• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsey: BianconAaron

Do You Consider Aaron Ramsey An Arsenal Legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Amazing to cap of his Arsenal tenure with some trophies this season.

One of my favorite players but it is his fault he delayed signing the contracts. I do not see the replacement coming in from outside.

I think his replacement is Emile Smith Rowe. Sooner or later, Guendouzi will be replacing Xhaka too.

If I had to pick between Özil and Ramsey at this moment of their career....I would select Ramsey at 200K vs Özil at 350K per week.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

What do you mean when you say dynamic?

I take it to mean someone who covers ground quickly and gets about the pitch. Our team is getting quite slow, bar a few speed demons, we need some speed in the centre of the park imo. Doesn't need to be lightning but when you look at Xhaka, Ramsey and Elneny all sprinting like they're in water its not good, I wouldn't call Lucas slow but at the end of the day small strides are small strides.:lol:

As others have said, Iwobi could work. Not guaranteed he'll simply learn to be a CM though.

Yes Iwobi could work, have always said that in a Dembele sort of role , even Mkhi who Wenger actually singled out as a potential centre midfielder . ANM is probably the biggest talent with his ability break lines and drive into the box is sensational . Only think I worry about is maybe his temperament isn't suited to be a full time CM. Up to him really.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Yes Iwobi could work, have always said that in a Dembele sort of role , even Mkhi who Wenger actually singled out as a potential centre midfielder . ANM is probably the biggest talent with his ability break lines and drive into the box is sensational . Only think I worry about is maybe his temperament isn't suited to be a full time CM. Up to him really.
I heard Mkhi was playing as a goalscoring CM back in his Shaktar days so that makes sense.

And yeah AMN is my big hope for CM eventually, will definitely need a senior signing for the mean time though.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
If we get in a better player and improve on our central defenders while Guendouzi develops Xhaka is likely to be pushed down. One of the reasons we struggle to get the ball up quickly is because our CBs don't progress play well enough over short and long distances. Also because Xhaka's very apparent lack of agility and technical guile we're forced deeper as we have to protect this player too much.

I'm sorry, but especially the parts about Xhaka are completely wrong, in my opinion. He lacks agility, yes, and as the lynchpin of our build up he's the one targeted by the opposition press and therefore looks prone to losing the ball under pressure more severly than others, although it is a slightly distorted perception as he's also one of the most targeted, as I already said. That's why protecting him is protecting our play. I don't get what's wrong with this. You could clearly see the team struggling to get the ball into the right areas and to the right players with Xhaka at leftback and Guendouzi in the centre; it worked in the second half against Leicester, but you could see the detrimental effect of missing Xhaka in the middle against Sporting and Palace, I think. The distribution from centre just wasn't as crisp like when Granit's there. Xhaka is severly important to the team with its current tactics to move the ball higher up the pitch and to the right players and areas and it's fairly easy to see, I think.

In terms of finding success for the team, you don't "push down" Granit Xhaka for Matteo Guendouzi. I seriously get what most people on here like about him, but to be honest he's so far off from a regular starter and even more far off of being a regular performer. The lad's got talent, sure, but his profile hasn't really been worked out yet , he lacks incitiveness, his passing could be more crisp, his decision making lacks, etc. It's all there, but not on the level needed to push down Xhaka and sincerely not on the level to be the go to guy in midfield.

And as far as protecting players goes: Pirlo always needed protecting from two agile, aggressive workhorses; Kroos and Modric need protecting by Casemiro; Gerrard and Alonso needed protection by Mascherano; etc. etc. Some players give you special abilities but come with a slight downside, if you want that extra special in your team, you got to live with that. And there's absolutely no downside to it if you make sure your team is properly build and balanced. And I actually think the midfield two of Xhaka and Torreira is a neat one.

You want to replace Xhaka with a "better" player of a different profile, someone who doesn't need to be protected, who is more agile? If you do that and don't manage to get prime Modric, you got to live with worse distribution from the centre and then you have to adjust tactics, so while an upgrade in terms of player ability will maybe rid you of the "protecting" problem, it has its own implications and own needs of adjustment which also demand balancing.

Regarding adding another midfielder if Ramsey leaves: I don't get your stance of "get a better player". What for?
Right now how the team is tactically built with the distributor/ballwinner midfield two I don't see too much sense in bringing in a nailed down starter to bench Xhaka or Torreira. To bench Xhaka you would need an absolute worldclass distributor and who's out there? Kroos? Sure, let's get Toni from Madrid. I don't see any sense in benching Torreira by an "upgrade" 'cause I don't think there's too many out there, especially factoring in Lucas' age. Changing the tactical setup to bring in a certain player of a different profile? Won't happen. Emery had all the chances to try and utilize a more clearcut B2B type of player in his midfield two in Ramsey next to the ballwinner, but he never did.

So in terms of adding a player when Ramsey leaves, I want a tactical and backup option, preferably in his mid 20s who's proven he can perform consistently on a good to very good level. In my opinion, there's no need to bench Xhaka or Torreira right now and no need to change the system.

Zakaria for 30 to 40m would be such a neat transfer. A bit pricey but a decidedly better backup option than Elneny and more consistent/experienced than the youngsters, good age, and with traits like physicality and ability to carry the ball he'd be a good tactical option for certain games or the odd adjustment to a 433. On the other hand, Iwobi could become exactly this midfield option, if the club brings in a winger.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I'm sorry, but especially the parts about Xhaka are completely wrong, in my opinion. He lacks agility, yes, and as the lynchpin of our build up he's the one targeted by the opposition press and therefore looks prone to losing the ball under pressure more severly than others, although it is a slightly distorted perception as he's also one of the most targeted, as I already said. That's why protecting him is protecting our play. I don't get what's wrong with this. You could clearly see the team struggling to get the ball into the right areas and to the right players with Xhaka at leftback and Guendouzi in the centre; it worked in the second half against Leicester, but you could see the detrimental effect of missing Xhaka in the middle against Sporting and Palace, I think. The distribution from centre just wasn't as crisp like when Granit's there. Xhaka is severly important to the team with its current tactics to move the ball higher up the pitch and to the right players and areas and it's fairly easy to see, I think.

In terms of finding success for the team, you don't "push down" Granit Xhaka for Matteo Guendouzi. I seriously get what most people on here like about him, but to be honest he's so far off from a regular starter and even more far off of being a regular performer. The lad's got talent, sure, but his profile hasn't really been worked out yet , he lacks incitiveness, his passing could be more crisp, his decision making lacks, etc. It's all there, but not on the level needed to push down Xhaka and sincerely not on the level to be the go to guy in midfield.

And as far as protecting players goes: Pirlo always needed protecting from two agile, aggressive workhorses; Kroos and Modric need protecting by Casemiro; Gerrard and Alonso needed protection by Mascherano; etc. etc. Some players give you special abilities but come with a slight downside, if you want that extra special in your team, you got to live with that. And there's absolutely no downside to it if you make sure your team is properly build and balanced. And I actually think the midfield two of Xhaka and Torreira is a neat one.

You want to replace Xhaka with a "better" player of a different profile, someone who doesn't need to be protected, who is more agile? If you do that and don't manage to get prime Modric, you got to live with worse distribution from the centre and then you have to adjust tactics, so while an upgrade in terms of player ability will maybe rid you of the "protecting" problem, it has its own implications and own needs of adjustment which also demand balancing.

Regarding adding another midfielder if Ramsey leaves: I don't get your stance of "get a better player". What for?
Right now how the team is tactically built with the distributor/ballwinner midfield two I don't see too much sense in bringing in a nailed down starter to bench Xhaka or Torreira. To bench Xhaka you would need an absolute worldclass distributor and who's out there? Kroos? Sure, let's get Toni from Madrid. I don't see any sense in benching Torreira by an "upgrade" 'cause I don't think there's too many out there, especially factoring in Lucas' age. Changing the tactical setup to bring in a certain player of a different profile? Won't happen. Emery had all the chances to try and utilize a more clearcut B2B type of player in his midfield two in Ramsey next to the ballwinner, but he never did.

So in terms of adding a player when Ramsey leaves, I want a tactical and backup option, preferably in his mid 20s who's proven he can perform consistently on a good to very good level. In my opinion, there's no need to bench Xhaka or Torreira right now and no need to change the system.

Zakaria for 30 to 40m would be such a neat transfer. A bit pricey but a decidedly better backup option than Elneny and more consistent/experienced than the youngsters, good age, and with traits like physicality and ability to carry the ball he'd be a good tactical option for certain games or the odd adjustment to a 433. On the other hand, Iwobi could become exactly this midfield option, if the club brings in a winger.
Not really. Protecting and balancing the team is a given but Xhaka has severe limitations that hamstring the team. Teams target him for those limitations which in turn weakens the team. He isn't as good as Pirlo as an individual to babysit. Xhaka isn't anywhere near the level of Gerrard, Alonso, Kroos, Modric in any capacity and more importantly not suited to the pace of the league as it is. We struggle with distribution and control regardless of Xhaka.

About Guendouzi he just needs to mature and develop to push down Xhaka. Xhaka isn't on the same level as a talent as Guendouzi is as it is.

We are going to need a better player to improve. Better than Ramsey and Xhaka. Tactical profile of an individual isn't as important as the quality of the player itself and the team's quality improving collectively as well individually. You can adjust and balance tactics as you go along. There is no set unchangeable tactical set up. Both of them aren't/weren't good enough to trust as a starter and not to mention we need competition.

I see that you are a fan of Ramsey but we need to improve on him and the club fortunately recognizes this.

We can't stay stuck with trash if we want to get out of the Europa.

Yep, Zakaria is a good player. He is not some bench warming squad player though if thats what you want. I'm pretty sure if he were to arrive he'll take up a starting spot.

Toby

He isn't as good as Pirlo as an individual to babysit.

Obviously agree re the quality. But Emery has still made the choice that Xhaka is good enough for him, and I actually agree, and that he wants Xhaka's traits in the team, which is why we set up in a way that minimizes his weaknesses, or "protecting" him with a ballwinner at his side. Babysit goes too far in my opinion. And still, the choice of midfield 2 combinations Emery has used regardless of player highly suggests there's more behind it than just deeming all the B2Bs at the club too bad to play, it looks far more like he wants specific profiles in his mid 2 and Xhaka actually fits one of those two.

We struggle with distribution and control regardless of Xhaka.

[...]

Tactical profile of an individual isn't as important as the quality of the player itself and the team's quality improving collectively as well individually.

We obviously see this stuff differently. I think with Xhaka distribution is good and we don't control games strictly via possession anymore. Also disagree on the second quote. Individual quality is very important, but I think the tactical profile is far more important and goes a longer way to improve a team's collective quality. The sum is bigger than its parts. Of course you want your parts to be of the best quality possible, but it still has to fit. Alexis is a superb example for a high quality misfit to basically any team he played for, only managing to cover it up with great, invidual output for stretches.

You can adjust and balance tactics as you go along. There is no set unchangeable tactical set up.

Yes you can. But the way Emery has set up the midfield by now suggests a clear idea on what kind of profiles he wants in there and he's working on adjusting and balancing that. So just getting a better player without reference to his profile and style of play doesn't seem like something Emery would do. He could have tried Ramsey next to either Torreira or Xhaka, but never did, while still playing Ramsey but higher up the pitch. That suggests he doesn't want a B2B in his midfield two, at least in his go to setup, and very likely won't go after one as a starter. That rules out a pretty big chunk of transfer targets. So if we were to get a better player suited to what Emery is building, we need a better Xhaka or a better Torreira - and that's pretty hard to get. Apart from the absolute standout worldclass guys who are unattainable for Arsenal, not too many spring to my mind where I'd say they're clearly better than Granit and Lucas.

Yep, Zakaria is a good player. He is not some bench warming squad player though if thats what you want.

Have to agree with you here, though. Zakaria would fit the kind of player I would want to have as the third option in midfield resp. a tactical option against certain teams or when chaning formations. In my mind he would take up most of Guendouzi's game time right now. But realistically, he's too expensive for a role and would probably want more game time.

Hans Vanaken from Bruges FC in Belgium could be a neat option for such a role though. He's been scoring ridiculous last and this season, he's 26 years old which means he has sufficient experience but isn't an oldie in his last years, he can play CM or in a more advanced role, his public profile is too low for big, big teams to come in for him as he's already in his mid 20s and playing in Belgium, and Lucien Favre wanted to bring him to Dortmund this summer. I'd be sold for a guy like him to come in this summer to strengthen squad depth quality.

But maybe this will all be settled internally. Maitland-Niles might come really good and he fits the same profile, Iwobi is certainly an option for a central mid role. I'd still have stomach aches regarding their ages and ability to perform consistently, but let's see how it turns out. Maybe next summer the only things to add are a winger and an Elneny replacement/Torreira backup for the midfield, with AMN and Iwobi taking up Ramsey's role/game time.

Last edited:

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Obviously agree re the quality. But Emery has still made the choice that Xhaka is good enough for him, and I actually agree, and that he wants Xhaka's traits in the team, which is why we set up in a way that minimizes his weaknesses, or "protecting" him with a ballwinner at his side. Babysit goes too far in my opinion. And still, the choice of midfield 2 combinations Emery has used regardless of player highly suggests there's more behind it than just deeming all the B2Bs at the club too bad to play, it looks far more like he wants specific profiles in his mid 2 and Xhaka actually fits one of those two.

We obviously see this stuff differently. I think with Xhaka distribution is good and we don't control games strictly via possession anymore. Also disagree on the second quote. Individual quality is very important, but I think the tactical profile is far more important and goes a longer way to improve a team's collective quality. The sum is bigger than its parts. Of course you want your parts to be of the best quality possible, but it still has to fit. Alexis is a superb example for a high quality misfit to basically any team he played for, only managing to cover it up with great, invidual output for stretches.

Yes you can. But the way Emery has set up the midfield by now suggests a clear idea on what kind of profiles he wants in there and he's working on adjusting and balancing that. So just getting a better player without reference to his profile and style of play doesn't seem like something Emery would do. He could have tried Ramsey next to either Torreira or Xhaka, but never did, while still playing Ramsey but higher up the pitch. That suggests he doesn't want a B2B in his midfield two, at least in his go to setup, and very likely won't go after one as a starter. That rules out a pretty big chunk of transfer targets. So if we were to get a better player suited to what Emery is building, we need a better Xhaka or a better Torreira - and that's pretty hard to get. Apart from the absolute standout worldclass guys who are unattainable for Arsenal, not too many spring to my mind where I'd say they're clearly better than Granit and Lucas.

Have to agree with you here, though. Zakaria would fit the kind of player I would want to have as the third option in midfield resp. a tactical option against certain teams or when chaning formations. In my mind he would take up most of Guendouzi's game time right now. But realistically, he's too expensive for a role and would probably want more game time.

Hans Vanaken from Bruges FC in Belgium could be a neat option for such a role though. He's been scoring ridiculous last and this season, he's 26 years old which means he has sufficient experience but isn't an oldie in his last years, he can play CM or in a more advanced role, his public profile is too low for big, big teams to come in for him as he's already in his mid 20s and playing in Belgium, and Lucien Favre wanted to bring him to Dortmund this summer. I'd be sold for a guy like him to come in this summer to strengthen squad depth quality.

But maybe this will all be settled internally. Maitland-Niles might come really good and he fits the same profile, Iwobi is certainly an option for a central mid role. I'd still have stomach aches regarding their ages and ability to perform consistently, but let's see how it turns out. Maybe next summer the only things to add are a winger and an Elneny replacement/Torreira backup for the midfield, with AMN and Iwobi taking up Ramsey's role/game time.
Fair enough but to me it looks more like Emery has little choice in regards to fielding Xhaka since we don't have another option

As for your take on tactics, I don't disagree and not saying we should disregard having to put together a well balanced team but tactics shouldn't compromise on quality we could get and you have to adapt to players one way or another. Emery has played many types of players and combinations in different role if memory serves me right. I don't think he is set on playing a Xhaka or something like that.

Torreira is great. I never said we need an upgrade on him. And yeah, he kind of validates my thinking, doesn't he? He came from Sampdoria as a relatively young lesser known player and has become a certain starter ahead of Ramsey in midfield who imo was severely lacking in many ways and at least to me become more important than Xhaka. Emery didn't buy him or even specifically suggest him or that profile of player.

Tbh, I don't know anything about Vanaken but he doesn't look like Arsenal calibre to me. His age and experience at a Belgian club isn't the same as playing at a top level club or league.

But speaking of experience and the topic of our youngsters, it would certainly make sense to add an experienced midfielder in there. It could be a relatively experienced player like Zakaria or a high quality player like Banega as a stop gap if you overlook the resale value. And tbh, I don't think we need to look too hard to find a player who could be considered an upgrade on Elneny, Ramsey and at the very least be competition or has greater potential to Xhaka for us to improve. Not to mention there are players who could play with Xhaka, Torreira or any of our youngsters in any combination if it needed. Internal solutions are great and I love the idea too but you need competition and immediate quality as well experience at a club of Arsenal's stature.

And I think we need to get more than a winger and a midfielder. We need real quality at CB and another left back. I don't trust Kolasinac. I saw very little of him as in 1 or 2 CL games previously and thought he was **** but nobody believed me.

Last edited:

TheArsenalis

Not really. Protecting and balancing the team is a given but Xhaka has severe limitations that hamstring the team. Teams target him for those limitations which in turn weakens the team. He isn't as good as Pirlo as an individual to babysit. Xhaka isn't anywhere near the level of Gerrard, Alonso, Kroos, Modric in any capacity and more importantly not suited to the pace of the league as it is. We struggle with distribution and control regardless of Xhaka.

About Guendouzi he just needs to mature and develop to push down Xhaka. Xhaka isn't on the same level as a talent as Guendouzi is as it is.

We are going to need a better player to improve. Better than Ramsey and Xhaka. Tactical profile of an individual isn't as important as the quality of the player itself and the team's quality improving collectively as well individually. You can adjust and balance tactics as you go along. There is no set unchangeable tactical set up. Both of them aren't/weren't good enough to trust as a starter and not to mention we need competition.

I see that you are a fan of Ramsey but we need to improve on him and the club fortunately recognizes this.

We can't stay stuck with trash if we want to get out of the Europa.

Yep, Zakaria is a good player. He is not some bench warming squad player though if thats what you want. I'm pretty sure if he were to arrive he'll take up a starting spot.
Xhaka won't be here for ever my friend. I don't get why people need to constantly repeat the same rhetoric about his limitations, as if there is a player out there without limitations. If emery wanted to replace xhaka, the opportunity was there and transfer window open soon again.

Guendoozi won't replace xhaka, no player currently at arsenal will but just like Arthur out of no where replaced xavi at Barcelona so will find our player in time.
Sometime it's just a coaches preference who he wants to play and the way he structure his team. Matic was really loved at chelsea now at manu, getting the same comments said about xhaka to him. Cesc was loved here now on chelsea bench, his role being played by a player I think don't possess his ability.

Toby

Emery has played many types of players and combinations in different role if memory serves me right. I don't think he is set on playing a Xhaka or something like that.
Fair enough but to me it looks more like Emery has little choice in regards to fielding Xhaka since we don't have another option

He had. He could've played Ramsey in the midfield two. And no matter how **** Ramsey you personally think is, even that wouldn't have been a sufficient reason to not try it even once. And the argument that Ramsey is too ****e actually devalidates itself by the fact that Emery played him regularly until recently, just not in the midfield two. And once Torreira got into the team the Guendouzi - Xhaka partnership vanished quite quickly, too. So Emery had other options in terms of profile to play in the mid 2, he either never tried it or quickly abandoned it once he got a better fit. That highly suggests to me that Emery prefers Xhaka in the team for his abilities and not 'cause he had no other options to put next to Torreira or at least options to try. So if Emery wants a Xhaka style distributor there, it gets hard to come up with realistic, clearly better options than the Swiss whom Arsenal could buy in terms of actual abilites and attainability in the transfer market.

Now that doesn't mean Emery won't change the team's overall tactics in the future. Could well be next season he opts to develop this season's basis into a more (gegen-)press based system which minimizes the need for a distributor like Xhaka and we will see a different type of partner for Torreira and Xhaka becoming a role player for games with a more possession based approach.

That new partner could be Maitland-Niles, could be Guendouzi, could be Iwobi or even a new guy. Depending on what we'll be looking at in terms of system a different kind of player has to be brought in. If a tactics shift is done, I think it definitely has to be a nailed on starter quality guy, if Emery keeps to this season's style I don't think we can improve much on Xhaka re: actual quality and attainability and a backup guy like Vanaken along our youngsters would do to add quality squad depth.

As for your take on tactics, I don't disagree and not saying we should disregard having to put together a well balanced team but tactics shouldn't compromise on quality we could get and you have to adapt to players one way or another.

So you think if you have the possibility to get a quality player who doesn't fit the system at all you still should get him and then worry later about him not fitting the system trying to constantly tweak it to accomodate said player?

That was one of the biggest critiques of Wenger, being opportunistic in the market. To this day he gets stick for bringing in top player Özil who doesnt fit the team style.

And it's exactly Alexis in his latter days at Arsenal and he was so disruptive to the overall play of the team especially once his product started to dry up. Selling him in the summer and getting in a more fitting winger would have been so, so better for that season. And it's also the exact opposite of what Klopp is doing at Liverpool in terms of squad building. The fit to his team and tactics is much more important to him than the initial quality of a player, as he knows he can raise that by playing him a certain way. Sure, they're looking at overall player quality at Liverpool, but their and Klopp's strength there and at Dortmund was streamlining the squad to his tactics, and not the other way round. Guardiola does the same and a good example of giving him a great player just 'cause he was available was Bayern buying Goetze, at that time still the German Messi, and Guardiola being not too impressed by that. The Galacticos are a neat example for messed up squad planning for the sake of stocking up on quality that didn't come off, too.

I'm absolutely not arguing against getting quality when possible or even compromising in terms of quality - Arsenal should always opt for the best quality option for the fit needed - but the player has to fit the manager's overall tactical approach and plans for him in that context.

Tbh, I don't know anything about Vanaken but he doesn't look like Arsenal calibre to me. His age and experience at a Belgian club isn't the same as playing at a top level club or league.

You raised the problem yourself: Someone like Zakaria wouldn't come to be a bench player. But Vanaken would, and I think for that role someone like him has enough quality. That's what I was saying here.

Torreira is great. I never said we need an upgrade on him. And yeah, he kind of validates my thinking, doesn't he? He came from Sampdoria as a relatively young lesser known player

Never implied that you said that, that was more of a general notion in terms of replacing midfielders.
On the notion of him being lesser known: Maybe, but I honestly don't think so. I'm still baffled by the seemingly weak competition we had for him. Think the club did really well in tying up that transfer early. He was playing at Sampdoria and while perhaps not a household name, still very much known to all the football heads out there and touted as a big, big breakthrough defensive midfielder in general. Think we may have gotten a bit lucky with him as bigger clubs were either looking at other options (Chelsea - > Jorginho/Saint Germain -> Weigl/Barca -> Vidal/Atletico -> Rodri) or having enough options (Real, Bayern, Utd, Liverpool, Dortmund).

I don't think we need to look too hard to find a player who could be considered an upgrade on Elneny, Ramsey and at the very least be competition or has greater potential to Xhaka

To play that game, if it's so easy:

- A central defensive midfielder in his mid to late 20s who's okay with riding the bench most of the season, sometimes not even making the squad, is better than Elneny and costs less than 15m?

- A better distributor for the central midfield who's better than Xhaka or at least looks like he definitely will be in the near future, doesn't play at a top club and won't eat up all of Arsenal's transfer funds?

With Ramsey I won't do it, as we clearly disagree on his quality much more than we do with e.g. Xhaka.

Last edited:

Jae

Replacing Ramsey (and upgrading Xhaka) is the least of our worries, have no idea what people are stressing about. We are top heavy with CM's anyway.

Xhaka has shown he can do a good job 90% of the time when you have a manager who isn't tactically inept - I see no reason to go out and buy someone better (and this is coming from someone who was never particularly a big fan on Xhaka).

What we really need to be doing is breaking the bank for a WC winger, CB and LB.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Wouldn’t say we need to directly replace Ramsey or upgrade on Xhaka. Ramsey will leave, unfortunately imo, and Elneny should be sold. He’s just a body at this point, with no clear function.

We would then need another midfielder, but it should be a different type of midfielder. We need variety. It should be an all-round CM with impressive physicality. Physical strength in midfield is what we lack. Someone like Ndombele, Sangare, Zakaria, Barella etc.

A midfield for all seasons, that should be the aim.

pikey2000

Replacing Ramsey (and upgrading Xhaka) is the least of our worries, have no idea what people are stressing about. We are top heavy with CM's anyway.

Xhaka has shown he can do a good job 90% of the time when you have a manager who isn't tactically inept - I see no reason to go out and buy someone better (and this is coming from someone who was never particularly a big fan on Xhaka).

What we really need to be doing is breaking the bank for a WC winger, CB and LB.

Was reading through the thread thinking exactly this.

If Ramsey leaves we don't need an AM or CM at the moment.

AM we have Özil, Mhki, Smith Rowe, Iwobi who can all perform that role.

CM we have Xhaka, Torreira, Geundouzi, AMN, Elneny.

Unless one of the above leaves we are stacked although we can clearly upgrade on the likes of Elneny its not a pressing issue as he barely plays.

If Ramsey leaves we clearly need to be spending the money on a LB as Monreal won't last forever and Kolasinac is not starting quality imo.

We desperately need some more out and out wingers, Iwobi is probably our closest thing to a winger, Reiss looks like he could make it but we need another starter as he works his way into the team over the next two seasons.

CB - still a very obvious weakness - Kos/Sokratis are stable but ageing, Mustafi is bang average, Mavropanos/holding/chambers are very much development - we need to find our VVD, Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Adams, Campbell etc - to be a top side you need at least one elite CB to raise the rest of the defence.

Reactions: Jae

progman07

Established Member

Totally agree on that first we need a CB and an LB, but not sure about a winger being top priority, personally I'd much rather replace Xhaka in the first team with a more agile midfielder.

My problem with him is that he is just too slow to bring the ball out under pressure, there has been a mention of Pirlo and Xabi Alonso in the thread, but I don't see Xhaka as a very similar player, he panics when he doesn't have time and space to think.

We get punished in big European games, as well as difficult PL away games due to Xhaka being too slow on the ball. Man City did not allow us to string 5 passes together earlier this year, and Xhaka, whose primary job should be to provide control is surely a main culprit?

NoOffense

Amazing to cap of his Arsenal tenure with some trophies this season.

One of my favorite players but it is his fault he delayed signing the contracts. I do not see the replacement coming in from outside.

I think his replacement is Emile Smith Rowe. Sooner or later, Guendouzi will be replacing Xhaka too.

If I had to pick between Özil and Ramsey at this moment of their career....I would select Ramsey at 200K vs Özil at 350K per week.

I don't understand this. Why would you want to select the worse, cheaper player when the money is not even yours? So you'd rather make Kroenke richer? And it's not that Arsenal would be lacking resources and had to save.

And when thinking about the wages you have to take into account the popularity of said player. Easy way to compare players popularity is compare the amount of shirt sales of the players. Özil's shirt is the most sold and Ramsey's is eight most sold so there is a lot of more incentive to pay Özil a lot more even if they were equal footballers.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
I don't understand this. Why would you want to select the worse, cheaper player when the money is not even yours? So you'd rather make Kroenke richer? And it's not that Arsenal would be lacking resources and had to save.

And when thinking about the wages you have to take into account the popularity of said player. Easy way to compare players popularity is compare the amount of shirt sales of the players. Özil's shirt is the most sold and Ramsey's is eight most sold so there is a lot of more incentive to pay Özil a lot more even if they were equal footballers.

I don't care about the popularity...just the production on the field.
Ramsey I rate higher as I think he brings more productivity. Although Özil on his day can be absolute class - you just don't get him to give you those godly performances consistently.

Ramsey is good for 15 goals a season when playing. He contributes defensively and offensively with goals/assists.

It's not my money - damn right about that. But it is my club, which is why I post on this forum and religiously follow them. If there was no Gazidis and Wenger, no way in hell Raul Sanhelli would have offered 350K to Özil. His contract offer would have been pulled too.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

Mkith got no engine anymore

Too lightweight

Hope

Less
Why are we playing him? If there is no contract why waste time on him.

He did nothing today. So sad that he replaced Auba

Bager

Unai should tell Ramsey, when gets swapped in, to stay in the middle of the pitch recieve the ball from Xhaxa, go past one player and play it to Özil. He's not a DLP and he's not a ten. but he is a ****ing great b2b when he wants to be one. Focus on staying available for our dlp and where our playmaker/runners are. That and his immense late runs into the box, thats what hjs strengths are and also would've gotten him a new contract.

But seems to be playing a bit within himself as of lately, most likely shook by the contract being taken away from him. Has not been himself since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom