Aaron Ramsey: Arsenal Have Retracted Contract Offer

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aevius, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Tosker

Tosker Well-Known Member

yes, I get that - which to my way of thinking we are now in a stand-off situation, rather than having his departure a certainty, as some would have it

so much could yet change, I would have thought - I personally won't slit my throat if he goes, but I am getting somewhat alarmed at the loss of so many team stalwarts in such a short space of time, with Danny and Monreal out of contract this year too

maybe 'we've got our Arsenal back', but it is rapidly becoming an Arsenal I don't know any more

TheArsenalis likes this.
  2. rich 1990

rich 1990 Not Actually a Moaner

You say that like it's a bad thing.

3. As much as I like our players, how much longer can Monreal keep bombing down the flanks? How long will Welbz's knee hold up for? And how long til Rambo spends another 3 months out?

We can rightly question whether it was worth giving Özil 350k per week, but aside from the odd back spasm or cold, he doesn't seem to get anything long term.

Ramsey is a curious one. Do I think he is worth paying 200k+? Not really. Sure, he scores the odd worldie like against Fulham. But that finish was really just about showing off. He timed the finish very well but it could just as easily have gone wide or been scuffed. Backheels look great but are not the most efficient way of shooting.

And that celebration? It just struck me as a spoiled brat not happy because daddy wouldn't buy him a new Mercedes. Sorry Rambo, but the occasional backheel goal does not warrant what you are asking for.

On the other hand, if he scored with a proper midair scorpion kick like he did for me once on FIFA, then I would beg the club to give him anything he wants lol.

4. Batman

Batman Bruce Wayne

A club with a bottomless money pit like the Manchester Clubs could afford to pay Ramsey silly money for what he actually offers which frankly is not enough. We're already pushing things with what Özil is on weekly given his average contribution and how little the team seems to be adversely affected in his absence. We definitely don't need to be adding Ramsey to that list because it will be to the detriment of better allocating those resources. And yes his celebration did smack a bit of petulance which given how the club have stood by him all these years through injury and ineffectiveness(like so many ungrateful players of recent vintage) was really a bit hilarious. If he wants to stay as a squad player on reasonable wages and Emery feels he's got use for him then fine. But if this is where it ends for him at Arsenal because he wasn't swift enough to realize the banter era is coming to a close then he's got nobody to blame but himself.

Trilly, RacingPhoton, tcahill and 2 others like this.
  5. avalonhse

avalonhse Active Member

I am ready to trade Fabinho with Ramsey plus cash. Sound crazy but Liv doesn't use him so why not? :p

Batman likes this.
  6. gunner4lyfe

gunner4lyfe Well-Known Member

Except he has done that celebration before. Years ago though so I wont say whether or not it meant something.

7. pikey2000

pikey2000 Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on what our scouting team think they can line up as replacements VS the demands of the players in question, which unfortunately we will never be privy to, so it kind of makes speculation on our part a bit pointless.

Ramsey we know is asking for De Bruyne level wages and isn't bringing De Bruyne to the pitch so that is a relatively simple one, accept less or we will find someone similar to you / spend the wage more wisely elsewhere (its not like we arent stacked in CM and AM).

Monreal I'd extend for a year in heartbeat but not beyond that i suspect he wants 2 or 3 years for his final contract so i can see why that might be stalling.

Welbz again i'd sign on for a year as we have talent coming through that may take his squad spot before too long but i suspect given his age and the fact he still wants to be an England regular he will want gaurentees on play time and a longer contract so again can see why that one may be stalling.

Complete speculation on my part of course.

I get you - its unerving to see so many players running contracts down but its also exciting to see fresh faces and a new approach.

8. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

Why? Do you think we can finish above City and become premier league champions again with our current "team stalwarts"? For us to get to where we want to was always going to require us transforming into a brand new team, you are naive if you think otherwise. We already screwed up and made life difficult for us by not adding in new blood at a faster rate.

9. Tosker

Tosker Well-Known Member

depends I suppose if you think winning things is the be all and end all of supporting a club - for me becoming familiar with the players, following their progression (or regression) and taking an interest in off field activities is important too

perhaps that is what comes of supporting Bournemouth since I was a child - becoming PL champions was never on the radar at the old Dean Court .............. though the way things are going, who knows:)

10. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

And I believe players are never bigger than the club. If the club has ambitions then it has to learn to be ruthless, rather than cling onto players who have plateaued in potential. You should be more excited by the prospect of our current players being replaced by new and better players who will achieve stuff that we couldn't in the past.

say yes and GoonerBoy19 like this.
  11. Tosker

Tosker Well-Known Member

Why should I be more excited? There is no moral dimension here - I am not willing to be lectured because I feel an attachment to players who have been a part of my life, albeit a small part, for some years

12. skip spence

skip spence Well-Known Member

It's likely that Aaron is about to hit a rich vein of form round about now. He usually takes a bit of time to really get going. Just watch.

celestis likes this.
  13. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mmhmm yes, I agree

It's even more likely that he hits that form and two games later spends two months out with an injury.

say yes, lamby22, SuperGoon and 8 others like this.
  14. Batman

Batman Bruce Wayne

My man. Cleaning up the streets before I even get there.

SuperGoon and Mark Tobias like this.
  15. Trilly

Trilly ^ If Michael Owen posted on AM

Just glad that the “Ramsey is our best player” debate/myth is finally over.

Always been clear that a player who divides the fan base so much is clearly not that great, the club deciding he’s not a 200k per week player is another nail in the coffin of the myth, the final nail will be where he goes next, he’s either downgrading to start or becoming a squad player at a top side imo.

Wouldn’t even be surprised if he ended up staying, I think he tried to get as much as he wanted from us and has now realised it doesn’t get much better for him.

Batman, lamby22, Kobi and 1 other person like this.
  16. pigge

pigge Well-Known Member

Clear case of hubris with the salary demand. Hope Emery sends him some videos of the **** he produces when he's not in purple-mode for 8 games a season. And asks him "should we play all players that play like this 200k a month?" then proceeds show how other 200k players play.

17. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

18. Beksl

Beksl Well-Known Member

Virtually agreed :lol:

Sooo, it wasn't agreed.

19. Alkane

Alkane Active Member

Haha, we called his bluff and I love it. I remeber an interview he gave few months back where he basically said it was between his agent and the club and basically absolved himself of any responsibility.

The guy got greedy, the club deemed him replacable and retracted their offer, and now his bird got twins on the way and he's realised she/him don't want move away from North London during this period. No way he agrees to leave in January unless it's to another London tem.

20. Tosker

Tosker Well-Known Member

if this means he will play flat out in the hopes we renew in the summer, then could be a win win situation all round