• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Hickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, but with Tielemans and Viera does he come here to fight for the LB position and only get the odd CM game?

I'm in the camp that you play him at left back, which I think is the only position he'd play for a top 6 club. If he wants to be a midfielder then there's no point us going for him, he'd probably end up at West ham.

To me he seems one of those types where he could be a top class fullback, or decent midfield player. Up to him I suppose.

Wiltord's left boot

As I've said before if he isn't better than Tierney not much point spending close to 25m on him

If its a better back up we are looking for maybe Josh Doig who we were linked with before and who Bologna are looking at to replace Hickey would be a better option for around a third of the price Hickey is. This could be just another Tavares-esque signing. Young, potential to fill in but not challenge.
Tierney's back up will need to be peretty good considering he'll be playing at least half the season.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Yeah, but with Tielemans and Viera does he come here to fight for the LB position and only get the odd CM game?
It's got to be Tielemans or Zinchenko right? Why would he swap being a backup left back at City for Arsenal?

Or even if you think he displaces Tierney, that means we probably lose Tierney next summer. I just don't see it, links to Hickey looking more likely now although it's kind of imperfect as well.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's got to be Tielemans or Zinchenko right? Why would he swap being a backup left back at City for Arsenal?

Or even if you think he displaces Tierney, that means we probably lose Tierney next summer. I just don't see it, links to Hickey looking more likely now although it's kind of imperfect as well.

To me he displaces Tierney. Good player and character, but he's proven he can't stay fit across a season. Harsh but us fans always want the club to be more ruthless, and this is what it looks like imo. If he agrees to become a rotation player, that's great, if not you move him on.

Besides, the way Arteta uses fullbacks suits Zinchenko more. More of a technical player than KT.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
To me he seems one of those types where he could be a top class fullback, or decent midfield player. Up to him I suppose.
I'm not sure Zinchenko's ceiling is only a decent midfield player, tbh. I remember seeing a graph from Ted Knutson way back when (probably 4-5 years ago) calling him little KdB and really liking his potential as a midfielder, which made me reconsider a player I really hadn't thought too much about at the time.

That said, he's been so much time out of that position and as a LB that it's certainly a risk and a bit of a project, and for that reason certainly I'd rather bet on Tielemans, who has similar upside without such risk / development needed.

Anyways, like @El Duderino says, I don't see why Zinchenko would come to us to take on the same role he has at City (or worse), and Hickey for me is the perfect profile for us anyways, right age to serve as a back-up and develop, right characteristics (two-footedness, technical, can be inverted and help with build-up in possession system, and offer something a bit different than Tierney stylistically), can serve as back-up at LB and RB.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I'm not sure Zinchenko's ceiling is only a decent midfield player, tbh. I remember seeing a graph from Ted Knutson way back when (probably 4-5 years ago) calling him little KdB and really liking his potential as a midfielder, which made me reconsider a player I really hadn't thought too much about at the time.

That said, he's been so much time out of that position and as a LB that it's certainly a risk and a bit of a project, and for that reason certainly I'd rather bet on Tielemans, who has similar upside without such risk / development needed.

Anyways, like @El Duderino says, I don't see why Zinchenko would come to us to take on the same role he has at City (or worse), and Hickey for me is the perfect profile for us anyways, right age to serve as a back-up and develop, right characteristics (two-footedness, technical, can be inverted and help with build-up in possession system, and offer something a bit different than Tierney stylistically), can serve as back-up at LB and RB.
Is Hickey good enough though to rely on for long periods of a season? I've never seem him apart from a few internationals.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I don't see the stand out technical or physical attributes to really make the difference in midfield for a top 6 club tbh. Tielemans to be looks to be better on the ball, better technique, ball striking and vision. Also obviously has the experience of playing as an 8 in a 433 in the PL.

Fullbacks in the modern game is are really important because they get the most time on the ball, which I think is why we are seeing more teams use "playmaker" types there as opposed to the traditional overlap and cross type player. Would like to see us have a guy like that there, and can't really think of anyone better than OZ.

Yeah, to me he'd come as a first choice, but can appreciate that guarantee is unlikely. Don't know much of Hickey so can't comment. As KT will be out for probably half of the season next year, it's a big ask on a young lad being a starter for so much of the season.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Is Hickey good enough though to rely on for long periods of a season? I've never seem him apart from a few internationals.
I don't know, I am just going off the player I was reading about at age 17 or so that City was extremely interested in (and understood to have sealed the deal for), but my assumption is that if 3 years later we and others are interested in him for 20-25m, that his evolution has gone as expected and that player that I read about at 17 was a very interesting profile indeed.

No guarantees with 20 year olds without premier league experience, but it's nice that he's had two years of experience in a decent league, and it's not easy to find the profile of two-footed inverted fullbacks with a high technical level and the requisite physical attributes. I certainly understand our interest in that profile and trust our scouts if they think he's ready, as they know a lot more than I or any of us do about his ability.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I don't know, I am just going off the player I was reading about at age 17 or so that City was extremely interested in (and understood to have sealed the deal for), but my assumption is that if 3 years later we and others are interested in him for 20-25m, that his evolution has gone as expected and that player that I read about at 17 was a very interesting profile indeed.

No guarantees with 20 year olds without premier league experience, but it's nice that he's had two years of experience in a decent league, and it's not easy to find the profile of two-footed inverted fullbacks with a high technical level and the requisite physical attributes. I certainly understand our interest in that profile and trust our scouts if they think he's ready, as they know a lot more than I or any of us do about his ability.
Yeah he's bound to have learnt a lot on the defensive side of things in Italy. Hopefully he can comfortably slot in when required.

What we are looking is someone like Tsimikas (no idea how it's spelt but the Liverpool left back). Able to come in as and when required and do a solid job. Dependable if not at the level of Robertson but you aren't afraid watching him play like Tavares.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I assume Hickey coming is just dependant on Tavares to be loaned or sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom