries. As if three difficult and lengthy away trips across the country and Europe wasn’t enough. In the two weeks since Arsenal’s 3-0 victory over then Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle, Arsène had refused or failed to strengthen the squad on transfer deadline day, Dimitar Berbatov moved from the **** at the lane, to the cockney reds, and Theo Walcott had seemingly begun to realise his true potential with a breathtaking hat-trick in Zagreb.

The north west has never been favourable for the arsenal in recent years, but our record at Ewood Park is better than any other travelling side in the Premiership. Memories of Wenger’s first ever game in charge, the 4-1 win in the Easter snow during that fantastic run towards winning double in ‘98, and Henry’s clinical strike in his last ever season. This was also to be another unforgettable trip to Darwen.

Got up to Blackburn in good time, and headed to the popular and welcoming Fernhurst pub, just across the road from the ground. It was fairly quiet, but a couple of pints later and 20 minutes into a seemingly easy United victory, the place was full of Gooners. It was the first time i’d been with my friend Matt to the Arse since I was a Junior Gunner, and it was good to have a new face alongside my brother, who i’ve been going with for the past 9 years now. There was alot of familiar faces in there. Some i’d spoken to before, a few i’ve stood and sang with, and then others that i’d often see on the road when I was on the away scheme. It was good to be back. After all, this was my first away game since the 6-2 demolition of Derby in May. It had felt like an age. Van Der Sar’s howler was greeted with alot of “friendly waves” at the screen, and United folded completely. The side that on paper struck fear into everyone, really wasn’t living up to the expectation and the opening 15 minute performance it had produced. Stayed in the pub until the game had finished and headed straight over to the ground. Everyone was in good voice.

The first thing that struck me was the amount in our end. I had expected we would sell out the majority of the lower, but didn’t expect to sell half the section in the upper too. Was obviously pleased to see Theo starting, although at the expense of the injured Sami. I also thought that Bendtner may get a start, especially with midweek in mind, and the hint of rotation from Arsène. This was a must win though to show that we really were a force away from home.

We started off brilliantly. Theo who had dazzled the nation midweek, ripped through 3 players down the left hand side and slotted in Robin. His first touch really made the opportunity what it was, and slid the ball past Tottenham’s number two. Minutes later though, and signs of Arsenal’s vulnerability at the back, as Santa Cruz was proving a handful as Kolo brilliantly flicked his shot over the bar. After a Blackburn corner, Arsenal countered at blistering pace and Ade slotted in Theo, who side-footed his shot high and wide. “He only does it for England”. The ability, rather than potential, was shining through.

It cannot be denied however, that at times, we were rocking at the back. Emerton was getting the better of Gael and a number of his crosses should have been converted. The move of the match came just before the break though. The Blackburn fans applauded as Arsenal were forced back to the half way line, but in the typical patient style of this side, the ball was worked down the left, and Denilson put in a spectacular cross that was met by Adebayor. 5,000 gooners got behind the togolaese striker from the off, and he had his first league goal of the season. In terms of team play, we won’t see a better goal all season.

Half time, and it felt like everyone was awaiting the emergence of Paul Robinson to the goal infront of the Darwen End. The game was won, the sun was shining, and everyone was in the mood to rip into “England’s number one”. Immediately, he was met with cries of what any former Sp**s player would be, and then “Tott-numbs nummmber two!”. Fat boy took it in good spirit though to be fair to him, and with his fingers, replied with a number four.

Blackburn, unlike their spell in the first half, didn’t look dangerous at all besides a finger tip save to deny Roberts. Arsenal pressed and won the ball quickly, especially Denilson, who was my man of the match. There is still massive room for improvement, and consistency is a part of that. He was brilliant though on Saturday, and showed signs of the engine needed to partner Cesc.

With ten minutes remaining, fans favourite Emmanuel Eboue (who had earlier hit a screamer that looked destined for the top corner) was brought down in the box. “You’ve only come to see Eboue!”, was sung as the player was stretchered off. I think the same thoughts was going through everyone’s minds as to whether he was really injured, but all the best to Arsenal’s utility genius. Ade stepped up to tuck away the penalty, and after a bright ten minutes from Aaron Ramsey, the Welshman slotted the former in to wrap up his hat-trick. “England’s number 6” had conceded another handful against the Arsenal. It had been a brilliant day.

Further signs as to why Arsène has so much faith in the players he sees every day, although questions will have to be asked over the 20 minute spell where Blackburn could have so easily pulled level. Just the one goal conceded in the four games so far, but half decent finishing on Saturday could have easily seen us gone in level at half time. It is another difficult away trip that faces Arsène’s men in Kiev, and a similar attacking performance could see a similar result.

James

Established Member
To be honest, i would've liked to have written alot more, but i've been a bit wrapped up in my work at MK Dons.

Feanor

Established Member
Good Read James. It's amazing how your spare time seems to shrink a little more every year as you get older...or is that just me?

James

Established Member
Feanor said:
Good Read James. It's amazing how your spare time seems to shrink a little more every year as you get older...or is that just me?
Three years of being a student followed by two months of unemployment...i finally have something to do with myself

number_0

Established Member
Looks like a great read, hope this becomes a tradition every game with game goers chippin in with their experiances aswell

atmosphere

I know we were all expecting this game to have the "internationl hangover" effect like you've mentioned in the first paragraph, but perhaps if anything that didn't really kick in until a further trip abroad last night?

We did look sluggish in the first half yesterday. God knows what it'll be like on Saturday, the players' flight didn't get in until 2am this morning...

edit: Good read BTW. :)

James

Established Member
Very true. I guess we can be slightly relieved that it's an evening kick off? Gives us those extra couple of hours to recuperate ;)

Cheers, nice to have a little bit of feedback. Given the number of views to replies (just the four), and the time it did take me, i probably shall not bother next time.

True Gooner

Established Member
Don't! These View from the Stands threads are incredibly useful and gives supporters who cant attend games an idea of how a match day pans out, something thats never covered or mentioned by the media.

Fully appreciate the time and effort you put into these mate.

GaelForce22

Established Member
^^Agreed. These threads are always great reads. For me anyway I really like the away ones as I've never been to an away match/ sat with the away fans.

And could you explain why Robbo replied to the chants with 4 fingers James? I didn't quite get that bit.

TomasCR

Established Member
Exactly. Look at the number of people who have already seen this thread James, something around 530 in 3 days, that´s not that bad, is it? These views from the stands are very popular. I would love to give you more of feedback but as you surely know, people like myslef, who are not going to the matches don´t really have much to say. I just enjoy reading it because except what I saw on tv, this is the only way how to know about the match more. ;)

All I can say is thanks.

James

Established Member
GaelForce22 said:
And could you explain why Robbo replied to the chants with 4 fingers James? I didn't quite get that bit.
I assume he meant he was fourth in the pecking order at Sp**s. Unless i completely missed something.

Cheers guys.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Didn't realise it was here mate. Good read. Don't stop, well unless I'm at a game! ;-)

Thought I heard Theo get clapped off by the Blackburn fans- or was that just you guys being mega loud?

atmosphere

James, keep on doing these and make sure you always make a note of what songs and chants get sung cos it's always the away games that have the funniest banter.

So far I haven't been to one away game, home or away this season. Gutted but I just haven't been able to get to any.

Latest posts

Top Bottom