• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsey: BianconAaron

Do You Consider Aaron Ramsey An Arsenal Legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
it would seem Sven and Raul were simply biding their time until Ivan left - and Emery's talk of making Ramsey central to his plans suggest he was not in the loop, though I doubt he complained when the contract was withdrawn

it's becoming clearer too why Wenger had to go - this new ruthless streak running through the club would never have accomodated him

Emery never said that he was going to build the team around Ramsey. Papers began saying that when Emery first emerged as the likely new coach (basically one copying the other) and people started getting it into their minds that it was Emery's plan. It wasn't, quite obviously. When it was first reported that they had pulled Ramsey's offer Jeremy Wilson reported that it was made in consultation with Emery. Like any new coach worth his salt, he's been evaluating Ramsey up close and has determined that he's not a great fit for what he wants to do. That, combined with financial considerations, made pulling the offer the logical course of action.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Emery never said that he was going to build the team around Ramsey. Papers began saying that when Emery first emerged as the likely new coach (basically one copying the other) and people started getting it into their minds that it was Emery's plan. It wasn't, quite obviously. When it was first reported that they had pulled Ramsey's offer Jeremy Wilson reported that it was made in consultation with Emery. Like any new coach worth his salt, he's been evaluating Ramsey up close and has determined that he's not a great fit for what he wants to do. That, combined with financial considerations, made pulling the offer the logical course of action.
I can't argue with your hard facts - I never claimed to have inside knowledge as to what Emery was thinking, unlike you

Unless you are speculating just like me .....?

macka66

Not surprised that the club withdrew the offer and are now letting him go at the end of his contract. I like the sound of the new leadership, the fact that the contract offer was on the table for ages and he refused to sign it just shows that he does not want to be here. Let him go to a united and get the money that he wants we will get the replacement elsewhere. i have faith that Sven will get a better player anyway. This team is going in a good direction and we don't need players that think they are worth more than they are.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
He already did. I think Guendouzi is the reason for the Club's turnaround.

I don't think so and seriously hope not. Guendouzi is a completely different stlye to Ramsey, he's definitely more of a passer and ball carrier than someone roaming around and hustling - and I think someone of that style would still suit the team still, even if only as a squad player.

Without Ramsey we're left with only three experienced players who have been regular starters at other clubs or at Arsenal: Xhaka, Torreira and Elneny. Guendouzi, Maitland-Niles and Smith-Rowe are all talented lads and have very interesting profiles, but I really, really wouldn't want to fall back on Elneny and three kids if Granit or Lucas get injured or need rest. It's too much pressure and youngsters are prone to fluctuations of form.

If Ramsey leaves, the club will need to bring in another central midfielder. I'd like a dynamic, hard working player with a bit of technical ability and physicality - Khedira, Matuidi, Dembele, Witsel, someone like that in terms of profile, but definitely younger but still with the experience of being a regular starter under his belt.

If the youngsters mature and the club can rid themselves of Elneny down the line, another talent could be brought in.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I can't argue with your hard facts - I never claimed to have inside knowledge as to what Emery was thinking, unlike you

Unless you are speculating just like me .....?

It's a fact that Emery never said he wanted to build the team around Ramsey. None of the reports that made such a claim quoted him or even sourced the claim. So no, when I say that Emery never said that, I'm not speculating. I'm stating a fact. The rest is just common sense and relying on more responsible reporting.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I don't think so and seriously hope not. Guendouzi is a completely different stlye to Ramsey, he's definitely more of a passer and ball carrier than someone roaming around and hustling - and I think someone of that style would still suit the team still, even if only as a squad player.

Without Ramsey we're left with only three experienced players who have been regular starters at other clubs or at Arsenal: Xhaka, Torreira and Elneny. Guendouzi, Maitland-Niles and Smith-Rowe are all talented lads and have very interesting profiles, but I really, really wouldn't want to fall back on Elneny and three kids if Granit or Lucas get injured or need rest. It's too much pressure and youngsters are prone to fluctuations of form.

If Ramsey leaves, the club will need to bring in another central midfielder. I'd like a dynamic, hard working player with a bit of technical ability and physicality - Khedira, Matuidi, Dembele, Witsel, someone like that in terms of profile, but definitely younger but still with the experience of being a regular starter under his belt.

If the youngsters mature and the club can rid themselves of Elneny down the line, another talent could be brought in.

Yeah been thinking that the last few days , we are seriously lacking depth of quality in the centre midfield . Need a dynamic player .

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

it would seem Sven and Raul were simply biding their time until Ivan left - and Emery's talk of making Ramsey central to his plans suggest he was not in the loop, though I doubt he complained when the contract was withdrawn

it's becoming clearer too why Wenger had to go - this new ruthless streak running through the club would never have accomodated him

You know what I think that was more than just talk , the fact that he repeatedly played Ramsey ahead of Özil at 10 tells me he saw him playin a major role .

GoonerBoy19

Probably emery wanted to try him before letting him go, maybe Emery didn't saw as much effort or quality to offer him 200k. Ozils contract is a done deal, it was offered by Ivan and co. It doesn't mean that the club should offer everyone what agents ask for.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I think Emery probably went in with an open mind about everyone and evaluated them in action (as he should have as a new manager in a new league). It would have been foolish to have decided to build the team around a player of whom he actually would have seen very little except on video. I give Emery far more credit than that. It's not like Ramsey is an established world class player. As a manager, you need to know and see more. He needed time to evaluate Ramsey (and the rest) under game conditions. He needed to see, at the risk of cliche, what made him tick. Unfortunately for Ramsey, he was the one angling for a contract extension with an enormous raise and Emery simply decided after evaluation that he wasn't worth it.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Emery played Ramsey so often and at no.10 to have a runner and have movement in the final third because we don't have it apart from Auba and him as well no wingers stretching the pitch to create space.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser

I'd have loved Witsel at Arsenal. He is probably the most underrated player in the world. Though I see why you wouldn't take someone who played for Zenit and in China very seriously.

I agree that we need another midfielder to replace Ramsey and probably bench Xhaka. One of Ndombele, Cyprien-no idea what's up with him since returning from injury, Zakaria, Fornals or Kondogbia would be a great option. Someone with a balanced set of attributes who can fit in any combination with who we have and add a bit of dynamism/physical presence.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I'd have loved Witsel at Arsenal. He is probably the most underrated player in the world. Though I see why you wouldn't take someone who played for Zenit and in China very seriously.

I agree that we need another midfielder to replace Ramsey and probably bench Xhaka. One of Ndombele, Cyprien-no idea what's up with him since returning from injury, Zakaria, Fornals or Kondogbia would be a great option. Someone with a balanced set of attributes who can fit in any combination with who we have and add a bit of dynamism/physical presence.

I dont think Xhaka is moving to the bench anytime soon. He's integral to our game, progressing the play into the opposition half and distributing the ball to the right areas and players and keeping things ticking. Even when Xhaka isnt in the centre or on the pitch Emery has Guendouzi there, someone of similar profile, so he clearly wants a distributor in his midfield. Although Guendouzi is arguably more vertical and more of a carrier than Xhaka, but the closest thing in terms of passing and range from deep right now at the club.

Although I think Torreira could develop into a one man solution of distributor and ballwinner to open the option of having a B2B next to him, it's clear for now Emery likes to have two guys - distributor and ballwinner - at the base of his midfield with an attacking quartet in front. That tifo YouTube vid on Arsenal tactics under Emery someone posted somewhere on here pointed that out, too.

Still, if Ramsey leaves I want an experienced, dynamic and somewhat physical roamer in the squad as another tactical option for the midfield and cause I dont feel completely safe with Elneny and several young Guns as go to backup options over a whole season.

Last edited:

Jae

Still, if Ramsey leaves I want an experienced, dynamic and somewhat physical roamer in the squad as another tactical option for the midfield and cause I dont feel completely safe with Elneny and several young Guns as go to backup options over a whole season.

Iwobi maybe? Could certainly play there if we got a winger in to plug the gap he'd leave.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I dont think Xhaka is moving to the bench anytime soon. He's integral to our game, progressing the play into the opposition half and distributing the ball to the right areas and players and keeping things ticking. Even when Xhaka isnt in the centre or on the pitch Emery has Guendouzi there, someone of similar profile, so he clearly wants a distributor in his midfield. Although Guendouzi is arguably more vertical and more of a carrier than Xhaka, but the closest thing in terms of passing and range from deep right now at the club.

Although I think Torreira could develop into a one man solution of distributor and ballwinner to open the option of having a B2B next to him, it's clear for now Emery likes to have two guys - distributor and ballwinner - at the base of his midfield with an attacking quartet in front. That tifo YouTube vid on Arsenal tactics under Emery someone posted somewhere on here pointed that out, too.

If we get in a better player and improve on our central defenders while Guendouzi develops Xhaka is likely to be pushed down. One of the reasons we struggle to get the ball up quickly is because our CBs don't progress play well enough over short and long distances. Also because Xhaka's very apparent lack of agility and technical guile we're forced deeper as we have to protect this player too much.

Torreira is likely to develop even further also, yes. He doesn't have Xhaka's range over long distances but has this zip in his passes. I think he could be a dynamic B2B ball winning player as he progresses while Guendouzi grows into Xhaka's current role. AMN if he develops could grow into Torreira's competition for that spot.

But for now though I agree we need another player in there. Someone with a balanced set of attributes but good enough on the passes and technically efficient.

If we get in a winger or 2 and Nelson comes back ready, our game will open up further as well.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Iwobi maybe? Could certainly play there if we got a winger in to plug the gap he'd leave.
For me this is the best option. We desperately need an out an out winger who terrorizes defenders with tricky footwork and electric pace. Iwobi is also deceptively strong.

Reactions: Jae

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Iwobi in midfield could be a great idea, yeah. He could develop similar to Moussa Dembele. He started off at striker and near attacking areas but couldn't score/shoot to save his life but blossomed as a central midfielder as we know. Given Iwobi's skills and physique it could be a similar path for him.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Yeah been thinking that the last few days , we are seriously lacking depth of quality in the centre midfield . Need a dynamic player .
What do you mean when you say dynamic?

I take it to mean someone who covers ground quickly and gets about the pitch. Our team is getting quite slow, bar a few speed demons, we need some speed in the centre of the park imo. Doesn't need to be lightning but when you look at Xhaka, Ramsey and Elneny all sprinting like they're in water its not good, I wouldn't call Lucas slow but at the end of the day small strides are small strides.:lol:

As others have said, Iwobi could work. Not guaranteed he'll simply learn to be a CM though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom