• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Achraf Hakimi

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Full back is not somewhere you invest your budget when we need upgrades in the spine of the team.
All depends on system. If you’re a Liverpool then your fullbacks are worth spending big money on, a Man United not so much.

Look how much we play through our fullbacks and I think it’s worth it.

Iceman10

Established Member
The slight concern is Hakimi is an attacking wingback with lots of defensive insurance in the Inter setup. When Tierney pushes up there is some cover from Xhaka, and Gabriel/Mari are not bad and should be better next season while RCB might not be so secure with Holding, and Saliba still to acclimatise to PL. I got this concern from some discussion on a YouTube channel earlier today (Gooner Talk), it makes a lot of sense. Confidence was stated that Hakimi would still be able to adjust to our system and players, but it is still a matter of due diligence.

I leave it to others to state their confidence in Hakimi on the defensive end, and I will have to catch up on some videotape. There are a couple of domestic options still possible, e.g. Lamptey, Aarons, and all three likely are going to be 30m+ anyway.

Breezy ®

Obviously would be all for this signing. Just be really surprised if it happens.

Would be more than happy enough with either Lamptey or Emerson Royal though.

blrgooner

Established Member
All depends on system. If you’re a Liverpool then your fullbacks are worth spending big money on, a Man United not so much.

Look how much we play through our fullbacks and I think it’s worth it.
Agree with this. For us, FB`s are very important in our system. Tierney is a very good player but in our system, he looks like the main creator in the team.
I think if we have same kind of attacking ability from the other wing, our attacking play can be improved by a big margin. Of course it might have an impact defensively but I think its worth taking the risk.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I'm excited by the idea of having a good attacking fullback on the right side, but I just scrolled through nine pages and I see a lot of people say he's trash defensively, but no stats. I really wonder how he ranks with interceptions, recoveries, tackles, duels won/lost. Also wonder about his defensive positioning. He has a lot of speed so surely he can make a lot of recoveries when we play a high line?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'm excited by the idea of having a good attacking fullback on the right side, but I just scrolled through nine pages and I see a lot of people say he's trash defensively, but no stats. I really wonder how he ranks with interceptions, recoveries, tackles, duels won/lost. Also wonder about his defensive positioning. He has a lot of speed so surely he can make a lot of recoveries when we play a high line?

His attacking stats are off the charts, his defensive ones are all very poor apart from pressures. But he's not profiled as a fullback, he's profiled as a wingback or winger. For example the most similar player to him stats-wise is Lucas Vasquez.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I would love this to happen but we'd need a top CB and a midfield enforcer to Partner Partey. Its the only way we would have defensive cover while Hakimi is bombing forward. He would definitely suit our game. Him and Tierney :pray:

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
His attacking stats are off the charts, his defensive ones are all very poor apart from pressures. But he's not profiled as a fullback, he's profiled as a wingback or winger. For example the most similar player to him stats-wise is Lucas Vasquez.

The pressures makes sense in a wingback role. His current role does make it hard to know how he would do defensively in a 4-3-3. It's too easy to say he's trash defensively based on these stats, but they are admittedly quite poor. The few games I've seen he does seem fast and physical enough to make tackles and close down wingers, but I haven't seen him enough to properly judge.

It would clearly be a risky move, but I assume an analysis of how he'd actually fit in a fullback role is made to assess whether he'd be a good purchase (perhaps too generous to our current leadership). I think Lamptey's stats showed he was the only fullback dribbled past more often than Bellerin, which has caused me to get a bit cold towards him (and obviously his injuries) even though he looks a menace attacking wise.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
The pressures makes sense in a wingback role. His current role does make it hard to know how he would do defensively in a 4-3-3. It's too easy to say he's trash defensively based on these stats, but they are admittedly quite poor. The few games I've seen he does seem fast and physical enough to make tackles and close down wingers, but I haven't seen him enough to properly judge.

It would clearly be a risky move, but I assume an analysis of how he'd actually fit in a fullback role is made to assess whether he'd be a good purchase (perhaps too generous to our current leadership). I think Lamptey's stats showed he was the only fullback dribbled past more often than Bellerin, which has caused me to get a bit cold towards him (and obviously his injuries) even though he looks a menace attacking wise.

I imagine it can work, if other players also fit the role. For example playing Xhaka LCM in a pivot with an attacking LB like Tierney really works, cos Xhaka just slots into that LB area with ease. But can you repeat that on the other side? Partey has played RB before, so 100% he could play RCM in a pivot and go to RB when Hakimi is up the pitch. But can you do that at the same time with Tierney on the other side? And if you make Partey cover defensively then are you taking away from what he can do further up the pitch?

Who knows, I don't! I don't think Hakimi will come, but if he does it would be cool and fun. That's basically all I know about it.

Goonger

I imagine it can work, if other players also fit the role. For example playing Xhaka LCM in a pivot with an attacking LB like Tierney really works, cos Xhaka just slots into that LB area with ease. But can you repeat that on the other side? Partey has played RB before, so 100% he could play RCM in a pivot and go to RB when Hakimi is up the pitch. But can you do that at the same time with Tierney on the other side? And if you make Partey cover defensively then are you taking away from what he can do further up the pitch?

Who knows, I don't! I don't think Hakimi will come, but if he does it would be cool and fun. That's basically all I know about it.

Yeah, it's a difficult 1 to assess, & a lot depending on how Arteta wants to set the team up. Might be easier to protect the full backs in a more standard 433 than a 4231. If we stick to 4231,might also help to have someone more mobile alongside Partey so they can cover quicker.

Also, you can imagine being a lot more comfortable with Saliba getting dragged out wide & having to defend 1 on 1 situations than you would Luiz or Holding I would think.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Just doesn’t make sense. This would be more of a ‘wtf’ signing than Partey. One of the best wing backs in the world, just won Seria A and you decide to join mid table Arsenal who look miles off. That after only a year at your new club.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Agree with this. For us, FB`s are very important in our system. Tierney is a very good player but in our system, he looks like the main creator in the team.
I think if we have same kind of attacking ability from the other wing, our attacking play can be improved by a big margin. Of course it might have an impact defensively but I think its worth taking the risk.
That’s why I can see someone like Saka even being sold if we can spend on fullbacks. In artetas system the fullbacks are the most important players

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Just doesn’t make sense. This would be more of a ‘wtf’ signing than Partey. One of the best wing backs in the world, just won Seria A and you decide to join mid table Arsenal who look miles off. That after only a year at your new club.
Yeah it’s defo not happening. Not sure why this thread is a thing. 😂

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
5 minutes with Mikel and Hakimi will be signing on the dotted line.

You are dead right though, moving from Madrid, to Dortmund (loan), to a firing Inter to a dysfunctional Arsenal, whilst in your playing peak makes zero sense.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
That’s why I can see someone like Saka even being sold if we can spend on fullbacks. In artetas system the fullbacks are the most important players

We dont need to sell Saka though, with AMN, Guen, Bellerin, Nketiah, Holding, Chambers, Elneny, Torreira we have over £100m of sales.

Goonger

Remember, he convinced Willian to sign with a vision to win the Champions League within 3 years. Still on course for that! ;)

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐

The rumour is that Inter's finances are f*cked and they haven't even been able to pay Madrid for Hakimi yet. That's the long and short of the rumour really. If you take financial trouble out of it then Hakimi wouldn't leave Inter in a hundred years. Still sounds like a fanciful rumour though, even if Inter did have financial problems and were forced to sell, you'd imagine he'd just be sold to another CL team.

Latest posts

Top Bottom