• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Aaron Ramsdale

Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoTed

Established Member
The fact so many write him off before he's even held a ball for us is a disgrace.
It is.

The fee is a bit eye watering but this is the reality. Most people have been banging on about signing players from within the league for years and now we are trying that strategy they are complaining about the price. There are no bargain signings within the Premiership, most teams are well off and in a position of power, if you want to sign those players then you have to massively over pay, simple as that.

He wouldn't be my choice but he is still barely out of nappies in GK terms and if we got 5-10 years service as competitive backup or even maybe down the line as number one the fee will look like peanuts.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
It is.

The fee is a bit eye watering but this is the reality. Most people have been banging on about signing players from within the league for years and now we are trying that strategy they are complaining about the price. There are no bargain signings within the Premiership, most teams are well off and in a position of power, if you want to sign those players then you have to massively over pay, simple as that.

He wouldn't be my choice but he is still barely out of nappies in GK terms and if we got 5-10 years service as competitive backup or even maybe down the line as number one the fee will look like peanuts.

Agree, why are we writing off a player we haven't seen yet who by all accounts is decent? The fee is mental, but that's exactly the same with White. Anyone calling us shills on this is being daft. I'm not defending the club, just want to see what the business looks like in the round. If the club fail to sign a quality AM and a replacement for Xhaka (if he leaves) then I'll pile into them. If there is no more movement of players (especially Willian) then likewise.

There's a huge amount of hyperbole around Ramsdale but the fact is that this would be similar to United signing Henderson - similar age, similar quality. The dip last season maybe is a bit concerning but without that he would have been a top 5 keeper in the league so choose your narrative really. Don't think it will happen anyway, surely not for £30m. Can't see us going that high.

Malky

Established Member
The fact so many write him off before he's even held a ball for us is a disgrace.
Because we’ve all seen enough of him to know he’s crap. It also makes it worse that we’re rumoured to be blowing £30M on him when there’s more pressing issues in the squad than a GK while Leno is here.
Half the rumoured price could be a risk worth taking, but £30M? Nah, it’s ridiculous.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Because we’ve all seen enough of him to know he’s crap. It also makes it worse that we’re rumoured to be blowing £30M on him when there’s more pressing issues in the squad than a GK while Leno is here.
Half the rumoured price could be a risk worth taking, but £30M? Nah, it’s ridiculous.

No you haven't. It's pure ignorance from anyone to say he's going to be rubbish. End of story.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
We have the blind leading the blind. Only way why we would even consider this transfer.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
There's no way even Arteta's going to buy this guy.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

It is.

Yeah but then there are levels to it.

Like, spending say £30M - 40M or so on Bissouma, that's quite alright. Even £40M on Tammy Abraham, ok a little eye watering but I could follow the logic if we were to make him first choice (or thereabouts) and sell Laca.

£50M on Ben White is starting to be a bit ridiculous but even then, I've heard good things about his ability so perhaps you could justify it that he'd be a long term signing and make up for it.

Ramsdale, I've heard a lot of mixed things and we are dropping £30 fking Million on a keeper. Y'all think £30 M on a keeper is play money? That is a lot, even for purchasing within the league.

Put it this way, we spent quite a bit less than that on Leno and sure last season he had some mares but the deal we got on him far outstrips dropping such a large amount on Ramsdale.

It might just be worth it to go continental and take the HG spot hit this season because it seems like there might be better deals (Onana immediately jumps to mind).

Especially as it seems like Leno is feeling to dip next year; if Okonkwo will take the 3rd spot (so atleast he doesn't take a non HG spot) then we can search for the 2nd place keeper next summer, already having brought in the #1 this year (or rather the heir to Leno).

IMO of course lol.

Barry

Yeah but then there are levels to it.

Like, spending say £30M - 40M or so on Bissouma, that's quite alright. Even £40M on Tammy Abraham, ok a little eye watering but I could follow the logic if we were to make him first choice (or thereabouts) and sell Laca.

£50M on Ben White is starting to be a bit ridiculous but even then, I've heard good things about his ability so perhaps you could justify it that he'd be a long term signing and make up for it.

Ramsdale, I've heard a lot of mixed things and we are dropping £30 fking Million on a keeper. Y'all think £30 M on a keeper is play money? That is a lot, even for purchasing within the league.

Put it this way, we spent quite a bit less than that on Leno and sure last season he had some mares but the deal we got on him far outstrips dropping such a large amount on Ramsdale.

It might just be worth it to go continental and take the HG spot hit this season because it seems like there might be better deals (Onana immediately jumps to mind).

Especially as it seems like Leno is feeling to dip next year; if Okonkwo will take the 3rd spot (so atleast he doesn't take a non HG spot) then we can search for the 2nd place keeper next summer, already having brought in the #1 this year (or rather the heir to Leno).

IMO of course lol.
Pretty much agree with all of this. Would be a crazy deal. Could still work out as a signing though (v. similar to Ben White imo)

Multipass

I’m not saying Ramsdale is worth 30m. But we shouldn’t be letting the emotion of letting a superior keeper go for 20m to cloud our judgement.

If we become a slave to our previous error then it just compounds the loss.

personally I think we should have signed Ryan when we had the chance. Now that’s off the table we need to find a Leno replacement, and Ramsdale fits the profile. For 30m though I think there’s better on the market at that age bracket but they won’t be British...

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I’m not saying Ramsdale is worth 30m. But we shouldn’t be letting the emotion of letting a superior keeper go for 20m to cloud our judgement.

If we become a slave to our previous error then it just compounds the loss.

personally I think we should have signed Ryan when we had the chance. Now that’s off the table we need to find a Leno replacement, and Ramsdale fits the profile. For 30m though I think there’s better on the market at that age bracket but they won’t be British...
Good point, we have to look forward not backward (even though I'm still unhappy with how the Martinez situation was handled).

I think keepers are still undervalued in the market, aside from a few recent high profile signings. I think a commanding, ball-playing goalkeeper would significantly improve us (Onana). I don't know if Ramsdale is that guy, I'm a little worried that clown Pickford is preferred over him in the England squad, because I think he's absolutely dreadful. Thought Henderson did well on loan before going back to ManU. I don't know much about Ramsdale, so I won't comment on his qualities.

I do wonder about his ball-playing ability, but no one can tell me about that here.

Last edited:

Barry

Good point, we have to look forward not backward (even though I'm still unhappy with how the Martinez situation was handled).

I think keepers are still undervalued in the market, aside from a few recent high profile signings. I think a commanding, ball-playing goalkeeper would significantly improve us. I don't know if Ramsdale is that guy, I'm a little worried that clown Pickford is preferred over him in the England squad, because I think he's absolutely dreadful. Thought Henderson did well on loan before going back to ManU. I don't know much about Ramsdale, so I won't comment on his qualities.

I do wonder about his ball-playing ability, but no one can tell me about that here.
Pickford's a weird one though. Never looks very convincing for Everton (at least when I've seen him) but he's a completely different story for England. He was massive throughout the Euros, apart from one game. Was very good in the last tournament and in qualifying as well. England and club form are very different things.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Pickford's a weird one though. Never looks very convincing for Everton (at least when I've seen him) but he's a completely different story for England. He was massive throughout the Euros, apart from one game. Was very good in the last tournament and in qualifying as well. England and club form are very different things.
Fair enough. Saw some shaky moments from him, but didn't watch every England game at the Euros.

Barry

Fair enough. Saw some shaky moments from him, but didn't watch every England game at the Euros.

He definitely has shaky moments, he just seems to be that sort of keeper. Some of the saves he was consistently pulling were amazing though. You just need to look at England's defensive record at the tournament. I'm not a Pickford fan either by the way. I can see why Southgate picks him though, rarely let's him down.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Probably been said a 100 times but what a **** show selling Emi to keep Leno and now we buy an even more expensive gk who’s worse and probably let Leno go for peanuts. How are these guys still in a job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom