• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Abou Diaby (Out)

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Re: The news we have all waited for ... Diaby

qs said:
The fact he's so often injured and can't nail down a regular position are just more reasons to get rid of him IMO.

Diaby is 23 now. Time to cut our losses, he no longer counts as a young player with potential. At Arsenal I expect more from 23 year old mifielders.

Or two more reasons why he cannot be fairly judged yet. I don't know why you can't admit that. I guess it depends which side of the fence you sit on in the end.

Its probably because we have so many pre-pubescents at this club that people get itchy trigger fingers about someone being 23 and not the bonafide finished article. Ridiculous.

qs

Established Member

Big Poppa said:
qs said:
The fact he's so often injured and can't nail down a regular position are just more reasons to get rid of him IMO.

Diaby is 23 now. Time to cut our losses, he no longer counts as a young player with potential. At Arsenal I expect more from 23 year old mifielders.

Or two more reasons why he cannot be fairly judged yet. I don't know why you can't admit that. I guess it depends which side of the fence you sit on in the end.

Its probably because we have so many pre-pubescents at this club that people get itchy trigger fingers about someone being 23 and not the bonafide finished article. Ridiculous.

:lol: Because everytime he is on the teamsheet my heart sinks. That doesn't happen because of some random dislike I have for him it happens because I've watched break down attacks, jog around and generally contribute **** all to the team.

I sit on the side of the fence that wants to see Arsenal win things. That means I don't want to see rubbish players like Diaby kept at the club for no reason other than sentimentality. If we can't be ruthless when young players fail time and time again to reach their potential then we'll keep going backwards.

Diaby offers us nothing. He's the poorest of the regularly used members of the squad. We need him gone.

stiiphunn

Established Member

qs said:
stiiphunn said:
How long we have to give him does not really matter.

Of course it does. Another season of him getting games would be detrimental to our chances of winning anything.
stiiphunn said:
The question is do you think he has the potential to become a very good player?

He has shown me nothing to suggest he will. He hasn't progressed as a player. There are players with more potential than him behind him the squad.
Would it? Honestly, I don't think so. As I said, as long as he remains a squad player for now, I really don't mind keeping him. He's more than good enough to come in once in a while and do the job.

Fair enough if you think he hasn't improved. IMO, he has progressed as a player, and it's just the beginning which is why I'd like to keep him. BTW, who do you think has more potential than Diaby in our squad? Ramsey?

qs

Established Member

Ramsey has much more potential.

Also I disagree that Diaby is good enough to come in and do a job now. He's shown as much plenty of times this season.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

qs said:
Big Poppa said:
qs said:

:lol: Because everytime he is on the teamsheet my heart sinks. That doesn't happen because of some random dislike I have for him it happens because I've watched break down attacks, jog around and generally contribute f**k all to the team.

I sit on the side of the fence that wants to see Arsenal win things. That means I don't want to see rubbish players like Diaby kept at the club for no reason other than sentimentality. If we can't be ruthless when young players fail time and time again to reach their potential then we'll keep going backwards.

Diaby offers us nothing. He's the poorest of the regularly used members of the squad. We need him gone.

I don't disagree with the basis of your judgement - I want Arsenal to win trophies too. Its where you draw the line about who we should keep and who we should get rid of that I find utterly ridiculous - and fantastically hypocritical in light of the nature of your staunch ripostes in the multitude of Denilson threads. Its also this warped view that keeping Diaby prevents us from signing a superior midfield option, given the fact that we need a new first choice midfielder and Diaby is not currently first choice, therefore should it not be Cesc/Denilson/Song or whoever actually plays there now that is preventing us from signing someone superior?

Diaby is not untypical of many of our young players, but he has not developed as quickly as some of them yet for several reasons, including some outside of his control. Those that are in his control can be corrected without major surgery at 23 if given a fair crack of the whip - you seem to think he has had it, I don't. When he has, and is still ****, sell him then. I cringe too when I see Diaby's name on the teamsheet, but mainly because its often on the left wing and leaves us horribly unbalanced - not because of his ability. I've still not seen your reply to Ibby's question about some of our other developing central midfielders being asked to play LW incidientally. How do you think they'd cope?

DaGunners

Established Member

ibby said:
He's clearly going to get better, it's just confidence he's lacking (like many of our players). I would give him one more season at least before we start calling for his head.
:lol:

qs

Established Member

The excuse that he's played on the wing is a load of ****. Why has he so often been put on the wing rather than in the centre where Denilson and Song have been given chances? Its because he's not good enough. As he's shown when he got his chances in the middle. He's unreliable and lazy therefore we can't afford to play him through the middle.

But no, no. Poor Diaby is played out of position despite being oh so ****ing brilliant in middle.

Wenger clearly loves him yet even he knows he can trust him in the middle. That says it all really.

ibby

Established Member

DaGunners said:
ibby said:
He's clearly going to get better, it's just confidence he's lacking (like many of our players). I would give him one more season at least before we start calling for his head.
Anyone who doesn't think he's going to get better is deluded. Correct me if I'm wrong but the majority seem to have more of a problem with when rather than if he's going to get better.

qs

Established Member

I have a problem with "how much" as well as when.

Viking

qs said:
I have a problem with "how much" as well as when.

I agree anyway. I wouldn't mind keeping him around, if he was to be a squad player, but I'm sure Wenger will persist in starting him, and his good games are too few and far between. I wouldn't mind seeing him loaned out though, that might do him some good in terms of development, and he wouldn't harm us.

DaGunners

Established Member

ibby said:
Anyone who doesn't think he's going to get better is deluded. Correct me if I'm wrong but the majority seem to have more of a problem with when rather than if he's going to get better.
He hasn't improved here in 4 seasons, why should anyone think he will in the future? The guy is the worst player in our current squad, doesn't have a position, and gets playing time over better options. If he isn't sold we haven't improved as much as we should have this summer.

fabo

6.51 / 10

I'll be surprised if Diaby ever becomes a top player at any club.

kamikaze80

Established Member

qs said:
You can live off potential for so long. How much longer do we have to give him? Surely 3 and half years is enough for anyone.
where does that leave wenger then? ;)

i acknowledge the obvious weaknesses in diaby's game. however, i also recognise the potential. i wouldn't cry if we sold him, but i'm not pushing for him to be sold, either. i think he's a perfectly acceptable squad player, and i have no idea why people want vela and ramsey to start so badly. ramsey is one of the most overrated players on here based on current ability, and vela has five forwards ahead of him on the depth chart, which has nothing to do with diaby.

qs

Established Member

kamikaze80 said:
qs said:
You can live off potential for so long. How much longer do we have to give him? Surely 3 and half years is enough for anyone.
where does that leave wenger then? ;)

Leaves him needing to let go of failed projects if he wants to get back to the level he has proven himself capable of.

asajoseph

Established Member

As I think I said before (so not sure why I'm repeating it), if Wenger keeps using Diaby as his solution to win midfield battles in big games, I absolutely never want to see him in an Arsenal shirt again.

I'm happy for him to stay as a squad player, but not as the 'go-to-guy' that Wenger seems to think he is.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

QS take a step back and look at what you are saying.

qs said:
The excuse that he's played on the wing is a load of s**t.

No it's not - it's not a role that anyone who's spent their entire development as a central midfielder can easily adapt to.

qs said:
Why has he so often been put on the wing rather than in the centre where Denilson and Song have been given chances?

Because we've not signed a proper LW since Pires left. With Rosicky injured, Arshavin ineligible (FA Cup aside) and Nasri moved inside for some bizarre DM experiment, who the **** else was Wenger going to put there?

qs said:
Its because he's not good enough. As he's shown when he got his chances in the middle. He's unreliable and lazy therefore we can't afford to play him through the middle.

Whatever dude, open your other eye. Diaby can certainly apply himself better but and does hang on to the ball too long, but you seem to be happy to account for lack of confidence with certain players and not others. Hardly a surprise, given you said the same **** about Song earlier in the season too.

qs said:
But no, no. Poor Diaby is played out of position despite being oh so f****g brilliant in middle.

Well he has been played out of position. That doesn't make him "brilliant" in the middle, but at least some games in his correct role would give him a better opportunity to do himself and the team justice and our full-back would not be constantly left exposed by him drifting into the middle.

qs said:
Wenger clearly loves him yet even he knows he can trust him in the middle. That says it all really.

Thats horse ****. Wenger was preparing to start Diaby in the middle but he got injured, missed the start of the season, and Denilson - who wasn't even in contention, got his break. Fair ****s to him, but don't act like Wenger wouldn't play Diaby in the middle if we weren't so lacking on the wings.

Skysports.com said:
Denilson to benefit from injury

Arsène Wenger has confirmed Denilson is set to start the season in the Arsenal midfield with Abou Diaby out for around a month.

Following the departures of Mathieu Flamini and Gilberto, Diaby was firm favourite to start alongside Cesc Fabregas in the centre.

However, Diaby has suffered a thigh injury which leaves Wenger with little option other than to field the young Brazilian.

"Diaby will not be available for the start of the season," admitted Wenger.

"So we will have to work on some things which I saw on Friday night [against Ajax]. It worked well with Denilson and Fabregas.

Have a guess why Wenger's been playing 5 in midfield for every big match since Vieira left. It ain't cos he doesn't trust Diaby in the middle, and despite what you think, selling him won't fix our issues there. Look for another scapegoat dude.

DaGunners

Established Member

Big Poppa said:
No it's not - it's not a role that anyone who's spent their entire development as a central midfielder can easily adapt to.
He spent most his time at PSG and even at first team level at Auxerre as a striker/#10 didn't he?

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Ignoring the fact he never played for PSG, no he didn't. He only played a handful of games for Auxerre's first team, but certainly for France U-19s, he was captain and played a holding role in the centre.

Jameel46

Established Member

Big Poppa said:
Ignoring the fact he never played for PSG, no he didn't. He only played a handful of games for Auxerre's first team, but certainly for France U-19s, he was captain and played a holding role in the centre.

Think you failed to mention that the point wasn't Diaby going from CM to second striker but from the centre to the wing (which is harder cos you're not playing centrally anymore). Thought I'd just mention that...

Top Bottom