• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: 2019/2020 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Think the discussion is healthy, the fact that he has ambition to play in his preferred position is a good thing.

However, that time will come once he has shown his worth to the team, and earned the manager's trust in whatever position he's needed in.

Additionally there's absolutely nothing wrong with being fullback, if you're a good player you can influence the game from anywhere. Just ask the likes of Trent and Robertson. Meanwhile Chamberlain is still dreaming about becoming the next Gerrard, whilst having no impact on Liverpool's success.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Why did the camera cut to AMN so much, David Luiz talking to him like he was saying “I told you so” Arteta hugging him like he got back his kidnapped son. What’s going on?

I think its partly because of the recent stories about him wanting to leave, but also because AMN despite his super cool exterior is a confidence player and a bit of fragile lad compared to some of the others - no surprise due to his family situation which will have put so much more pressure on him. He's got so much ability, but often plays a bit within himself, and the stick he was getting earlier in the year at FB seemed to really affect him, hence his statement about don't judge me, I'm a midfielder out of position.

I think Luiz may have been telling him how good he can be at full back? Either way great to see him getting the love of the senior defender and the boss, as that will be what makes him stay and helps him reach his potential.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Can’t find the video now but it was one of the least impressive motm performances you’ll see in a match where both teams had nothing to play for in the league anymore. He also got hooked at halftime against Östersund after an abysmal performance.

Ostersund was bad. At Old Trafford he was excellent - relying on some teenager's youtube compilation is hardly a subsitute for watching the game. There's a reason why Pogba was bigging him up afterwards. He was also brilliant in that fa cup game vs Southampton.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Ostersund was bad. At Old Trafford he was excellent - relying on some teenager's youtube compilation is hardly a subsitute for watching the game. There's a reason why Pogba was bigging him up afterwards. He was also brilliant in that fa cup game vs Southampton.
Niles, Jeff and Ox in midfield in that game I think. Excellent viewing.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That's still one of our best midfield performances of the last 5 or so years and nobody remembers it :lol:

AMN was the #6 that day and screened very well. I was convinced that day that was where he was gonna play. Didn't expect the RB conversion at all.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
This guy has the tools to play anywhere it seems. At the moment, he seems to play to negate the speed and strength of the opposition but there is more to his game. It's going to be hard to get a game at CM especially if we sign Partey, but I think he'd compliment him and add some steel and tenacity in midfield. I look forward to seeing him on the pitch now.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Whilst his performance was good yesterday it doesnt necessarily mean he is sticking around. He wants game time and unless we can guarantee that, which I dont think we can, then he is likely to leave. The fee will be decent fee and reinvested into the XI.

The only scenario I see him staying is if others leave and he is happy being a utility player.

Fallout

his 1v1 defending was unreal yesterday, did he allow a single cross?

poor end product on the other end but he's not left footed.

ive always rated AMN a lot, but objectively, once the concentration issues are fixed, it seems he can be really really good. i hope we keep him.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I think its partly because of the recent stories about him wanting to leave, but also because AMN despite his super cool exterior is a confidence player and a bit of fragile lad compared to some of the others - no surprise due to his family situation which will have put so much more pressure on him. He's got so much ability, but often plays a bit within himself, and the stick he was getting earlier in the year at FB seemed to really affect him, hence his statement about don't judge me, I'm a midfielder out of position.

I think Luiz may have been telling him how good he can be at full back? Either way great to see him getting the love of the senior defender and the boss, as that will be what makes him stay and helps him reach his potential.
Where did he make that statement?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Well, the point being made is that while the player has excelled in a full back role, he’s earned the right to prove he can play in a position he claims to be his most comfortable at some stage. Not necessarily now.

I’m unsure why that’s controversial tbh. The likes of Lahm, Alaba, Sergi Roberto and Kimmich all played in midfield as youth players, broke into the first team as full backs, and earned game time in midfield as they gained experience.

The overlap makes a lot of tactical sense if you think of the task required by a modern CM when the full back pushes forward.

Kimmich comparison is a good one. It's odd how people cant see why he would be able to play central midfield. As the inverted full back in Artetas system he was so comfortable when he moved centrally. He is comfortable under lapping.

He takes his time on the ball and isn't phased if a bit of pressure approaches. He doesn't panic in crowd scenes. You have players like Ceballos who turn and twist into trouble, players like Xhaka who pass it back first time if it isn't the right ball for him to control. AMN and Tierney were exactly the same. Took their first touch, assessed the options, didn't see anything, held onto it a little longer, then made the pass. AMN passes between the lines. He is very cute with his passing. He had the most dribbles in the team also. Plus he has insane recovery pace and a very good engine. That isn't mentioning his 1v1 ability and passing range that nobody gives him props for.

In a midfield 3 he would be such an asset especially if he can go to the right of it. Arteta says he trusts him, so maybe he will play him there when he feels the time is right.

Also people worried about AMN leaving. It's not like he has 1 year. He had 3 years and we sont want to sell. It's a case of him breaking into the midfield and playing the way he currently is can only stand him in good stead. Outstanding vs Wolves and excellent vs the second best team in the league.

He is so good 1v1, if United get through we will need him vs Greenwood and the same if Chelsea get through.

say yes

forum master baiter
I actually think he’d be pretty silly to leave. No top club is going to give him minutes at CM given how unproven he is there, and dropping down a level will wreck his career trajectory if he doesn’t excel.

Would have thought he’d be best advised to stick with Arteta here. Might not get a lot of minutes at CM but he’s so tactically flexible I can see him getting a huge amount of use in a squad role. Lots of fun things Arteta could do with him as an option in the FB position, particularly if we stick with the 352.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
I watched the game. All I’m saying is that he just had a decent game at DM, nothing special that would be brought up constantly in discussions if it was a performance from an established midfielder. If he didn’t have a difficult time at RB under Emery I doubt that it would get mentioned this much.

Manberg

Predator
AMN needs to appreciate his versatility and accept his role as an important utility player. Every good side has them. Wenger had them. He will get loads and loads of game time. I don't want to hear stuff about "I need to be a midfielder" etc.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
But AMN is not Kimmich. Kimmich is one of the best footballers on the planet, it's not at all useful invoking his name in a discussion about AMN, it serves no useful purpose. Same goes for names like Lahm and Alaba, they're generational talents.

Honestly right now the closest player I see to AMN is maybe Wan-Bissaka, like a really good defensive fullback with fantastic recovery pace.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
But AMN is not Kimmich. Kimmich is one of the best footballers on the planet, it's not at all useful invoking his name in a discussion about AMN, it serves no useful purpose. Same goes for names like Lahm and Alaba, they're generational talents.

Honestly right now the closest player I see to AMN is maybe Wan-Bissaka, like a really good defensive fullback with fantastic recovery pace.
They are examples because they are midfielders who've spent the majority of their careers playing as full-backs.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I'll be sad to see him go but I respect the fact he believes and wants more in his career. If he is willing to risk a "comfy" life in Arsenal to become the CM that he wants to be then all praises to him. I say comfy because there's every chance he may never play for a better club than Arsenal in his career.

I think he may be difficult and stubborn but he's determined and rather than sit on his bum and play Fortnite till his back hurts; he wants more and he should be respected by all Arsenal fans.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I actually think he’d be pretty silly to leave. No top club is going to give him minutes at CM given how unproven he is there, and dropping down a level will wreck his career trajectory if he doesn’t excel.

Would have thought he’d be best advised to stick with Arteta here. Might not get a lot of minutes at CM but he’s so tactically flexible I can see him getting a huge amount of use in a squad role. Lots of fun things Arteta could do with him as an option in the FB position, particularly if we stick with the 352.

Yeah that’s rarely what a young professional wants to hear. It has to be a 2 way conversation. I believe in Arteta’s ability to figure out a solution though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom