• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsdale: Toys Out Of The Pramsdale

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ā­

Player:Rice
Not going to judge too much on 3 games against relatively weak opposition.

What I would say though is that as a personality he has a presence and is a communicator.

Leno though a good goalkeeper in most technical facets is just too timid a character in my opinion.

So far with Ramsdale the goalkeeper and defenders feel like a unit. With Leno that's not usually the case.

I slated signing Ramsdale and I'm not ready to do a complete 180 on the back of these games but he does at least have the sort of personality I like in a goalkeeper.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ā­ļøā­ļøā­ļøā­ļøā­ļø (49)
Trusted ā­

People using two games against bottom half opposition to patronise people who judged the player off of highlights videos.

Thatā€™s arguably worse. šŸ˜‚

Shades of when Willian produced that one 8/10 performance against Fulham at the beginning of last season then the majority got gassed over it.

šŸ¤£

Common theme on A-M.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It's not that this guy has been world class or anything, it's mainly Leno being really bad for about a year now, that people want a change.

Plus even when Leno was playing well for us, he was still pretty poor at set pieces...while Ramsdale looks more commanding in that regard too, which is a big plus.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Leno is really good off his line to close down strikers when they're in on goal, has saved us loads of times because of this.
Loads of times but the narrative will change now until Ramsdale makes a mistake. Leno is a good keeper who just needs to be more commanding.

2Smokeyy

Trusted ā­

It's not that this guy has been world class or anything, it's mainly Leno being really bad for about a year now, that people want a change.

Plus even when Leno was playing well for us, he was still pretty poor at set pieces...while Ramsdale looks more commanding in that regard too, which is a big plus.

šŸ˜®

Even youā€™ve turned on your number 1? I thought you were happy with Leno when Emi Martinez moved to Villa? What has changed that much over the past season?

Leno must have stunk up the place that much for people to turn on him in a short space of time.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
šŸ˜®

Even youā€™ve turned on your number 1? I thought you were happy with Leno when Emi Martinez moved to Villa? What has changed that much over the past season?

Leno have stunk up the place that much for people to turn on him in a short space of time.

My number 1 was/is Woj, everyone else is just a cup keeper to me tbh...

Bernd was good for us up until last season, but was pretty crap last year and started this season very poorly too, was up for a change in keeper.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ā­
Loads of times but the narrative will change now until Ramsdale makes a mistake. Leno is a good keeper who just needs to be more commanding.

Yeah, this is his big problem. He doesn't seem to have the authority to command his box/defence, whereas Ramsdale seems to have that personality.

But let's see how Ramsdale does when the going gets tough and he's actually challenged as a keeper.

avenellroad

John Radfordā€™s son
Didnā€™t we **** up the away game last season against Burnley last season cos Leno **** himself and gave Xhaka a really crap ball in no mans land ?

Iā€™m sure I could count many more times where Lenoā€™s indecisiveness cost us over the course of last season. He is an amazing shot stopper but lacks severely in a lot of other department, which is why he wonā€™t ever be talked about in the upper echleon of keepers.

Ramsdale has a lot to prove but he is already quite comfortable with the ball at his feet. And he communicates well.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ā­

If he can add above-average shot stopping to what weā€™ve seen so far then heā€™s definitely better than Leno.

If he canā€™t do that then all of these nice attributes of his are pointless. Fingers crossed.

2Smokeyy

Trusted ā­

This is pure fabrication. If there is evidence that says otherwise then I have been hacked. The streets are out to get me.

omar-nod-the-wire.gif

The streets donā€™t lie.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit šŸ’ø
Dusted šŸ”»

Itā€™s not just about making saves, itā€™s about the aura the goalkeeper gives off. Leno creates chaos, Ramsdale creates calm. In a similar way to Martinez, he commands the area, he comes for crosses to take the pressure off the defence. His distribution is a lot better, he organises, he just seems to have a more resolute personality. Iā€™m sold.
Leno is clearly done at Arsenal and Ramsdale rightly has the jersey for now which is fair enough with me, but I think forum is guilty of blowing Leno's shortcomings way out of proportion.

Reading this place you'd think Leno is a complete scrub, but I will tell you all now you guys are high if you think Ramsdale would get anywhere near Germany like Leno is. I want Ramsdale to succeed so irrelevant I guess.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Didnā€™t we **** up the away game last season against Burnley last season cos Leno **** himself and gave Xhaka a really crap ball in no mans land ?
I wouldnā€™t look at it as Lenoā€™s mistake solely. Xhaka came charging demanding the ball. Both had blame in it, although I felt Xhaka had most of it. But yes, we ****ed up as you say!

Multipass

On the small sample we have, it looks like having Ramsdale on the field sets up the team to perform better. Yes we should consider that his inclusion coincides with Gabriel's return and Tomi's introduction, but I can finally see our backline taking shape and freeing up the team to actually play some football. And Ramsdale is part of that.

Leno is a great reflex shot stopper no doubt, but his shortcomings invite pressure, put our defenders on the back foot, and along with the Holding/Mari partnership just brought all our players deep and stifled attacking intent. Just look at how we set up for defending dead ball situations - 11 in the box - and Leno still got bullied against brentford in what was one of the weakest attempts I've ever seen by a keeper in the premier league to jostle for position at a corner.

On shot stopping we haven't seen much of Ramsdale yet, but he did have that one save against burnely in the second half that he did well to keep out (it was hit at some pace up over his head). Lets see how he goes up against Son and Kane.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Him and Gabriel showing fight.

That virgin Leno would never.
Deserved MoTM I'd say, was really good and saved us a few times. He showed a lot of desire at the end of the match as well, going crazy for the win. Really impressed with how vocal Gabriel was as well. Hope he can develop into a leader in the back line.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom