• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Adrián López Álvarez

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Re: Adrian Lopez Alvarez

Sydney Gooner said:
outlaw_member said:
We need two attackers who are a level above the likes of Walcott and Podolski, both of whom would ideally be our support options.

We would do well to get one attacker that is a level above Podolski and Theo in January. Getting two borderline world class players in January is asking for too much Wenger needs to decide what position in our front is more in need of strengthening immediately then choose a target and get Dicky Law to do his thing. I'm still undecided over whether the need for a top class wide forward/winger is more urgent than that of a top class striker because I think Podolski ,as the best finisher in the squad, is potentially our best striker if he gets a run of games there.

there's something potentially lethal with the podolski walcott combination. it has to be supplemented by the right system of course, but i'm not exactly sure what kind of player will make that system possible. both are immense in physical qualities, perfectly suited for counter-attacking setup. that's why quick-thinking, tidy and accurate creator like mata on the wing would be perfect. i know i babble on about the one that got away, but we may reproduce that with cazorla.

in fact i believe the diminutive spaniard will receive the most freedom out wide that having to be the tactical and technical focal point through the middle. it's easy to man mark and flood the center against rigid 3-man systems, that's why messi is always dropping deep, mata's always drifting, nasri and rvp were incredible at keeping our tempo instead of the current laborious attempt at possession.

cazorla drifting would solve the problem of tight marking our mids suffer. it would also make the best use of his abilities - dribbles in 2nd and 3rd of the pitch, short, quick passes with closeby teammates, give-and-goes, layoffs, runs from deep. freedom and more space to get on shooting opportunities. we don't necessarily need a creator or long-passer stationed rigidly through the middle. he's often asked to support our striker through a congested middle, in which he'd actually have more freedom this way.

provided we bolster middle options, or diaby/rosicky pull their fingers out

Vela

Established Member

Anyone seen a lot of Adrian? If so could you tell us more about him. E.g. is he the striker we need etc.

gooner_23

Adrian is not that bad of a player, from the little I've seen I'd say he's a little like a more talented version of Gervinho. But when players like Isco and David Villa are available why go for Adrian? Sure they may cost around 16-17 million and Adrian might cost around 12. But surely the extra 4 million can be justified when speaking about talents like Isco and Villa.

evoh_1

Established Member

4 million is alot to Arsène its over half his yearly wage he'd never spend that just to get a bit more quality.

blaze_of_glory

gooner_23 said:
Adrian is not that bad of a player, from the little I've seen I'd say he's a little like a more talented version of Gervinho. But when players like Isco and David Villa are available why go for Adrian? Sure they may cost around 16-17 million and Adrian might cost around 12. But surely the extra 4 million can be justified when speaking about talents like Isco and Villa.

What makes you so sure they are available?

gooner_23

evoh_1 said:
4 million is alot to Arsène its over half his yearly wage he'd never spend that just to get a bit more quality.

True, Arsène has proven to be incredibly stingy with the cash. But we're not talking about just a "bit" more quality. We're talking about one player who is Spain's highest goalscorer of all time, who still has a massive amount of talent and should be able to produce for at least 3-4 more seasons. And another player who will definitely be a starter in the future in Spain's midfield, which is a massive feat.

Adrian is a couple tier's down in comparison to these two.

Bourne

Established Member

I can't help but feel underwhelmed by this potential transfer. It feels like the Gervinho/Hazard scenario again. Here's hoping it's a bit of Wenger magic type of signing.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It is understood that a fee of £12m could be enough to push through the Adrian deal, which is lower than the £14.7m release clause in the forward's contract.

Despite scoring for the Spanish national team this season, the forward has started just six of Atletico's 17 La Liga matches, scoring two goals.

Nevertheless, Wenger has received excellent feedback from his scouts on Adrian, who has the versatility to play anywhere across the front three and has been hailed in some quarters as the new Villa.

He has a proven scoring record at age-group level for his club and Spain, won the Golden Boot at the 2011 European Under-21 Championship - scoring five goals for the tournament winners - and followed that up with 18 goals for Atletico last season.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/01/04/3647589/arsenal-make-formal-david-villa-approach-as-they-prepare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... ey-prepare</a>

Floating

Established Member

blaze_of_glory said:
gooner_23 said:

David Villa is looking unlikely, but Isco has a well-known release clause in his contract.

Sam the Duck

Floating said:
blaze_of_glory said:
gooner_23 said:

David Villa is looking unlikely, but Isco has a well-known release clause in his contract.
Isco is also unlikely to move since he won't be able to play CL football for Arsenal. He'll certainly want to wait until the summer.

I do agree that we should aim higher than Adrian though.

leo_ense

Established Member

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/369934/Arsenal-in-pole-position-to-land-Adrian-Lopez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/ ... rian-Lopez</a>

blaze_of_glory

lol great, they may let him go because he's been playing like garbage. Just perfect.

MDGoonah41

Established Member

from the limited times ive seen him, he looks technically sound and good with both his head and his feet. i dont think he'd have a problem if he wasn't automatic first choice here. its tough to say how he would perform here. maybe there are other factors at work in madrid that are unsettling him, he comes here and lights the world on fire.

we're short in attack. we need people.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Floating said:
blaze_of_glory said:
gooner_23 said:

Isco is going to sign an extension, so his release clause will be going up considerably, probably to 25-30M. He's happy at Malaga with Pellegrini... for the next 2/3 seasons anyway

So Isco isn't available as he wants to stay and nor is Villa, as Barca have said so. Its not like Wenger can put 16M on the table and pick Villa off the shelves. Barca will sell for a crazy bid but we aren't PSG.

Kanonier

AFCG7 said:
That plays into our hands to be fair. We are a well run club financially.I am sure a Falcao will not bankrupt us.. i am not talking about a PSG/City/Chelsea type spending spree on 4 or 5 players on big wages. Just one.

I completely agree with you. A top team like Arsenal should have at least one elite player that will help the team with a world class goal, pass or tackle when the team needs it the most and can help you achieve silverware in the local league, Champions League or Europa League which gets you big money and sponsorships. Also, they help boost the team's and the supporters' morale, it sells tons of kits and Arsenal gear, and it attracts new supporters. The board of directors at Arsenal have chosen to manage this club like a business, but they don't even seem to be doing this right. We clearly have the money to spend on any player in the world except Leonel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, but we choose to bring in only young players or mediocre players from inferior leagues. Imagine the effect that signing a player like Edinson Cavani, Neymar, Stefan Jovetic, Karim Benzema or Radamel Falcao would have at Arsenal in terms of the team's results, the quality of the squad, match attendances, and kit sales. Yet the board thinks that saving money by signing a player like Loic Remy is a fantastic business idea. In order to make money you have to spend money. With this I don't mean that we should go out and spend like ****** idiots such as $hitty or Chelsea, but rather more strategically in key investments that will help boost the club's overall performance and thus bring in even more money.

a_fourteen

Established Member

my only concern with lopez is that he's an inside forward. he tends to stay very tight. if our forward line is podolski, walcott and lopez we will not be able to stretch defenses.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Probably the best you can hope for in January is aplayer like Lopez. He could be another Adebayor as in a January signing who gives us a bit of a spark.

fabo

6.51 / 10

Really think this would be another average signing. We'd still need to bolster the attack in the Summer.

Sydney Gooner

Established Member

fabo said:
Really think this would be another average signing. We'd still need to bolster the attack in the Summer.

That goes without question. But even then with next season potentially being Wenger's last I wouldn't be surprised if its another underwhelming Summer but this time not of Wenger's doing.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom