• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Afriyie Acquah

Sam the Duck

Afriyie Acqua
20 year old defensive midfielder from Ghana
1,79m

<a class="postlink" href="http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/6/54/60193/Sports/Africa/Ghanas-Acquah-on-Arsenal-radar-.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... adar-.aspx</a>

Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger has decided to send scouts to watch Parma midfielder Afriyie Acquah when he takes part in the Ghana squad for the Africa Cup of Nations, which kicks off in January.

The French tactician is preparing a 10-million euro bid to sign the midfielder when the winter transfer window reopens, according to Ghanaian website Ghanasoccernet.

The 20-year-old midfielder is currently on a season-long loan at Parma, coming from fellow Italian Serie A side Palermo.

Acquah is expected to debut with the Ghana national team in the Africa Cup of Nations after he replaced injured Emmanuel Agyemang Badu in the qualifier sessions.

Reports in Africa have linked Arsenal with a swoop for £10 million rated Ghanaian Afriyie Acquah.

The midfielder is set to play for his country at the African Nations Cup next year, and the club are planning to send scouts to watch him, before deciding to follow up their interest, meaning any deal is unlikely to go ahead this January, but rather next summer.

The player has famously been compared to fellow countryman Michael Essien, and is currently playing in Serie A.

Here are five facts about him...

1) Acquah is just 20, born in January 1992, four days after Paul Merson hit an equaliser for the Gunners away to Wimbledon in a 1-1 draw in the old first division.

2) He currently plays for Parma, where he is on loan until the end of the season from Palermo with who he signed in 2010, where the club's sporting director described him as the next Essien.

3) Acquah is a defensive midfielder, and has been tipped by his former mentor to win the African Footballer of the Year award in the future and even eclipse Iniesta and Xavi.

4) Acquah has already played in Britain, honing his craft in Northern Ireland with FC Glentoran's academy during 2007 and still maintains contact with the club who helped him on his way.

5) He is a Ghana international, scoring on only his second international appearance back in October against Malawi.

evoh_1

Established Member
Re: Afriyie Acquah - defensive midfielder

No more africans unless super talented, we cannot keep losing half the squad every other jan-feb.

evoh_1

Established Member

Really?

I thought they just changed it to bring it in line with other major tournaments and prevent clashes though it was still every 2 years.

Thought it was morroco 2015 -> libya 2017

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

On 29 January 2011, Morocco won the bid to host the 2015 edition and South Africa won the right to host the 2017 tournament. But due to the 2011 Libyan civil war, Libya and South Africa traded years with South Africa hosting in 2013 and Libya hosting in 2017.
yep I thought they had changed it to 4 but its still every 2 years

GDeep™

League is very weak

What happened to Anthony Annan, I wanted him, right dirty little bastard, like an African Lee Cattermole.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

jmsmtthw28 said:
On 29 January 2011, Morocco won the bid to host the 2015 edition and South Africa won the right to host the 2017 tournament. But due to the 2011 Libyan civil war, Libya and South Africa traded years with South Africa hosting in 2013 and Libya hosting in 2017.
yep I thought they had changed it to 4 but its still every 2 years
Trust me, you'll know when/if they do. I intend to start 27 threads when it happens.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan

jmsmtthw28 said:
ACN is now every 4 years

You deserve a demotion for this.

I took your word for it in another thread and hearing this has now ruined my day. Shame on you.

Azeem Khaja

Player:Ødegaard

'....eclipse Xavi and Iniesta'

Former mentor could well be his agent.
No, thank you.

Airknight

Established Member

Yes

Someone we can nickname "Acquaman" is someone i'd want at Arsenal.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/?action=read&id=411214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/?action=read&id=411214</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.football-italia.net/28986/arsenal-bid-%E2%82%AC9m-acquah" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.football-italia.net/28986/ar ... C9m-acquah</a>

According to these italian sources we will bid 9m euro for Acquah.

Goons AFC

I know little about him, but we need help at defensive mid. Anyone watch Parma?

Goon_si

I watched him play for Palermo a few times, didn't see anything special. But that was last season, don't know how much he improwed in the last year or so.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

He's not a starter at Parma, and he averages 1.7 tackles a game as a DM and less inter, although more than half of his games were as sub, skewing this a tad.

Now he might be talented for a 20yo but if we are in for him, he's nothing more than another project

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

ArsenesNO1Fan said:
He's not a starter at Parma, and he averages 1.7 tackles a game as a DM and less inter, although more than half of his games were as sub, skewing this a tad.

Now he might be talented for a 20yo but if we are in for him, he's nothing more than another project
Agree. If anything I'd like to see a little more of Frimpong. I wonder if Frimpong has scuppered his Arsenal chances by declaring for Ghana.

jus2nang

GDeep said:
What happened to Anthony Annan, I wanted him, right dirty little bastard, like an African Lee Cattermole.

Yeah I'd have taken Annan a couple of years ago. Acquah by the way hasn't made the preliminary squad for SA'13 so he'd be available straight away. If we were going to get a Ghanaian midfielder there are one or two I'd take ahead of Acquah to be honest.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member

To be honest ( and this is coming from a Frimpong fan), unless frimmers has an outstanding loan period i don't think hes gonna make it for us, just way to many major injuries early in his career to allow him to develop to his full potential. Shame really because i had high hopes for him, may have been given a bit more time by wenger if he had probably declared himself for England since wengers been going through this British fetish ...

DontPushMe

Frimpong has been horrendous at Charlton by all accounts

We shouldn't be factoring him into future plans

As for this guy, honestly I've never heard of him but we need that type of player right now, we miss song more than anyone thought we would

Latest posts+

Top Bottom