• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsdale: Toys Out Of The Pramsdale

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

From Southgate's comments it looks like Ramsdale has taken Pope's place in the England team already. That probably makes him England's Number 2. The move to Arsenal's really worked out for him so far. Reckon long term it will be between him and Henderson for the top spot.
These are the comments. Henderson has only played like three matches for United's U23 side after being out for a long time. Ramsdale hasn't got his first game for England yet, so surely he is not 2nd yet, there is Johnstone too?

Anyway, I thinks it's pretty promising from Southgate to choose him over Pope based on his form. Praising also his building from the back with his feet.

What is clear is that he thinks Ramsdale it at least as good as Pope now, and much younger. With Ramsdale's personality in addition, I think he has a great opportunity to grab a permanent position in the England squad (although I don't know much what Pope is like).

"First cap in Ramsdale's sights

Arsenal goalkeeper Ramsdale was part of the side which reached the final of that tournament after being drafted in following an injury to Dean Henderson but is still waiting to earn his first England cap. He returns in place of Burnley's Nick Pope.

"Aaron was with us all summer and we had the opportunity to work with him for a long time and get to understand his strengths," Southgate added

"Nick [Pope] is still I think coming back from injury a little bit, but I think Aaron is just in a better vein of form at the moment.

"From Aaron's perspective, the move to a bigger club with higher expectations and a style of play where he is asked to build with his feet from the back, he's coping really well.""

drippin

This interview really is just pure gold. Ramsdale seemed smart and mature in his United interviews too, but he doesn't seem nervous at all here which is a bit surprising and throws a few jokes too.

I hope he wants to be like Seaman, they seem a bit similar here and get along well. Wouldn't be a bad goal to be such a legend. Good stuff.

"Now, Goal reporter Charles Watts has claimed that Arsenal's academy manager Per Mertesacker invited Seaman to London Colney to do some 'informal work' with Ramsdale as the Gunners goalkeeper looks to continue his impressive start.

The visit from Seaman comes just a few days after the pair linked up following the 3-1 win against Tottenham, with the former Arsenal goalkeeper interviewing the current first-choice shot-stopper."

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

humble-pie.jpg

That pie's been so sweet too, sheit.

Suffice to say I didn't want Ramsdale in the slightest, but he's definitely winning me over (to be really honest he's actually won me over but it's way too small a sample size so I have to be sensible innit :lol:).

It's less about ability for me as unlike quite a few in here I have very little issues with Leno and I think we've maybe been hyper-analysing his faults, especially since the summer (and since his intentions to leave have been made more evident).

But I love Ramsdale's attitude and energy, it's been really refreshing and he's been good on top of that.

He is most definitely going to have a blunder or two; natural because he's only 23 (let's not even discuss what Martinez was like @ 23 lol) so I just hope that people don't turn on him when it happens (I'm looking at myself too, I definitely will try to keep rational) but there signs are there that he can be an excellent player for us for years to come fingers crossed.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
These are the comments. Henderson has only played like three matches for United's U23 side after being out for a long time. Ramsdale hasn't got his first game for England yet, so surely he is not 2nd yet, there is Johnstone too?

Anyway, I thinks it's pretty promising from Southgate to choose him over Pope based on his form. Praising also his building from the back with his feet.

What is clear is that he thinks Ramsdale it at least as good as Pope now, and much younger. With Ramsdale's personality in addition, I think he has a great opportunity to grab a permanent position in the England squad (although I don't know much what Pope is like).

"First cap in Ramsdale's sights

Arsenal goalkeeper Ramsdale was part of the side which reached the final of that tournament after being drafted in following an injury to Dean Henderson but is still waiting to earn his first England cap. He returns in place of Burnley's Nick Pope.

"Aaron was with us all summer and we had the opportunity to work with him for a long time and get to understand his strengths," Southgate added

"Nick [Pope] is still I think coming back from injury a little bit, but I think Aaron is just in a better vein of form at the moment.

"From Aaron's perspective, the move to a bigger club with higher expectations and a style of play where he is asked to build with his feet from the back, he's coping really well.""

Things can change quickly with Internationals so yeah it's my read of the situation rather than fact. But Pope was ahead of Johnstone I think and Pope has been playing for his club so however you sugar coat it, he has been dropped essentially. I think Ramsdale comes in as Number 2 now... Longer term Henderson may leap frog him again - he seems to be just as highly rated, maybe more so - than Ramsdale. But he has to displace De Gea again first.

Pope's a great keeper, many people have been clamouring for him to start ahead of Pickford for some time. But aside from Pickfords tournament form, it's his distribution that stands out. I think Southgate views this as a weakness of Pope maybe.

drippin

Things can change quickly with Internationals so yeah it's my read of the situation rather than fact. But Pope was ahead of Johnstone I think and Pope has been playing for his club so however you sugar coat it, he has been dropped essentially. I think Ramsdale comes in as Number 2 now... Longer term Henderson may leap frog him again - he seems to be just as highly rated, maybe more so - than Ramsdale. But he has to displace De Gea again first.

Pope's a great keeper, many people have been clamouring for him to start ahead of Pickford for some time. But aside from Pickfords tournament form, it's his distribution that stands out. I think Southgate views this as a weakness of Pope maybe.
Our views aren't much apart, and he can be second choice soon.

I just have a hard time seeing a GK second choice with not a single cap and not a long time in the team.

I wouldn't brag yet that we have England 2nd choice keeper.

Barry

Our views aren't much apart, and he can be second choice soon.

I just have a hard time seeing a GK second choice with not a single cap and not a long time in the team.

I wouldn't brag yet that we have England 2nd choice keeper.
Yeah I think that's a fair point as well. There's obviously a group of five keepers for England with not a whole lot between them at the moment. Pickford's clear as number one but based on club form even he's on shakier ground. I wouldn't be gloating about it but my original point was that Ramsdale has benefitted from the move to Arsenal and I think that's pretty clear. Pope and Johnston were both ahead of him and based on the latest England selection at least, that doesn't appear to be the case right now.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
humble-pie.jpg

That pie's been so sweet too, sheit.

Suffice to say I didn't want Ramsdale in the slightest, but he's definitely winning me over (to be really honest he's actually won me over but it's way too small a sample size so I have to be sensible innit :lol:).

It's less about ability for me as unlike quite a few in here I have very little issues with Leno and I think we've maybe been hyper-analysing his faults, especially since the summer (and since his intentions to leave have been made more evident).

But I love Ramsdale's attitude and energy, it's been really refreshing and he's been good on top of that.

He is most definitely going to have a blunder or two; natural because he's only 23 (let's not even discuss what Martinez was like @ 23 lol) so I just hope that people don't turn on him when it happens (I'm looking at myself too, I definitely will try to keep rational) but there signs are there that he can be an excellent player for us for years to come fingers crossed.
Same with me.

Never expect he'll be this good. But I'll keep the pitchfork close though.

drippin

Yeah I think that's a fair point as well. There's obviously a group of five keepers for England with not a whole lot between them at the moment. Pickford's clear as number one but based on club form even he's on shakier ground. I wouldn't be gloating about it but my original point was that Ramsdale has benefitted from the move to Arsenal and I think that's pretty clear. Pope and Johnston were both ahead of him and based on the latest England selection at least, that doesn't appear to be the case right now.
Yeah, my notion was of minor importance.

Like you say the important thing is how close he is to be even number one there now. I think most people were saying that Johnstone and Pope are a lot better.

Being a starter at Arsenal of course helps, but he has and still has to perform well because Leno is breathing down his neck, which is a great thing like Seaman says too.

Barry

Yeah, my notion was of minor importance.

Like you say the important thing is how close he is to be even number one there now. I think most people were saying that Johnstone and Pope are a lot better.

Being a starter at Arsenal of course helps, but he has and still has to perform well because Leno is breathing down his neck, which is a great thing like Seaman says too.
This is exactly how I see it as well. The competition is a good thing and the England ranking doesn't mean much for Arsenal really, except to show that we've hopefully bought well.

drippin

This is exactly how I see it as well. The competition is a good thing and the England ranking doesn't mean much for Arsenal really, except to show that we've hopefully bought well.
It's still early days, but I have a lot of confidence in Ramsdale. He has been through a lot with the relegations, and the bad form in the first half of last season for United.

He even said he made a mistake in the Tottenham goal, only to make a worldie save in the last minutes of the game.

He has a strong mind, and knows how to conquer difficulties. It also looks like the playing skills needed are already there to be developed even more.

All goalies make mistakes, I have seen a few in recent years even from Alisson and Ederson. But if Ramsdale makes one, I think he will bounce back fast and try to improve.

Barry

It's a bit of a ridiculous comparison off the back of 3 games but Ramsdale currently has an 87% save % which is the second best in the league. Football 365 ran an article on it (this isn't me geeking out)

Barry

It's still early days, but I have a lot of confidence in Ramsdale. He has been through a lot with the relegations, and the bad form in the first half of last season for United.

He even said he made a mistake in the Tottenham goal, only to make a worldie save in the last minutes of the game.

He has a strong mind, and knows how to conquer difficulties. It also looks like the playing skills needed are already there to be developed even more.

All goalies make mistakes, I have seen a few in recent years even from Alisson and Ederson. But if Ramsdale makes one, I think he will bounce back fast and try to improve.

It's an incredible save. The one he made in his cup debut for us was arguably even better as well. Like you said though, very early days. Hope he can keep it up.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
The original comment was about reach, and now people are talking Leno would not reach the ball because he is not as stocky as Ramsdale. :lol: 🤷‍♂️

Maybe some are thinking about arm length rather than height? Although that's something we can't know from anywhere? Would be a good stat to know for goalies, similar to boxing.

Tbf, the stocky comment was in response to me saying I always saw Leno as a smaller keeper. Ramsdale definitely looks a more physically able keeper. Anyway, neither are small, one just looks small :)

drippin

It's a bit of a ridiculous comparison off the back of 3 games but Ramsdale currently has an 87% save % which is the second best in the league. Football 365 ran an article on it (this isn't me geeking out)

Mendy has been better than I thought, but if we just compare the transfer fees and Ramsdale can keep his performances up, we can see how cheap Ramsdale was.

I just quote Transfermarkt fees now, but Mendy cost 24 million euros according to them, and Ramsdale 28 million euros. Ramsdale is 6 years younger and HG, with possibility to be England number one, one day.

I was always baffled how people thought Ramsdale was very expensive. Maybe it's a combination on how they thought he is a bad keeper, and that relegation teams always sell cheap?

But the times have changed, and without a relegation clause a player with 3 years in contract will cost a lot, when a PL place is worth so much. Now it looks like Ramsdale was a bargain. But let's not go over the top yet.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
When you've got a young defence you really can do with a commanding goalkeeper. Ramsdale has that about him. Just need to make sure his attitude doesn't tick over into Pickford territory, where he gets overly worked up at times and loses focus.

So far so good though.

drippin

When you've got a young defence you really can do with a commanding goalkeeper. Ramsdale has that about him. Just need to make sure his attitude doesn't tick over into Pickford territory, where he gets overly worked up at times and loses focus.

So far so good though.
In my opinion Ramsdale has a calm about him, being more like a bear, and Pickford more like a raccoon.

Barry

Mendy has been better than I thought, but if we just compare the transfer fees and Ramsdale can keep his performances up, we can see how cheap Ramsdale was.

I just quote Transfermarkt fees now, but Mendy cost 24 million euros according to them, and Ramsdale 28 million euros. Ramsdale is 6 years younger and HG, with possibility to be England number one, one day.

I was always baffled how people thought Ramsdale was very expensive. Maybe it's a combination on how they thought he is a bad keeper, and that relegation teams always sell cheap?

But the times have changed, and without a relegation clause a player with 3 years in contract will cost a lot, when a PL place is worth so much. Now it looks like Ramsdale was a bargain. But let's not go over the top yet.

People felt it was the wrong place to spend the money. Same with the White signing and I definitely agree with that sentiment. But if the signing works out and is better than what we had then really improving any position is worthwhile. On Mendy, yeah he has started really well this season and did fairly well last season too. He was actually slightly behind Ramsdale's save % last year though and that's including the disastrous start.

drippin

People felt it was the wrong place to spend the money. Same with the White signing and I definitely agree with that sentiment. But if the signing works out and is better than what we had then really improving any position is worthwhile. On Mendy, yeah he has started really well this season and did fairly well last season too. He was actually slightly behind Ramsdale's save % last year though and that's including the disastrous start.
We would have needed to buy a CB even if Saliba stayed imo. Couldn't trust him to play so much with no full season yet and earlier injuries.

A GK was a must, and many here seemed to think we could get Onana for cheap. But like I have said, we needed a first/second GK straightaway, and Onana wouldn't have provided that with his ban and not training with the team, or playing for a long time.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I’m reserving judgement on Ramsdale until we play a team that’s not either at the bottom of the league or broken. Let’s see him in a good ol‘ mid table scrap and then we’ll know. So far, so good though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom