• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Adrien Rabiot

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
I've read in several places that they had a very good working relationship. Here's what Rabiot said about Emery:

"Blanc had certain things going for him but I think Emery is a little closer to the players. This is a coach who really communicates with everyone. He is asking us our opinion after the sessions, what we liked, what we didn't like.

"He asks if you are not too tired after training. This is really important for the staff to know as they can then adapt [the training sessions]. They need to know if we can withstand the workload being asked of us. Communication is essential, not only in football but in all sports. This is what I find really good about Emery."

It was reported by serious sources there has been an important disagreement between Unai and Rabiot about his best position.

Unai sees him more as a modern CDM like Xhaka/Motta, Rabiot wants to have a much more offensive role even though he has never been great playing in a more offensive role.

And it was one of the reason why Rabiot hasn't signed a new deal when Unai was the coach because he was unhappy not to play as a box 2 box midfielder.

This is what Unai says about Rabiot:

"« Rabiot n’aime pas vraiment jouer n°6, il préfère jouer 8, mais moi je préfère qu’il joue 6. C’est pour cela qu’après l’élimination face au Real, je lui ai dit qu’il jouerait 6. »

"Rabiot doesn't like to play as a CDM, he wants to play as a CM but I want him to play as a 6."

https://le10sport.com/football/ligu...-emery-sur-le-positionnement-de-rabiot-373695

Tbf he would be a decent upgrade if he comes to play instead of xhaka, in this modern CDM role. But if it's to fill Ramsey's shoes, it's not a good idea.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

It was reported by serious sources there has been an important disagreement between Unai and Rabiot about his best position.

Unai sees him more as a modern CDM like Xhaka/Motta, Rabiot wants to have a much more offensive role even though he has never been great playing in a more offensive role.

And it was one of the reason why Rabiot hasn't signed a new deal when Unai was the coach because he was unhappy not to play as a box 2 box midfielder.

"« Rabiot n’aime pas vraiment jouer n°6, il préfère jouer 8, mais moi je préfère qu’il joue 6. C’est pour cela qu’après l’élimination face au Real, je lui ai dit qu’il jouerait 6. »

Unai doesn't like to play as a CDM, he wants to play as a CM but I want him to play as a 6.

Tbf he would be a decent upgrade if he comes to play instead of xhaka, in this modern CDM role. But if it's to fill Ramsey's shoes, it's not a good idea.

Maybe with Torreira, Guendouzi and Xhaka as our midfielders he’ll have to play Rabiot as an 8.

Don’t know who else we’ve got who can even play that role.

Aevi

Hale End FC

Unai doesn't like to play as a CDM, he wants to play as a CM but I want him to play as a 6.

Emery wanting Rabiot to play as a 6 could have been circumstantial though, as he might have needed him there. Here, we're missing an 8 instead, and he could fill in there now.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Emery said: “Let’s talk about Rabiot. He’s a central midfielder, who is more comfortable playing as a defensive midfielder rather than a creative one. Even if he remains more of box-to-box, rather than a defensive midfielder.

“When you want to play with a defensive, creative and box-to-box-midfielders in fixed positions, Rabiot finds himself confronted to a problem. He has to run, run, run and not play in a fixed position statically. And even less so with his back turned on the action.

“Rabiot doesn’t really like playing as a defensive midfielder, he likes playing as a box-to-box, but I prefer him as a defensive midfielder. That’s why after the elimination against Real Madrid [in the 2017/18 Champions League], I told him he would play as a defensive midfielder.

“In that position, he can be faced with play and switch around with [Marco] Verratti. He is more competitive in these conditions. With certain players, you can’t impose a strict idea. You have to adapt yourself to their characteristics in order to win in individual and collective competitiveness.”

I understand why we want him. The midfield has been a bit of let down this season. Actually a huge let down. Rabiot is probably the best we can hope for in the market. Switch him on instead of Xhaka or Guendouzi and we go up levels.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Emery wanting Rabiot to play as a 6 could have been circumstantial though, as he might have needed him there. Here, we're missing an 8 instead, and he could fill in there now.

It was purely for tactical reasons & how Unai sees the player
From this link this is what he says:

https://le10sport.com/football/ligu...-emery-sur-le-positionnement-de-rabiot-373695

" Parce qu’à ce poste, il peut se retrouver face au jeu, avec un rayon d’action large, permuter avec Verratti. C’est dans ces conditions qu’il est le plus compétitif"

He says that he's better playing from deep because he has more space to operate, and he can see & influence the game much better from that position.

Emery wanted to make Rabiot the Thiago Motta successor. And that's where he played his best games in a PSG shirt

Aevi

Hale End FC
It was purely for tactical reasons & how Unai sees the player
From this link this is what he says:

" Parce qu’à ce poste, il peut se retrouver face au jeu, avec un rayon d’action large, permuter avec Verratti. C’est dans ces conditions qu’il est le plus compétitif"

He says that he's better playing from deep because he has more space to operate, and he can see & influence the game much better from that position.

Emery wanted to make Rabiot the Thiago Motta successor. And that's where he played his best games in a PSG shirt
Fair, thanks.

I'd still take Rabiot here as a 6 over our options tbf.

blaze_of_glory

Seems like we've been linked with this guy every window for three years. I'll believe it when it happens.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Rabiot is class as a 6, not so as 8.

once again I wouldn't be surprised if this was some kind of a plan to save money. Get Rabiot in for free and cash on Xhaka. you get same position, similar player, but get money to invest in other areas.

I said the same with Laca rumors.

Malky

Established Member
Not sure about the relationship with Emery, that and Rabiot has proven to be a selfish ****, but he's a ****ing outstanding player. And he's on a free!
We should 100% take the risk. If things don't work out we can always sell him for a small fee.

Malky

Established Member
Rabiot is class as a 6, not so as 8.

once again I wouldn't be surprised if this was some kind of a plan to save money. Get Rabiot in for free and cash on Xhaka. you get same position, similar player, but get money to invest in other areas.

I said the same with Laca rumors.
Would be excellent business to sell Xhaka and replace with Rabiot on a free transfer. It comes with a risk because of Rabiot's attitude, but could give us an extra £30-40M to spend on other positions.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

"Rabiot doesn't like to play as a CDM, he wants to play as a CM but I want him to play as a 6."

Just because Emery wanted him to play a certain position in the PSG team doesn't mean they have a bad relationship. I've read a number of things indicating their relationship was and is a good one. Ed Aarons wrote about him in The Guardian a month or so ago, detailing Rabiot's problems with Blanc and with Tuchel, but things were going well under Emery, who was playing him regularly.

Also, just because Emery wanted him to play a defensive role in that PSG team (in the same interview as the quotes you provided, he spoke about why he wanted Rabiot playing next to Verratti) doesn't mean he can't be a box-to-box midfielder or that Emery doesn't believe he can. I don't know what plan they may have for him (if they are actually interested), but Emery is of course intimately familiar with his abilities, so I trust they know what they're doing when it comes to Rabiot.

Keep in mind that reports of bust-ups and fallings out are often overblown. There were reports of a falling out between Verratti and Emery, but Verratti wrote a column explaining his frustration and adamantly stating that he had a great relationship with Emery.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Sounds like he was being forced into finding something positive about Emery and the only thing he could come up with is that Emery allow players to have easier training session if they are tired.

Did you dig deeper? I'm certain there was some talk on here that Rabiot and Emery didn't get a long because Emery wanted him to play dmc(like he wants from all of his midfielders) but Rabiot wanted to be more of a box-to-box type of midfielder.

But anyway, if the relationship is good between them then we might have a distance chance of having him but we will have to pay a good wages I think for him to come here.

I've seen quite a few things that asserted their relationship was good. The Ed Aarons piece in The Guardian detailed Rabiot's problems with Blanc and Tuchel, but indicated that things were going OK under Emery, who was playing him regularly. There was also talk of a bad relationship between Emery and Verratti, but the midfielder wrote a column himself saying this just wasn't the case and their relationship was good. Sometimes little things get overblown in the media.

In any case, I guess if they do have a bad relationship we won't be seeing him in an Arsenal shirt anyway. We'll find out soon enough. A good relationship would seem to give Arsenal a good fair shot at him. But you're right, the wages won't be cheap. Great transfer
fee though!

Top Bottom